L3 Charging ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
surfingslovak said:
Tesla just announced their own DC charging network, picked it up on their forum:

When the batteries are depleted, Tesla says even the 300-mile range Model S will be able to recharge from full to empty in under an hour thanks to its new direct current external charger. The 90 kilowatt units will be installed by Tesla at suitable rest-stop locations or hotels alongside arterial freeways such as I-5 between Canada and Mexico.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1066795_breaking-tesla-making-faster-2012-model-s-0-60-in-under-4-5-seconds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting... I wonder where the money is going to come from for these (for the hardware, installation and upkeep). As much admire their cars and what they're doing, I have to wonder about their finances. I watched Bloomberg Risk Takers on Elon Musk (http://www.bloomberg.com/video/73460184/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) which is also being rerun in the next 2 weeks on Bloomberg channel. Their revenues from the Roadster are going to cease since no more gliders are coming from Lotus yet they're opening up new locations like the one in Santana Row (in Santa Clara, CA). Given the tiny quantities they've sold so far (and the 6000 reservations stated for the '12 Model S), one wonders if the money will dry up, as it has for them several times in the past.

I haven't looked at their finances carefully (since I don't care to own their stock), but a few quick glances at http://ir.teslamotors.com/sec.cfm?DocType=Annual&Year=&FormatFilter=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://ir.teslamotors.com/sec.cfm?DocType=Quarterly&Year=&FormatFilter=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; confirms my suspicions, at least from a revenue and net loss point of view.

This was posted in the 'Phoenix Area' thread. Our FIRST two CHAdeMOs! I'm going to check 'em out! :mrgreen:
21miDay posted this:
"The ECOtality building in Phoenix has 6 new chargers. Two of them are CHAdeMo. The address is 435 S. 3rd Ave. The gate is on Buchanan St. There are signs saying Charge Station hours of operation 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM Monday-Friday and 'Gate Closes at 5:00 PM'."

The ECOtality contractor who was installing my Blink charger last week mentioned they are putting in 13 quick chargers at ARCO stations here in SoCal, but I didn't ask where.

"The ECOtality building in Phoenix has 6 new chargers. Two of them are CHAdeMo. [at]... 435 S. 3rd Ave. [behind a] gate ... hours of operation 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM Monday-Friday ..."

Perfect example of an amazingly POOR choice of location, availability, and access (IMO).

I doubt that this less-than-splendid example of "hosting" a QC machine will inspire others to want to host a QC station, or even L2 stations.

But, I suppose that ECOtality can say that they installed TWO QC stations, but that they were only very lightly used!

Is this our tax dollars at work?
If so, ... what a crock...!

garygid said:
..."The ECOtality building in Phoenix has 6 new chargers. Two of them are CHAdeMo. [at]... 435 S. 3rd Ave. [behind a] gate ... hours of operation 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM Monday-Friday ..."
Perfect example of an amazingly POOR choice of location, availability, and access (IMO).
I doubt that this less-than-splendid example of "hosting" a QC machine will inspire others to want to host a QC station, or even L2 stations.
But, I suppose that ECOtality can say that they installed TWO QC stations, but that they were only very lightly used!

Hey, at least we have TWO now! How many do you have? There will be others along the Interstates about 30 miles apart. I don't know why you're getting your uw ruffled. Someone could charge there, and just hop onto the freeways and or Interstates. It's really close to the I-10, I-17, Loop 202, SR143, SR51 and very close to Sky Harbor Airport. What's so bad about that? Also, people who live in apts. could get a QC in the morning or after work. True, the hours are limiting, but that's the ONLY drawback. Maybe you should use your 'maps' before making such harsh judgments.
Update: I drove there this morning (15mi.=7.1m/kW h/dash/7.2NAV) and was told that it may be another week before they are UL approved. They are functional, but not open to the public yet. It will be put on the Blink website when they are ready for public use.

surfingslovak said:
Tesla just announced their own DC charging network, picked it up on their forum...

That forum is not run by the company, by the way. Independent like this one.

So they introduced a new plug and socket type:
socket1.jpg

It is very compact and comfortable to hold considering the capabilities.

They say it will do AC charging up to 80amps, and can accept a J1772 with a simple adapter module.
They also say it will accept 90kW DC fast charge from one of their own chargers they will build.
The charging network for Teslas is likely to be installed and managed by them.

It seems they want to stay proprietary, and in control.
Interoperability with other equipment seems a secondary concern.
For instance, I heard they aren't planning to do CHAdeMO to Tesla, so no high speed charging a Leaf at a Tesla station, or high speed charging a Tesla Model S at a Nissan dealership.

Ok, so now there will be THREE different quick charge standards in North America (Chademo, SAE and now Tesla). This is NOT good! :evil: However, I sure hope Tesla can get UL approval for their port and chargers ASAP in order to make the monstrosity SAE L3 port die before it come out of comity. Tesla's charge port is THE most elegant and most capable solution (90kw!!!!) Unfortunately, unless Tesla can pump out cars by the 100s of thousands and setup the infrastructure, they won't be able to compete with the other two. :cry:

Please let the best technology win!!

You would think, with Tesla being the only American mfr even talking about DC Fast Charging, that the SAE would put some pressure on them to go with the proposed standard, because if Tesla has no plans to use it, no one else is going to either.

I think the SAE J-1772 DC standard is doomed to be a still birth.

Back