July Plugin Sales : Leaf 395, Volt 1849, PIP 688, FFE 38

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
evnow said:
Yes - it is always fun to see comments about how someone drove thousands of miles without using gas. Why buy a PHEV in that case ? Anyone who has another ICE to use for long trips who bought a Volt just drank the range anxiety kool-aid from GM.

Exactly!

TRONZ said:
evnow said:
Yes - it is always fun to see comments about how someone drove thousands of miles without using gas. Why buy a PHEV in that case ? Anyone who has another ICE to use for long trips who bought a Volt just drank the range anxiety kool-aid from GM.
Exactly!
Here's one: http://www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB/showpost.php?p=93052&postcount=73

Trying to show him the logic of paying extra for 2 EREVs when he's already driven 2000 miles on 0.1 gallons of gas. For some reason he thinks that that 0.1 gallon would have meant a tow-truck in the LEAF.

I have never understood how a two car household would think owning an (expensive) 40 mile EV is better that owning a (less expensive) 100 mile EV. And then you see Volts fighting for L2 parking spots. Heavy sigh.

TRONZ said:
I have never understood how a two car household would think owning an (expensive) 40 mile EV is better that owning a (less expensive) 100 mile EV. And then you see Volts fighting for L2 parking spots. Heavy sigh.
Apparently range anxiety, the desire to avoid swapping cars and they like the Volt better is the rationale. Most car purchases are emotional rather than logical - this is a good example.

I agree. Both my wife and I need a car for the occasional times when we need to drive in two different directions. The concern that I have is that my Prius won't get driven enough.

I hate the idea of having to burn gas just to keep the engine from degrading. I would much rather own two EVs and if the range ever reaches 300 miles per charge and we have abundant quick charge stations I will. In fact if we had enough quick charge stations and frequent use didn't degrade the battery that would work also even with the shorter range.

TRONZ said:

Luft said:
I agree. Both my wife and I need a car for the occasional times when we need to drive in two different directions. The concern that I have is that my Prius won't get driven enough.

I hate the idea of having to burn gas just to keep the engine from degrading. I would much rather own two EVs and if the range ever reaches 300 miles per charge and we have abundant quick charge stations I will. In fact if we had enough quick charge stations and frequent use didn't degrade the battery that would work also even with the shorter range.

TRONZ said:

we have same situation. SO works in Centralia, i work in Hawks Prairie so we are a little better. both cars get used but during Summer the Leaf has taken over more than 60% of the mileage driven now that SO is taking Leaf 1-2 days week most times. Only twice has Leaf stayed home for trips in Prius. but the Prius will stay because of those few times its needed otherwise I would have two EVs as well

DaveinOlyWA said:
we have same situation. SO works in Centralia, i work in Hawks Prairie so we are a little better. both cars get used but during Summer the Leaf has taken over more than 60% of the mileage driven now that SO is taking Leaf 1-2 days week most times. Only twice has Leaf stayed home for trips in Prius. but the Prius will stay because of those few times its needed otherwise I would have two EVs as well
We haven't done any long trips yet this "summer" - so 100% of our driving when we go together has been in Leaf. So much for Leaf being the "second" car.

How come we have not added european Leaf sales to this thread? From what I gather there has not been many sales, but there have been a few posters on this forum from europe.

I found this article that leads me to believe there are only hundreds of sales and not into the thousands yet. http://green.autoblog.com/2011/07/27/report-global-nissan-leaf-sales-top-10-100/

Has GM started selling the Ampera (volt) in europe?

Has Mitsubishi officially started selling the iMiev in europe? If we are tracking worldwide plugin sales, we should track the world and all sales, right? With only two or three models, its not too hard, but once there are half a dozen for sale, its going to get harder. For that matter, don't forget about Roadsters. Just kidding about having you track every small sale of every plugin car in the world, but I do think we should try and track european Leaf sales and Ampera sales on this chart.

palmermd said:
How come we have not added european Leaf sales to this thread? From what I gather there has not been many sales, but there have been a few posters on this forum from europe.

I found this article that leads me to believe there are only hundreds of sales and not into the thousands yet. http://green.autoblog.com/2011/07/27/report-global-nissan-leaf-sales-top-10-100/

Has GM started selling the Ampera (volt) in europe?

Has Mitsubishi officially started selling the iMiev in europe? If we are tracking worldwide plugin sales, we should track the world and all sales, right? With only two or three models, its not too hard, but once there are half a dozen for sale, its going to get harder. For that matter, don't forget about Roadsters. Just kidding about having you track every small sale of every plugin car in the world, but I do think we should try and track european Leaf sales and Ampera sales on this chart.

I think that's the idea, but so far no one has found a source for the EU numbers, hence the question in the original post.

evnow said:
If anyone figures out how to Numbers for EU / Japan let me know.

At least we found someone in Japan to provide the Japanese numbers.

TRONZ said:
I concur. Those consumers are probably basing their purchase decision on imaginary scenarios rather than real world experience. When the LEAF and Volt were first announced, I sat down and projected the results according to a typical year of driving in our household (commuting, but also all trips over 40 and 100 miles):

Our ICE Subaru Outback: $2,651
Replaced with a Volt: $1,361
Adding a LEAF, but keeping the Outback for longer trips: $804

The decision was a no-brainer! And that isn't even considering the difference in CO2 emitted. Besides, a Volt couldn't tow our small sailboat, nor take us skiing with 4WD.

TRONZ said:
Even worse - last Saturday at L.A.X. there was a Volt in the SPI stall reserved for EV's. Hope that didn't end up stranding anyone ... there was still 1 SPI stall left at the time ... but sometimes they're inop. Then again, I've seen a Leaf in a SPI stall as well. Be kind, fellow leafers, your 'free-parking' sticker doesn't mean you have to use any specific stall.

I think it's horrible that the Volt is hogging the charging spots. The Volt doesn't need to freaking charge! It has a gas engine. The Leaf needs a charge.

LAX needs to add 30+ more charging stations. Heck it should put a 110 outlet at every single parking spot and have L2 in the short term parking.

palmermd said:

No Leaf sales in Norway yet, they predict first deliveries in November. Nissans sale manager in Norway said in an interview that they could sell 2000 cars in one day if they had the cars...

iMiEV has been sold here since January at least, approx. 1000 units so far this year in addition to the iOn and C-Zero.

palmermd said:
Yes - no sources.

I even posted on Nissan UK's facebook page asking for numbers. They said they will look into that - but nothing.

I also got a link where WW sales of various models of various manufacturers is posted. But the Leaf numbers are wrong (sometime less than just US numbers).

http://www.fordinsidenews.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?72-Monthly-Sales-Results

muus said:
See here: http://jalopnik.com/5836562/nissan-leaf-outselling-chevy-volt-2-to-1-can-gm-catch-up

Seems 2,395 Volts were built in August of which 784 went to dealers to be demos and the rest are in the "pipeline". I predict Volt sales will be significantly better in September, for GM's sake they better be. Dealer markups are going to really hurt sales, especially on a car that is already too expensive.
The first 2012 model Volts are just rolling into dealerships now. I expect the Volt deliveries to pickup in the next 2 months. OTOH, Leaf deliveries may go down as MY11 model winds down and MY12 models may not get delivered soon.

The lengthy model year change over caused Volt lot of "sales" - and will also cost "sales" of Leaf.

I find it interesting that media that reported the MY change over at GM - don't mention that in their monthly sales articles. Are the articles written by zombies ?

The model change over may not cost Leaf ANY sales at all..we've never heard that they intend to close the assembly line-- The changes that are coming in 2012 do not require any special new tooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back