L3 Charging ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
planet4ever said:
Did I miss something? I didn't see even a hint that any of those 14,000 stations would use the Quick Charge port or be anything else faster than the residential charging stations they have already put in. It seems to me that they are doing L2 Blink and nothing else.
Well, they still mention BP and Cracker Barrel which were previously reported to be installing quick chargers.

http://www.ecotality.com/newsletter/10132010_BP_Blink_DC_Fast_Charger.html
http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_int...dfs/ventures_Electric_Vehicles_case_study.pdf
BP will test and evaluate the Blink DC Fast Chargers at 45 different BP and ARCO locations as part of BP’s participation in The EV Project

http://www.ecotality.com/newsletter...el_to_Install_Blink_EV_Charging_Stations.html
http://investor.crackerbarrel.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=533674
Cracker Barrel will install ECOtality’s Blink EV charging stations, including both Level 2 and DC Fast Charge commercial electric vehicle charging stations, at 24 restaurant and store locations within EV Project markets beginning April 2011.

California has another DC quick charger! It's at Mitsubishi's Cypress headquarters. No word on whether we mere mortals can use it, but I'll give them a call today and try to find out:

264847_10150299652644048_518954047_9242776_2679620_n.jpg

Very Nice.
Where is Cypress?
Near what freeways?

Hopefully we will see many more, carefully located close to transportation corridors. A 15-minute Quick Charge can take 35 minutes if the QC unit is located 10 minutes off the freeway.

What is the progress in getting the "low-cost" Nissan QC station "approved"?

6400 Katella, Cypress, CA?

That is about 2 miles North of 22, and about 1 mile East of the 405-22 junction.

So, driving down 405, it is about 9 minutes off the 405 freeway.

Info on access hours and fees will be appreciated.
I will try and visit there tomorrow after the Workshop in Cerritos!

Drink, Maple, drink! :D :D :D
And, I will have my SOC-Meter to monitor the process.

Maybe I should bring the whole 3-CAN Recording system?
I will try to do that!

Mistu has not even sold any vehicles to the public yet, and they have installed a DC charger.

Nissan has sold thousands? of LEAFs in Ca, and apparently has no plans to facilitate DC charging.

Maybe the Luckiest LEAF owners will be those with a nearby Mitsubishi dealer, IF they are allowed to use their DC charger...

My understanding is that Nissan and Mitsubishi owners cooperate, and allow mutual access for their customers to their DC chargers at their dealerships in Japan.

Unlikely that we'll get the same mutual access here, if Nissan installs no DC charge stations.

garygid said:
6400 Katella, Cypress, CA?

That is about 2 miles North of 22, and about 1 mile East of the 405-22 junction.

So, driving down 405, it is about 9 minutes off the 405 freeway.

Info on access hours and fees will be appreciated.
I will try and visit there tomorrow after the Workshop in Cerritos!

Drink, Maple, drink! :D :D :D
And, I will have my SOC-Meter to monitor the process.

Maybe I should bring the whole 3-CAN Recording system?
I will try to do that!

Sweet! And in a good location, near the 405/22/605 fwys. Would love to get more info but we shouldn't all bombard them at once. Is Mike our spokesperson? :D Very exciting!

99 miles from my house. Even if I could make it there (at 3am, so that I can drive 45mph), I'd have to find an L2 for the return, since my understanding is L3 only goes to 80%.

OK, don't get all excited. The good news is that it will be available to all-comers, so long as your vehicle is equipped with the CHAdeMO DC port of course. But the bad news is that we're a little ahead of the game, and the unit is not operational yet. It will be about 2 more weeks before the unit is connected to the PV system that will be used to power it, and I've asked that they keep me informed as to when that happens.

TonyWilliams said:
99 miles from my house. Even if I could make it there (at 3am, so that I can drive 45mph), I'd have to find an L2 for the return, since my understanding is L3 only goes to 80%.
You mean I should plan on getting home, too? :)

Seriously, I know it doesn't make the trip really practical, but it was virtually impossible before. If I need 3-4 hours on L2 to get all the way home that's still better than earlier scenarios.

z0ner said:
mwalsh said:
OK, don't get all excited.

TOO LATE!!!! I'm already camped out in the lot waiting. :lol:

Well, you can at least tell me if it is actually functional or not. Mitsubishi PR says no, on account of it needing to be tied to the PV, but my sources tell me quietly that it is up and running. Though it may be up and running in the same way that the one in central CA is!

Edit: Though I can see completely the desire to keep the public away until the unit is properly commissioned!

TonyWilliams said:
L3 will work fine to charge to 100% - but the car will by default stop at 80% - if you restart it will charge to 100%, just slower.

Edit: PDXLeafer says it will continue charging by default, the speed just ramps down a lot once it gets there.

I think that at 55 mph you should be able to make it 99 miles with some room to spare. Or just stop off at Jimmydreams' house to top off before heading out the rest of the way. :)

mwalsh said:
California has another DC quick charger! It's at Mitsubishi's Cypress headquarters. No word on whether we mere mortals can use it, but I'll give them a call today and try to find out:
Any L2 chargers? They are having "Mitsubishi Owners Day" on the 9th, so L3 will likely be up for i-MiEV ride and drive.

KeiJidosha said:
Any L2 chargers? They are having "Mitsubishi Owners Day" on the 9th, so L3 will likely be up for i-MiEV ride and drive.
May have to make a quick trip to Cypress next Saturday ... or sooner. :p

drees said:
TonyWilliams said:
L3 will work fine to charge to 100% - but the car will by default stop at 80% - if you restart it will charge to 100%, just slower.

I think that at 55 mph you should be able to make it 99 miles with some room to spare. Or just stop off at Jimmydreams' house to top off before heading out the rest of the way. :)

Any idea on how long it will take to charge that last 20% via the DC port?

Please DO NOT go to Mitsubishi until we've been invited to start using the charger. We do not want to tick anyone off before we even get started. Mitsubishi has told us that the charger is not available to the public yet and we should not go out of the way towards make them change their mind about allowing it's use.

Back