LA Times Article on Utility Discounts for charging at home

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyZEVer

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-socal-electric-car-charging-discounts-20130708,0,7820390.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

latimes.com
Charging electric cars at home: Utility discounts compared

By Catherine Green

7:00 AM PDT, July 13, 2013

Electric car owners can get special discounts from utilities to charge their vehicles at home, but the amounts vary widely among power companies, according to a new study of charging costs.

The study by Northeast Group calculated that Los Angeles Department of Water and Power customers pay 53 cents per gallon of gas equivalent to charge at home, 40 cents cheaper than the average cost of discount programs nationwide.
Southern California Edison customers choose from one of two discounted rate plans, depending on their usage habits, costing $1.11 or $1.24 per gallon equivalent. Pasadena Water and Power customers pay either 49 cents or 65 cents. San Diego Gas & Electric offers a much less generous rate, with consumers paying $1.62.

The rates offered can be an additional incentive for drivers to switch to electric, which already knocks a hefty chunk of change off the amount they pour into their cars each month. The U.S. Department of Energy launched its online tool eGallon last month to show EV drivers just how much they save compared with gas vehicle owners.

Even without the special utility rates, EV drivers pay about $1.14 per gallon equivalent -- less than half of the national fuel average of $3.65. According to the DOE’s measure, California’s average for a gallon of gas is $3.98, compared with $1.51 for an electric gallon equivalent.

To compare each of the 24 utilities in the U.S. offering discounts, researchers assumed 70% of charging was done during off-peak hours (typically overnight and weekends), with 1,100 miles driven per month at a rate of 3 miles per kWh (the mpg equivalent for an electric vehicle).

Hawaiian Electric Light Co. customers pay the most, at $2.51 on one of its rate plans, while Indianapolis Power and Light customers pay just 34 cents. Hawaii's eGallon average is on the high end, about $3.69, nearly the same as a gallon of fuel.

According to the study, Connecticut and New York are in the process of filing for approval of their own special rate programs. Texas has developed public EV charging infrastructure but has limited residential charging plans.

The study’s findings underscore that even though EVs often have higher sticker prices than their gas-powered peers, fuel savings continue to be a top-selling point for new buyers. That’s where utilities, researchers said, will play a “critical role” in advancing the consumer acceptance of electric cars.

kentuckyleaf said:
I used the website and picked "Kentucky" The website replied with $0.02 for the eGallon. That can't be correct, my calculations have placed it closer to $.080 for a eGallon (@ Prius MPG equivalent)

I entered Kentucky and got $0.92. Are you sure you read the screen correctly?

If you are trying to gauge your cost to drive a LEAF, the method will overestimate your costs because it uses an average energy economy for EVs that is less efficient than the LEAF is.

If you drill down, the formula is:

eGallon ($/gal) = FE * EC * EP

Where:

FE is the average combined fuel economy of a comparable gasoline car, assumed to be 28.2 mpg for average comparable 2012 car

EC is the electricity consumption per mile, average of the five top selling PEVs, assumed to be 0.35 kWh/mile

EP is the electricity price for the region in $/kWh

For my 2011 LEAF, my lifetime electric energy usage measured at the power panel was .305 kWh/mile. So for my LEAF, this web site overestimates my cost/mpge by 15% (0.35/0.305) before we even get to the cost of electric power.

Using this formula and my TOU Super Off Peak rate of about 10 cents/kWh, my cost per eGallon is

28.2 * 0.305 * 0.10 = $0.86. The calculator on the web site gives me $1.51 for California

What's the point of eGallon? cents per mile I could see. The article says people use cost per gallon as a benchmark for driving costs (? maybe because they know how many miles they can drive on a gallon).

The average price per kWH in California of 12c is way off. In PG&E Land you could be paying 56c/kWH if you are on E9 (EV rate and higher usage tiers) daytime.

Boomer23 said:
...For my 2011 LEAF, my lifetime electric energy usage measured at the power panel was .305 kWh/mile. So for my LEAF, this web site overestimates my cost/mpge by 15% (0.35/0.305) before we even get to the cost of electric power.

Using this formula and my TOU Super Off Peak rate of about 10 cents/kWh, my cost per eGallon is

28.2 * 0.305 * 0.10 = $0.86. The calculator on the web site gives me $1.51 for California
Similar for me: my wall-measured LEAF mileage is 0.256 kWh/mile. So that "average EV" number of 0.35 overestimates my cost/mile by about 37%. My local electric rate is higher than average: 13.76¢/kWh so my eGallon cost for that average 28.2 mpg car would be 99¢/gallon, which isn't all that far off from my state number of $1.12/eGallon because most of the state has lower electric rates.

However, like some others here, I have solar panels so I pay zero for the sunpower that fuels my car.

Back