Leaf Gen 2 - New Nissan LEAF World Premier on Sep 5, 5:30 PM PDT

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IF there is no self-parking, and assuming that Around View is now standard, I might just omit the $2200 "Tech Package" which now appears to be worth only the originally-leaked price of $900.

I really hope the seats are fixed in the 2018 Bolt.

The configurator is missing options because they will not be available at Nationwide launch in Jan. Expect extra option (light leather, green body color) in March

DaveinOlyWA said:
No matter where u saw it, u can ignore the 62 mph limit

I've now seen more than one video of test drives setting the ProPilot way higher than 62 mph. Obviously, a pretty significant typo by Nissan USA. It would have been quite comical and maddening here!

edatoakrun said:
jdcbomb said:
I've now seen more than one video of test drives setting the ProPilot way higher than 62 mph...
PP set to 85 mph, at ~12 minutes, into this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=811&v=ncHybhwvxY4

Can we end this exchange now?

No.

I took the sentence to mean that full PP mode (hands off) will not move the car faster than 62 mph. You can set the speed to a higher value.
I think left unclear relates to DRCC alone, which hopefully will move the car faster than 62 mph if traffic allows.

edatoakrun said:
jdcbomb said:
I've now seen more than one video of test drives setting the ProPilot way higher than 62 mph...
PP set to 85 mph, at ~12 minutes, into this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncHybhwvxY4

Can we end this exchange now?

If it can be set to 85MPH, why does the US press release say up to 62MPH? Which one do I trust them to deliver on? I don't want to get my hopes up when they could easily say "we never promised ProPilot above 62MPH. Didn't you read our press release?"

There are no consumer delivered Nissan Leafs in the US to confirm this. Until then, I'm going to go by official information released, not YouTube videos of pre-release models.

Anyway, I wouldn't be the one putting my money on it. I'm very happy with my Bolt.

DaveinOlyWA said:
The configurator is missing options because they will not be available at Nationwide launch in Jan. Expect extra option (light leather, green body color) in March

Looks like they wer showing off a teal LEAF in Tokyo. I really like that color!

https://youtu.be/kAysSoy8_Pc?t=37s

Nubo said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Looks like they wer showing off a teal LEAF in Tokyo. I really like that color!

https://youtu.be/kAysSoy8_Pc?t=37s

yeah, would LOVE that color but pretty sure that is not coming to the American Market. Pretty sure the option we had was more a pale green

Since Pro Pilot talk is staying here: I have a small hope that when Nissan talks about upgradable tech features, they are specifically hinting that next year Pro Pilot will be upgraded to have Pro Park, and maybe a higher speed limit. Because if not, I'll be thinking hard about saving $2200 by omitting the Tech Package.

LeftieBiker said:
Since Pro Pilot talk is staying here: I have a small hope that when Nissan talks about upgradable tech features, they are specifically hinting that next year Pro Pilot will be upgraded to have Pro Park, and maybe a higher speed limit. Because if not, I'll be thinking hard about saving $2200 by omitting the Tech Package.

I talked to one of the engineers (one of the VERY few) who had technical knowledge of the car and he states adaptive CC works from zero to 90 mph. He did say there was a limit of 3-4 seconds if at a standstill where hitting the resume button would be required to start up again.

Now in my situation I was doing lane changes so the steering assist might not work and the lines frequently grayed out on me but the adaptive CC DEFINITELY worked at speeds well above 62... The reality is I care MUCH less about the steering and much MORE about the adaptive CC

Not sure if this has been posted, but this shows 2018 Leafs being built and some testing at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CGMGDK9_SY

I believe the antenna w/the Leaf in the chamber and stuff in the driver's seat is them testing blasting all sorts of high intensity RF at all different frequencies at the car to make sure nothing bad happens. Toyota's shown similar videos during the SUA PR disaster.

Not sure why everyone is moaning and groaning. I find it amazing they basically fit 40kw worth of power in the same space that used to be the original 24kw battery. Other than tesla Nissan helped shape the future of the EV generation. What if the leaf was never built and sold world wide. What incentive would other automakers have to build an EV and strive to out due one another? Sure the leaf is lacking compared to its competitors but surely you have to understand the market they are aiming for. Most people's commute is less than 20-30 miles one way. Honestly driving from Victorville to Rancho Cucamonga for work my 2013 does fine. Do I have to charge when I get to work? You bet! But when was the last time I had to sit in a long gas line at Costco to spend $45 in gas on my Hyundai Sonata? Been a good solid 2 months from when i purchased my leaf. I have probably spent a grand total of $50 in electricity since then. My family and I use the leaf for quick drives around town and all those mikes would add up in my gas car. So, to get double the mileage at a cheaper price looks like progress to me. There will always be something better that will come out that will be better but that's evolution. Eventually EV vehicles will become the norm and longer range vehicles will be plenty to choose from. So let's just be happy that Nissan has made the leaf and has inspired other auto makers to jump on the and wagon. Cause more choices out there the more exposure EVs will get and more r&d will be made to better the technology. For now my 2013 does what I need it to do and my hyundai will pick up the slack for the really long road trips. By the time I'm ready to upgrade my leaf I'm sure we will have 250-300+ mile ranged leafs available then.

Not sure if this has been posted, but this shows 2018 Leafs being built and some testing at the end.

Thanks! I did NOT know that Mummenschanz did the final painting! ;-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mummenschanz

IMG_0311-620x413.jpg

Some more info on Nissan Leaf's ProPilot, including speeds:

http://insideevs.com/2018-nissan-leaf-drive-review/

"With the ProPilot engaged on the highway, platooning with the flow of traffic is a breeze. The system is not very aggressive (there’s not way to get it to pass the car in front of you without taking control of the whole experience), so people in a hurry will feel the need to override what could be seen as AmateurPilot, but if you’re just commuting to work and all the lanes are full, ProPilot makes things easy."

That makes it sound like the 62MPH limit is surely in place. Some discussion in the comments here:

http://insideevs.com/2018-nissan-leaf-drive-review/#comment-1312285

Lots of people are moaning & groaning because Nissan was teasing a 60kWh battery years ago & didn't deliver. They advertised ProPilot as some amazing system, yet is limited in the US, limited in speed & already seen in many other vehicles (just with perhaps less marketing). The whole ePedal thing is exactly the same thing as L in a Bolt. Overall the only thing that can be said good about the Nissan Leaf is it looks less ugly, is a bit faster & improves range on the lower end of vehicles -- which don't get me wrong, is an improvement, but underwhelming.

Don't forget the base model will be limited in availability & is critically stripped, like charging.

Leegalecio said:
I find it amazing they basically fit 40kw worth of power in the same space that used to be the original 24kw battery.
I agree.. A decent effort..
What I think it most important is price point.. They kept it lower, and I think that's probably most important to consumers..
People are finally getting used to some electric cars with decent range, but they are still a bit spendy..

Nissan kept the price down and added range..

Is it enough range??? Time will tell...
(Probably not enough for me (120 mile round trip commute), and not sure I will wait for the longer range option... I'm getting impatient.. ;-) )

But I think it's a good step..

Would I have preferred 200+ miles to start? Yeah.. But not if that priced it where the Bolt is..
I think it's important for Nissan to keep the prices down... IMHO..

desiv

They really should have had the 60kWh / 200+ mile version ready for the premier. It would have satisfied both crowds: the ones who want a cheaper model with less range, and the range hunters looking for options beyond the Bolt & Model 3. They are promising a longer version, but why do they need yet another year for it? They were teasing a 60kWh battery years ago & by the time their "longer range" Leaf comes out, the Bolt will have been in consumer hands for nearly 2 years.

phr00t said:
They really should have had the 60kWh / 200+ mile version ready for the premier..
I'm guessing there is some actual reason, probably involving size of the pack..
Yeah, they were showing a mule with a larger pack a while ago, but that doesn't mean there were able to get it to fit in the current design nicely...
Might also be related to the type of batteries in the pack, and maybe a contract with a different battery vendor will be needed?
So, then, if there are these issues, do you not launch now and wiat for the issues to be fixed, or do you launch with the 150 mile version and release the 200+ when you are able? I think it's better not to wait, especially with the Bolt out there now..
Also, its possible that they are looking at the Bolt sales (not bad for an EV, but not flying off the lots) and decided not to rush the larger pack...

Either way, it will be interesting to see what happens to Leaf AND to Bolt sales..

desiv

phr00t said:
They really should have had the 60kWh / 200+ mile version ready for the premier. It would have satisfied both crowds: the ones who want a cheaper model with less range, and the range hunters looking for options beyond the Bolt & Model 3. They are promising a longer version, but why do they need yet another year for it? They were teasing a 60kWh battery years ago & by the time their "longer range" Leaf comes out, the Bolt will have been in consumer hands for nearly 2 years.

Couldn't have said it better myself. This level of complacency from Nissan (and poor value for the given range: http://insideevs.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/111-5.png) is exactly why I am now shopping around for a Bolt. Surprisingly, the lease numbers are almost identical to what I am paying now for my 2014 LEAF lease! I absolutely love my LEAF and how forward-thinking it has been for all these years, so it makes me sad that it is now being neglected like this in terms of value.

desiv said:
phr00t said:
They really should have had the 60kWh / 200+ mile version ready for the premier..
I'm guessing there is some actual reason, probably involving size of the pack..
Yeah, they were showing a mule with a larger pack a while ago, but that doesn't mean there were able to get it to fit in the current design nicely...
Might also be related to the type of batteries in the pack, and maybe a contract with a different battery vendor will be needed?
So, then, if there are these issues, do you not launch now and wiat for the issues to be fixed, or do you launch with the 150 mile version and release the 200+ when you are able? I think it's better not to wait, especially with the Bolt out there now..
Also, its possible that they are looking at the Bolt sales (not bad for an EV, but not flying off the lots) and decided not to rush the larger pack...

Either way, it will be interesting to see what happens to Leaf AND to Bolt sales..

desiv

Nissan is self-reportedly the EV leader of the world... yet they have all these "reasons" & "issues" that kept them from doing what other EV manufacturers have done years earlier? Save me the excuses, they seriously dropped the ball & need to be called out on it.

Bolts sales are generally low due to low availability in some markets & a lackluster advertising campaign. The Bolt is an amazing vehicle otherwise.

Back