L3 Charging ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rawhog said:
Well then you should not have put the info out there until that time. Your bad.

He explained it won't be operational for two weeks. If it were Nissan I wouldn't care, but seeing as how this is the COMPETITION and they're (so far) being generous in our usage, it's best to tread lightly.

Mike, let me know if I can do any recon or facilitation. I live about 15 miles away.

z0ner said:
rawhog said:
Well then you should not have put the info out there until that time. Your bad.

He explained it won't be operational for two weeks. If it were Nissan I wouldn't care, but seeing as how this is the COMPETITION and they're (so far) being generous in our usage, it's best to tread lightly.

Agreed. Bullying people into offering access to their $30,000+(?) charger (plus electrons) for free to buyers of a competitor's prouct sure doesn't sound like a great way to encourage businesses - Mitsubishi or otherwise - to help create and offer EV charging infrastructure.

As early EV drivers and proponents of the technology we must be ambassadors for the EV "cause" and that extends to being supportive and offering constructive help to businesses and others who have an interest in upgrading their facilities to accommodate our cars. At the same time that means not pushing it if a facility doesn't want to add infrastructure or make currently existing infrastructure publicly available right now. Making demands will get us nowhere. A better approach is along the lines of: I understand you're not able to, or interested in, making the charger available right now but please keep me posted if you change your mind in the future and if there's anything I can do to help answer any of your questions.

Devin said:
A better approach is along the lines of: I understand you're not able to, or interested in, making the charger available right now but please keep me posted if you change your mind in the future and if there's anything I can do to help answer any of your questions.

And that is exactly what Mitsubishi has already offered to do. And when they tell me it's fully commissioned and the public is free to use it, then I'll tell you guys. And everyone will be happy.

Have you guys seen this? I'm jealous, apparently one can travel all over Holland without any concerns or range anxiety. Why not in California?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9NqSuk5gjQ

surfingslovak said:
Have you guys seen this? I'm jealous, apparently one can travel all over Holland without any concerns or range anxiety. Why not in California?

May be we can try same thing soon.
Around 500 quick charge stations are planned already.

60 each for 4 EV project city/state(240) + AZ(40) + SF bay area(31) + Houston (50) + Chicago(73) + Baltimore (3)
http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/chargingMap/index#/leaf-electric-car/chargingMap/index

eVgo will add 70 to Dallas.
https://www.evgonetwork.com/The_Network/Planned_Stations/

Mitsubishi will add some more to Hawaii.
http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/smart-takes/mitsubishi-hawaii-partner-on-ev-charging-infrastructure/16842

edit:Changed AZ planned number from 60 to 40.

rawhog said:
All I was trying to say was. By releasing early info, a 5 page thread of nothing has grown here. If you had waited to say anything on the issue until the unit was cleared for use, the 5 pages might have been constructive, or shorter.

Number one rule of journalism.....if you've got a scoop, run with it.

surfingslovak said:

Considering that http://www.eia.gov/emeu/international/Gas1.xls says gas is $8.78/gallon in the Netherlands and currently >$8/gallon in a # of European countries, I think those folks have some more incentive to use EVs and develop EV infrastructure.

ht2 said:
60 each for 5 EV project city/state(300)

For whatever reason, here in AZ, they have reduced the DC fast chargers to 40 (Q3-4/2011), and less than 1000 (was around 1100-1200) L2's.

mwalsh said:
garygid said:
Very Nice.
Where is Cypress?
Near what freeways?
North of the 22 and east of the 605.
I don't know where Cypress is or for that matter "the 22" or "the 605" but from the "the's" I can tell it's in SoCal. People north of Santa Barbara don't use them on freeway names. For you out-of-staters, you can tell the writers of most TV shows live in southern California and are oblivious to anything outside of greater L.A. as they have the characters in Northern California append "the" to every freeway, e.g. The Mentalist.

I live in Cypress and own a Leaf so I think it is an important town. Level 2 in my garage w/ solar panels on top :)

Rat said:
mwalsh said:
garygid said:
Very Nice.
Where is Cypress?
Near what freeways?
North of the 22 and east of the 605.
I don't know where Cypress is or for that matter "the 22" or "the 605" but from the "the's" I can tell it's in SoCal. People north of Santa Barbara don't use them on freeway names. For you out-of-staters, you can tell the writers of most TV shows live in southern California and are oblivious to anything outside of greater L.A. as they have the characters in Northern California append "the" to every freeway, e.g. The Mentalist.
Yes (having grown up in Nor Cal but having gone to college in So Cal), So Cal people prepend "the" to highway names. It has a certain ring to it... "the 10", "the 405", "the 110".

For some reason, most Nor Cal highways don't sound right if you do that (e.g. "the 17", "the 280", "the 880"). :? And yes, there is a Cypress, CA in So Cal.

Also, another habit (that drove me nuts) in So Cal (prior to smartphones) is that radio traffic reports would use the name of the highway, instead of the number... so they'd say "the San Bernardino Freeway... blah blah blah"? Where's that?

z0ner said:
rawhog said:

Mike, let me know if I can do any recon or facilitation. I live about 15 miles away.
If Mitsubishi gets in contact with this forum through you or Mike there might be an opportunity for both sides. It could be that the last thing in the world Mitsubishi would want is for a press event to be flooded by cars from the competition, and I'd certainly respect that choice. But...

Hardly anyone knows that the iMiEV exists. It's conceivable that they would welcome a good turnout of LEAF drivers when they inaugurate the L3 charger. Messages: "Hey! Us too. We're here. All you read about in the papers is Leaf and Volt, but if you're in the market for an EV take a look at Mitsubishi as well."

"If you buy an EV you don't have to worry about wrong formats or being stranded by technology changes like you do with some computer/electronics gear. We're standard. This isn't just a Mitsubishi charger. All these Leafs can use it. Just like iMiEVs are welcome to charge at Nissan dealers (I sure hope that's true). And of course iMiEV, Leaf, and Volt can all charge at the thousands of L2 J1772 public chargers that are just beginning to be deployed."

"For fast charging iMiEV and Leaf use the CHAdeMO standard which is in use worldwide with hundreds of charging stations already, made by multiple manufacturers.We hope the US and SAE will follow the world standard and adopt this charger which is compatible with thousands of cars on the road today, rather than some vaporware standard for cars that haven't even made it onto the drawing boards yet, let alone into a dealer showroom."

walterbays said:
It's conceivable that they would welcome a good turnout of LEAF drivers when they inaugurate the L3 charger. Messages: "Hey! Us too. We're here. All you read about in the papers is Leaf and Volt, but if you're in the market for an EV take a look at Mitsubishi as well."

Actually we've already had some discussion on that, and they're not massively enthused about drawing attention to another company's products during their own press event. I think their preference is to focus attention on the iMiev, even though the event is purportedly about the charger, which I guess I can understand.

drees said:
L3 will work fine to charge to 100% - but the car will by default stop at 80% - if you restart it will charge to 100%, just slower.

I don't think that's right - the car won't stop the charging at 80%, and neither will the charger - at least if the one in Portland is an indication of how the others will work. It just pushes the juice in at a lower rate the closer to 100% you go. I haven't tried all the way to 100% yet, but when I tried last I pulled it at 84% (it was down to 32A Charging Current at the time). Videos published here: http://www.no-url.com/LEAF/LevelIIICharging_01-30-11.html. And yes, stopping at 80% was my impression too, but realized after the fact that it would continue to charge all the way. I think the way they state 'charge to 80% in 30 minutes' leads us to make that assumption. It sounds better than 'charge to 100% in 80 minutes' or however long it takes that last bit to trickle in :)

PDXLeafer said:
drees said:
L3 will work fine to charge to 100% - but the car will by default stop at 80% - if you restart it will charge to 100%, just slower.
I think the way they state 'charge to 80% in 30 minutes' leads us to make that assumption. It sounds better than 'charge to 100% in 80 minutes' or however long it takes that last bit to trickle in :)

But charging to 80% in 30 minutes means the batteries are empty and most people getting a quick charge will probably have at least one to two bars. So maybe 15 minutes to charge to 80% and longer to 100%.

PDXLeafer said:
drees said:
I don't think that's right - the car won't stop the charging at 80%, and neither will the charger - at least if the one in Portland is an indication of how the others will work.
Thanks for the correction!

Back