Leaf now or Leaf later... Ugh!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW, now driving a 2014 ocean blue Leaf SL. Quite happy with the vehicle and terms. I also recommend just taking the plunge. It's like a computer: if you want to avoid obsolescence, wait until six months before you depart this world, then get one.

After some negotiating, they wouldn't move from the car price much, but they agreed to give me 1500 more for my trade in and remove a random fee for $229. After 14500 for a trade and fees (they wouldn't budge on the doc fee, not sure if that's a colorado deal but most dealers around Boulder say they won't negotiate the doc fee) the cost for 2015 SL with premium package they want: 18149.75 + tax.. after 14500 trade in. That seems like a pretty slick deal. I told them I'd come see it. :p

I did all negotiating via email lol. Much less stressful than in person. 0% apr 36 month loan and 0 down needed. Its not official until I sign Friday though.

My wife has an ICE so this wouldn't be our only car.

Looks like a good deal.

The Leaf is a throwaway car IMHO. Buy a brand new one, get $13.5K back in cash thanks to rebates and drive it until it no longer makes the commute work. Then sell it to someone who doesn't need to drive 35miles one way and buy your Tesla.

We owe it to the newbies (and I was one not long ago) to actually read their posts before responding. That is a 17.5 mile commute each way, not 35 miles.

LeftieBiker said:
Looks like a good deal.

The Leaf is a throwaway car IMHO. Buy a brand new one, get $13.5K back in cash thanks to rebates and drive it until it no longer makes the commute work. Then sell it to someone who doesn't need to drive 35miles one way and buy your Tesla.

We owe it to the newbies (and I was one not long ago) to actually read their posts before responding. That is a 17.5 mile commute each way, not 35 miles.

Thanks, I hope its not a trick to get me in, but I think it will hold.

And thanks for reading my post thoroughly haha, yes that is a 17.5 each way commute, so nice and short. Even in dead of winter with aged battery I think I'd be ok. I thought maybe they had a typo with the 35 miles one way.

Also I am a terrible Boulder person, I don't bike haha. I know it would be easy for lots of folks around here, but that's not my idea of fun.

Electric-assist bike are great. There is a topic here on them. It's a real blast going faster up hills than on level ground...although maybe not in Colorado!

We have our second LEAF, a 2014 that replaced our 2011 model. We have leased both of them. There is a hidden cost of ownership over leasing. That is depreciation of the vehicle even if it just sits in the garage. That can easily be $300/mo. on a $35,000 car. When that is added in to the gas savings of around $200/mo. (our experience) the lease looks pretty attractive and you insulate yourself against technological obsolescence.

It's been more than 3.5 years since the original Leaf was released. Many leased in the anticipation of technological advances in 3 years. And what changed since then? Not much really, more options to choose from but all are basically rehashing of the same thing. Just saying it may take a while before the ongoing Leaf model becomes obsolete. There will likely be offerings with longer range but they will be extra $$$, after all you can get a Tesla or a RAV4 EV even today.

Valdemar said:
It's been more than 3.5 years since the original Leaf was released. Many leased in the anticipation of technological advances in 3 years. And what changed since then? Not much really, more options to choose from but all are basically rehashing of the same thing. Just saying it may take a while before the ongoing Leaf model becomes obsolete. There will likely be offerings with longer range but they will be extra $$$, after all you can get a Tesla or a RAV4 EV even today.

Depends on one's definition of "obsolete", but to me the 2015 represents some significant and desirable improvements over the original

- heat pump for more efficient heating
- heated seats/wheel
- battery heater
- more cargo space (partial removal of rear "hump")
- better instrumentation (SOC meter)
- improved battery heat tolerance
- better prices

Some of these can make a real difference. Truly I was hoping for more range for 2015 but I will lease again, enjoy the improvements and we'll see what the market looks like in 2018. There is going to be an inflection point. Not sure when but it will come.

They are nice improvements indeed but are not sufficient for me to feel like my 2011 is a leap behind in terms of the looks, performance, range, or features. Mine is paid off and with the 2011 resale prices flattening out after taking a big initial hit I expect that my cost of ownership over 6 years will be lower than if I leased for 2 consecutive 36-mo terms for the kind of mileage I'm putting on the car. A major out of pocket repair may change it of course, but given very good track of reliability record of Japanese made Leafs I'm hoping I'll be in luck to avoid that. The original battery pack is definitely a disappointment and the window for warranty replacement is closing soon, but it should work for my needs for another 3 years.

Nubo said:
Depends on one's definition of "obsolete", but to me the 2015 represents some significant and desirable improvements over the original

- heat pump for more efficient heating
- heated seats/wheel
- battery heater
- more cargo space (partial removal of rear "hump")
- better instrumentation (SOC meter)
- improved battery heat tolerance
- better prices
Add to that list:
• Off button for heater
• 6 kW charger
• B mode regen braking

For someone in the snowbelt, the cold weather package and heater-off button are rather important improvements over the early 2011s.

Back