LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the face-lifted 2017 leaf doesn't become available until midyear, and/or it only has a 30kwh pack and no other improvements, I'll probably be forced to lease a Bolt. That's assuming, of course, that GM offers a similar lease deal, applying the full $7500 to the lease...

That's right; It is Nissan's policy not to offer an upgrade battery path for it's older models which is the main reason their resale value is so low. The battery cost more than the used Leaf in some cases. The chassis are fine; but, the battery is spent and cost $6,000 plus to replace for another 30-50k mles. Some cars have had only have 30k miles of usage and the battery is spent. BMW and VW have an upgrade policy and Tesla has improved their batteries right along...Nissan has not. shown a significant improvement in battery range in six years. This is not a good policy and a good reason not to buy a Leaf. The lease is the less risky way to go.

NavyCuda said:
fotajoye said:
There are about 250,000 2011-2015 Leafs that have been left high and dry with no battery upgrade path; Is Nissan offering the 41 kWh pack to their older model Leaf customers?
What an entitled post. There is no obligation to offer anything for previous model years beyond the federally mandated parts support.
IMO, what is significant about Nissan having dropped the ~24 kWh pack from the USA market late in the 2016 MY, is that it suggests Nissan may end ~24 kWh pack production world-wide, and then may provide a 30 kWh pack upgrade purchase option for USA LEAF owners in the not-too-distant future.

Back on-topic, IMO the almost total lack of changes from the 2016 to 2017 MY LEAFs may be a hint that Gen 2 is not far off and the 2017 MY may have a relatively short production run until Gen 2 LEAF enters production.

If ~30 kWh is enough for you, you will probably be able to get a great deal on any 2016 or 2017 MY LEAF.

For buyers/lessees in high-subsidy states and regions, this almost certainly will remain cheaper (to you, not other taxpayers) than buying a 30 kWh pack upgrade for an older ~24 kWh LEAF anyway.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
I'm hearing rumors that Leaf 2 may be unveiled at next Friday's LA Auto Show.

This would be excellent! I had heard it would be on January 5th (at CES?).

NeilBlanchard said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
I'm hearing rumors that Leaf 2 may be unveiled at next Friday's LA Auto Show.

This would be excellent! I had heard it would be on January 5th (at CES?).
Either one or both would be excellent! Here's my "hope": They show in January and release the new, 40 KWh 2018 model at the end of March (Nissan fiscal year end), with sales following in April. :lol: Nope, it's not gonna happen. How about they introduce the 60 KWh IDS concept car this January instead? Now, that would make more sense. They released Leaf I back in 2010 just AFTER the Volt was released. So it would be fitting that they have been in stealth mode, and will release their Bolt competitor just about the same time. That would leave the Leaf 2 redesign and larger battery for Fall 2018 (probably more likely).

So much for that poster from the beginning of the year who said the LEAF 2 was going to beat the Bolt to market (IIRC the posted said both were equally preproduction, discounting the fact that specs and pics of the production Bolt were already available).

Reddy said:
They released Leaf I back in 2010 just AFTER the Volt was released. So it would be fitting that they have been in stealth mode, and will release their Bolt competitor just about the same time. That would leave the Leaf 2 redesign and larger battery for Fall 2018 (probably more likely).
I'm not sure I follow you. Are you saying that Nissan's "Bolt competitor" is a new car separate from the Leaf? And the Leaf will truck on for two more years largely unchanged?

IMO more likely is the Leaf 2 IS the Bolt competitor and will be released spring 2017 as a 2018 model.

IMO more likely is the Leaf 2 IS the Bolt competitor and will be released spring 2017 as a 2018 model.

More like Fall 2017, by which time I will have been forced to lease another car. Unless of course, NMAC decides to offer one more lease extension to bridge that gap.

If you are going to lease a car, the new Hyundai EV is now a possibility; ain't nothing unique about the current Leaf models. In fact the Hyundai claims more range than the Leaf.

fotajoye said:
If you are going to lease a car, the new Hyundai EV is now a possibility; ain't nothing unique about the current Leaf models. In fact the Hyundai claims more range than the Leaf.

Does it have a heat pump? Heated steering wheel? QC or SAE Combo port? Some sort of 2 or 4 camera system? Will Hyundai apply the full tax credit to the lease agreement?

LeftieBiker said:

More like Fall 2017, by which time I will have been forced to lease another car. Unless of course, NMAC decides to offer one more lease extension to bridge that gap.
I'm still holding out hope that Nissan will beat the Model III to market, but you are probably closer to the truth.

I'm sorry the timing doesn't work for you. That's another downside of leasing - much stricter deadlines. For me, i am glad I bought out my lease and can upgrade when the right car comes along, not just when my lease is up.

LeftieBiker said:
Does it have a heat pump? Heated steering wheel? QC or SAE Combo port? Some sort of 2 or 4 camera system? Will Hyundai apply the full tax credit to the lease agreement?

Can't tell. No. Doesn't look like it. Yes. Probably.

http://m.hyundaiusa.com/ioniq/

fotajoye said:
Don't know about the small stuff; but, Hyundai claims better range because of better efficiency.

Without a heat pump the Hyundai will have far worse range in Winter than an SV or SL. Without a heated steering wheel I can't lease one.

LeftieBiker said:
fotajoye said:
Don't know about the small stuff; but, Hyundai claims better range because of better efficiency.

Without a heat pump the Hyundai will have far worse range in Winter than an SV or SL. Without a heated steering wheel I can't lease one.
The "28 kWh" Ioniq reportedly has slightly greater available battery capacity, and significantly higher efficiency than the "30 kWh" LEAF.

And yes, the Ioniq has a heat pump.

So you should expect 10% to 30% greater range on a full charge from the Ioniq than from the LEAF, under most driving conditions.

See the dedicated thread for details:

Hyundai Ioniq BEV, hybrid, and PHEV.

...Hyundai predicts a maximum range of 124 miles—well short of Chevrolet’s 200-plus-mile claim for its new Bolt—but with a much higher fuel economy equivalency rating from the EPA: 134 MPGe city, 136 highway, versus 128/110...
http://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the-latest/2017-hyundai-ioniq-korean-electrified-trifecta/2100001440/
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21136&p=475012&hilit=ioniq#p475012

"30" kWh LEAF:

114 MPGe
126 101
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSearch.do?action=noform&path=1&year1=1984&year2=2017&vtype=Electric&pageno=2&sortBy=Comb&tabView=0&rowLimit=10

The heatpump, if present, will address the range in Winter issue. That leaves the lack of a heated steering wheel (advanced cardiovascular disease makes it essential for me) and a front camera, and how hard Hyundai is going to try to offer good lease deals for those who can't claim the tax credit. I'm not hopeful.

The Ioniq EV has a heat pump and heated wheel.

The button for the steering wheel heater can be seen on the center console below the shift buttons in this image:

https://goo.gl/images/2ND5Vy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back