L6-30 Outlet in Garage, best choice for level 2 charging?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eHelmholtz said:
It's trivial to make a NEMA 10-30P to NEMA 14-30R or L6-30R adapter yourself for ~$20. I'm in San Diego can help.
What about what Clipper Creek said: "The NEMA 10-30 receptacle is typically wired with 2 hot lines (Line 1 and Line 2) and a Neutral. All of our 240V stations require 2 hot lines (Line 1 and Line 2) and a earth ground..... It would not be advisable from a safety stand point to utilize the 10-30 receptacle with an adapter for the LCS-25P."

It's certainly not ideal, but it's a lot cheaper than wiring a new 14-30 outlet.

If you want cheap, DIY as said can be like $20, but won't be NEC compliant. If you want compliance, expect to spend a few $100.

Connect neutral instead of ground? Sounds like a bad idea. It was done at times in the past, and codes changed to not do it for a reason.

Various failures may put voltage on the neutral line. Carrying that voltage back to the car could be hazardous.

If you are asking these questions, you are probably better off insisting that the electrician does it right. While you have an electrician looking at it, he may even find you have both ground and neutral available.

alanlarson said:
Connect neutral instead of ground? Sounds like a bad idea. It was done at times in the past, and codes changed to not do it for a reason.

Various failures may put voltage on the neutral line. Carrying that voltage back to the car could be hazardous.

If you are asking these questions, you are probably better off insisting that the electrician does it right. While you have an electrician looking at it, he may even find you have both ground and neutral available.
But in a very large % of cases the neutral and the ground wires terminate together in the panel. If they do and the device does not have any neutral and 120V use the adapter is functionally the same.

The code changed to use separate ground and neutral for devices like dryers which did have some items using 120V because there could be small current on the neutral which was bad practice when using it to ground the cabinet.

I am not suggesting new cable, just knowledgeable person changing the outlet and properly labeling and terminating the current neutral conductor as a ground. But depending on labor rate and travel time it might be $100 to $200.

Back