Keys locked inside!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty certain I've locked a fob in the Gen III Prius.

Leave one fob in the car, exit the car, close the door, and with the second fob, repeatedly press the lock button. I'm pretty certain eventually you will convince the car to lock the door - even with the other fob inside. Maybe the Leaf is the same - hubby have the other fob in the pocket and kept pressing it watching the show last night?

You guys are going to make me go test the Prius now.

I have locked one fob inside the Prius, using the other. Maybe two or three times, and plenty of other times it caught me and prevented it. I believe this is due to dead spots inside the car where it doesn't detect the key. It's a 2010; your results will vary. As for the LEAF, I don't think I've done this yet but I don't regularly try. It, too shows that limited working range; in fact, if I reach through the open window and push the start button, the car refuses. I have to take the key out of my pocket and bring it inside the window where it can "see it". But as to the original problem, if it doesn't detect the key to warn you about it, it also won't use it to allow you to lock the car unless you've got another one on you.

This is why I qualified my post w/SKS-equipped 2nd gen (04-09) Prius. On the 2nd gen, you either had no SKS at all or 3-door SKS. On 3rd gen (2010+), the choices were 1-door (driver's door only) SKS or 3-door. You had to go to model Four/IV or above (http://web.archive.org/web/20090609174108/http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/toyota-announces-prices-for-2010-89249.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) to get 3-door SKS.

On 2nd gen 3-door SKS, (IIRC) they have antennas at both front doors and in the hatch area. I wonder about 3rd gen with 1-door SKS...

I left my fob in the Leaf and it complained with a multiple beep burst wen I tried to lock the keys in the car.
It refused to lock the fob in the vehicle.

How can one lock Leaf keys inside car. I understand the concept but these keys work off a proximity sensor of some kind. When one has the keys on their person on the outside of the car all you do is push the door handle button. Why would you not just be able to push the button with the keys inside just 14 inches away from where they would normally be and have the door unlock. Am I missing something here :?:

I think it would take a pretty fancy bit of technology to have the car sense whether the fob was inside, or in someone's hand 2 inches outside the window ... and disable locking to avoid locking the key inside. I'll try it with an open window and I'll be really impressed if it can tell the difference.

DaveinOlyWA said:
only time you would not be allowed to lock the door with keys inside is if BOTH keys are inside . . . . . . . . . . . snip
or if all 3, or 4 fobs ... turning on how many you have. We've purchased an additional fob (which requires reprogramming the original 2) and found we can now leave 2 of 3 fobs inside, as long as the 3rd is outside the Leaf (or as long as at least one is outside the Leaf, turning on how many you have programmed for your Leaf).

Yep. My wife left the key in the cup holder now it sits in the garage locked with no way to open the door. This could have been much worse if she wasn't at home.

vrwl said:
evnow said:
Suggestion : keep the FOB in the purse. No reason to take it out at all.
+1 That's what I do, it never comes out of my purse.
Agree. The only time mine comes out of my pocket is when I change pants. I never use any of the buttons; in fact I wish it didn't have buttons because they can be pushed accidentally by other things in my pocket.

Just use the button on the door handle to unlock and lock the car. This is probably paranoia, but it seems theoretically possible for someone to intercept the radio signals between the fob and the car, learn the code, and use it to steal the car. The passive communication associated with using the button is much lower power with a range of only a few feet, making that nearly impossible.

Ray

planet4ever said:
vrwl said:
evnow said:
Suggestion : keep the FOB in the purse. No reason to take it out at all.
+1 That's what I do, it never comes out of my purse.
Agree. The only time mine comes out of my pocket is when I change pants. I never use any of the buttons; in fact I wish it didn't have buttons because they can be pushed accidentally by other things in my pocket.

Just use the button on the door handle to unlock and lock the car. This is probably paranoia, but it seems theoretically possible for someone to intercept the radio signals between the fob and the car, learn the code, and use it to steal the car. The passive communication associated with using the button is much lower power with a range of only a few feet, making that nearly impossible.

Ray

which is reason I dont carry anything else in the pocket with FOB but still have had accidental button pushes for car alarm and what not...

That is a first.. I was told @ Nissan that it is impossible to ever lock your car keys in a Leaf :shock:
deonnek said:
My keys sit in the cupholder when I get home. My car is safely parked inside my garage when we are home.

Got home yesterday from a trip to the grocery store. I unloaded the car, made dinner, etc. I went to the garage this morning to load the kids to take them to school. The car is LOCKED! My keys are sitting where I left them, in the cupholder.

I know for a fact I have not touched those keys since I got in the car at the store yesterday afternoon. Load groceries, get in car, drop keys in cup holder, set purse on seat, drive home.

So really I have two questions:
1) Did the car lock itself? I know this sounds stupid. But the windows were closed, no one had been in the garage since I got the single bag of groceries from the trunk and my kid from the back seat.
2) I thought the car would not lock if the keys were inside. This isn't really a question, but it does bring up many, as the keys were inside the car and it was obviously locked.

A quick plug for Nissan roadside assist. They were friendly on the phone, and I had a truck here within 20 minutes to let me into my car. It took all of about 30 seconds to pop the door open.

Anyone else done this? Or am I the first? I'm not a forgetful person and have only once in my life locked myself out of my car!

I figured I would post this for some entertainment as well as puzzle solving fun.

Same problem w. 2018 LEAF. I was changing after a run and the boot (trunk) shut when the keyfob was inside.
I don't know why it locked.
Had to get a lift home (30 mins) and come back with spare keyfob.
Then tried to reproduce the problem but it did not lock. Even tried to lock it with the boot open - it would not.
A mystery...

Back