LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mtndrew1 said:
The Ioniq EV has a heat pump and heated wheel.

The button for the steering wheel heater can be seen on the center console below the shift buttons in this image:

https://goo.gl/images/2ND5Vy

Interesting to see the seats are both heated and cooled. And push button shifting. But what is the button two to the right of the steering wheel heater that looks like a P spraying an antenna?IMG_5999.JPG

P is for PDC. Parking Distance Control. That switch is always available for vehicles that have parking sensors
in the front. Sometimes you need parking sensors without switching to reverse :) And you can switch
sensors off in some scenarios (including in reverse).

Ok, did you guys miss this: http://pushevs.com/2016/11/11/information-2017-nissan-leaf/
rendering-of-possible-facelifted-2017-nissan-leaf-front.jpg

The other information I got is that the new battery is already in production at Sunderland, United Kingdom and will also be available to the Nissan e-NV200 electric van. It won’t be the same as the one used in Renault Zoe made with LG Chem battery cells.

I hope that's not the new Leaf, that is a special kind of ugly. I find the current Leaf ugly as sin, but that is worse.

I think it is a big improvement over the current LEAF, but nowhere near as good as the IDS Concept.

We hopefully will know January 5th what the new LEAF looks like.

Here's the rendering of the back:

2017-Nissan-LEAF-rendering-1.png

The rising window sill line is my biggest gripe.

I think that looks great! But I agree, there should be a 30kWh version along with the 40kWh version. But I will have absolutely NO interest if they don't integrate a liquid cooling system for the batteries, because the next EV I purchase, I fully expect to last me 200,000 miles.

Durandal said:
I think that looks great! But I agree, there should be a 30kWh version along with the 40kWh version. But I will have absolutely NO interest if they don't integrate a liquid cooling system for the batteries, because the next EV I purchase, I fully expect to last me 200,000 miles.

If they have active thermal management, I won't buy it. So I hope that you don't get what you want.

It looks like a Toyota/Lexus front end stuck on the Leaf. I wouldn't think they would do that so to me the photo is questionable. I think they could come up with something more resembling an EV that a ICE (radiator) car.

NavyCuda said:
Durandal said:

If they have active thermal management, I won't buy it. So I hope that you don't get what you want.

Ok, are you trolling?

Every other BEV on the market has active thermal management, and as a result the batteries don't degrade like on the Leaf. Why would you NOT want active thermal management?

I'm not trolling. Everyone else is taking the lazy route using active management. Sure Nissan will piss off a few people like you but in the end they'll have better battery chemistry and a significantly simpler battery pack. Remember, active management takes up space in the pack and increases the complexity of the car. I also live in a region that is nearly ideal for the battery.

NavyCuda said:
I'm not trolling. Everyone else is taking the lazy route using active management. Sure Nissan will piss off a few people like you but in the end they'll have better battery chemistry and a significantly simpler battery pack. Remember, active management takes up space in the pack and increases the complexity of the car. I also live in a region that is nearly ideal for the battery.

Half thumbs up. You are on the right way.
What I would "recommend" Nissan to do is different pack for different regions.
In my climate there is absolutely no need for active cooling. Here I need pack heating
(much better system than Leaf has now). Same in UK and many other countries.
In hot climate you don't need heating elements. But you need cooling. OR.... better chemistry.
And it even doesn't have to be liquid or gas cooling. Forced air cooling is reliable and very cheap (i-MiEV).

Just for people to know (who are so angry that Nissan doesn't have active cooling).
Tesla has it's active cooling system set to 55C and passive at 40C. That is 131F and 104F respectively.
Soo... no. Active cooling is not necessary. Especially for those vehicles that don't have DC-port.
Leaf ends up (pretty much always) with battery at 10C above ambient while heavily using and AC-charging.
Or up to 20C above ambient with multiple DC-charging cycles. (+18F and +36F accordingly).

Active cooling is necessary:
a) high performance vehicles and / or
b) long range EV-s (check my signature) and / or
c) supercharging capable (check my signature)

d) extremely hot regions (more than 40C for weeks) and chemistry is not appropriate.

Durandal said:
...Every other BEV on the market has active thermal management..
False

="Durandal"

... and as a result the batteries don't degrade like on the Leaf...
False

="Durandal"

...Why would you NOT want active thermal management?
Because the evidence available to date is that insulating the battery pack and adding a coolant loop from the air conditioning system degrades overall BEV performance and efficiency, with marginal improvements (if any) on battery life in hot climates:

https://avt.inl.gov/vehicle-type/all-powertrain-architecture

Durandal said:
...there should be a 30kWh version along with the 40kWh version. But I will have absolutely NO interest if they don't integrate a liquid cooling system for the batteries, because the next EV I purchase, I fully expect to last me 200,000 miles.
It is very unlikely that any 30 kWh to 40 kWh Battery pack in a vehicle the size of any four + seat BEV available today will have greater than 70% of it's original capacity (EOL) after ~200k miles of normal driving, due to the large number of charge cycles required to cover that many miles.

The additional cycling required by active cooling may accelerate battery degradation slightly, or by reducing pack temperature increase battery life slightly, depending on the ATM design and specific operating conditions.

In terms of energy efficiency and total cost over the life of the BEV, it is hard to imagine any operating conditions where pack insulation and liquid cooling will provide any actual benefits, so I doubt the GEN 2 LEAF will use it.

Don't be concerned that Nissan incorporate thermal management. If they don't have it, just buy an EV car that does. By 2018 you will have more choices. I'm thinking the 2018 IONIQ Electric with the promised 200 mile plus battery, might be worthy of a good examination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back