July Plugin Sales : Leaf 395, Volt 1849, PIP 688, FFE 38

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hawaii Leads US in Electric Car Purchases.

http://www.sustainablebusiness.com/index.cfm/go/news.display/id/23709" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hawaii leads the nation in uptake of electric cars (EVs), because it's gone full steam ahead on charging stations.

Perhaps the rest of us could learn something from the Aloha state :)

KJD

* NOTE: I honestly want the LEAF to succeed ... it is in all our best interest. Obvious Nissan sells a LOT of gas cars so they are still making a lot of profit to carry them into the future and over rough waters.

If and only if the sales of the LEAF do not pick up in the next several months,
who will be the first conspiracy theorist to blame...
...the supporters of the J1772 new QC standard

Three bodies:
* SAE International and
* IEC International Electrotechnical Commission and
* ACEA - European Automobile Manufacturers' Association (http://www.acea.be/collection/about_us_acea_members/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Nine major manufacturers:
* Audi,
* BMW,
* Daimler,
* Porsche,
* Volkswagen,
* Chrysler,
* Ford,
* General Motors,
* Renault [Nissan partner]

Certainly the conspiracy theorist will ignore all these folks and just focus on one to two to satisfy their theories.

Just wanted a post to be referred back to at a later date as this will come up!!

scottf200 said:
* NOTE: I honestly want the LEAF to succeed ... it is in all our best interest. Obvious Nissan sells a LOT of gas cars so they are still making a lot of profit to carry them into the future and over rough waters.

Three bodies:
* SAE International and
* IEC International Electrotechnical Commission and
* ACEA - European Automobile Manufacturers' Association (http://www.acea.be/collection/about_us_acea_members/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Nine major manufacturers:
* Audi,
* BMW,
* Daimler,
* Porsche,
* Volkswagen,
* Chrysler,
* Ford,
* General Motors,
* Renault [Nissan partner]

Certainly the conspiracy theorist will ignore all these folks and just focus on one to two to satisfy their theories.

Just wanted a post to be referred back to at a later date as this will come up!!
You forgot the CIA, the Tri-Lateral Commission, and the Illuminati: who ever heard of just one organization being enough for conspiro-whackos! Vincent Bugliosi, the guy who prosecuted Charles Manson and Family, wrote a book debunking all the conspiracy theories surrounding the JFK assassination. In an appendix he listed every individual and every organization which had been accused of either instigating, carrying out or being complicit in the assassination, by one conspiracy theorist or another. IIRR, the total ran to somewhere between 50 and 100. You should probably include all of them, just to be on the safe side! :lol:

If the Leaf sales fall off and by extension all BEVs, it will be because of the inherent conservative bias of humankind against change (N.B. not referring to political Conservatism).

Just drive and modify the BEVs in any and all ways you like to prove the concept to each segment of the driving public that these cars are designed to serve superbly.

I'm very curious to see what happens to local Northwest sales now the the WA and OR portion of the electric highway are finally about to be linked. There will still be waiting time for QC's but a think a lot more folks will be willing to wait for a quick charge. Nissan should do an advertising blitz concurrently with ribbon cutting of the electric highway.

91040 said:
If the Leaf sales fall off and by extension all BEVs, it will be because of the inherent conservative bias of humankind against change (N.B. not referring to political Conservatism).

Just drive and modify the BEVs in any and all ways you like to prove the concept to each segment of the driving public that these cars are designed to serve superbly.

GaslessInSeattle said:
I'm very curious to see what happens to local Northwest sales now the the WA and OR portion of the electric highway are finally about to be linked. There will still be waiting time for QC's but a think a lot more folks will be willing to wait for a quick charge. Nissan should do an advertising blitz concurrently with ribbon cutting of the electric highway.
Definitely. Now if we can just get AV or someone other than Ecotality involved down here, we can get QCs down the valley (just not along I-5 in the San Joaquin, please) in our lifetimes.

As compared to April, lately we've seen considerably more posts from people getting their Leafs, suggesting that we won't see another horrible 370 unit month in May. But I doubt we'll see a 2500 unit month.

You can blame anyone or anything you want, but the biggest hurdle for BEVs is their limited range. No surprise really. Some people will take the plunge and not worry about the range but if the population of that group turns out to be limited then you can't expect big numbers for the Leaf. You can blame any number of factors but the biggest hurdle going forward will be the Leaf's 73 mile range.

SanDust said:
As compared to April, lately we've seen considerably more posts from people getting their Leafs, suggesting that we won't see another horrible 370 unit month in May. But I doubt we'll see a 2500 unit month.

You can blame anyone or anything you want, but the biggest hurdle for BEVs is their limited range. No surprise really. Some people will take the plunge and not worry about the range but if the population of that group turns out to be limited then you can't expect big numbers for the Leaf. You can blame any number of factors but the biggest hurdle going forward will be the Leaf's 73 mile range.

I disagree, and so does Nissan's own data:

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/10/2...ge-leaf-is-driven-37-miles-per-day-more-rang/

This is all about production. Nissan will sell more if they can just build more. There is still a large pent up demand, and gas prices continue to rise. They are predicting $0.30/gallon rise this Memorial Day. Now with the $289 a month lease, anyone with a calculator can figure out they for the $300-$400 a month they are spending in gas, they can drive a brand new Leaf, cover the electricity and still have money left over.

As more models start coming, like the recently announced e-NV200, Nissan's sales will only increase. They will still sell everysinge one they can build.

The thing that article doesn't show is how much the second car is being used. Just focusing on how many miles the Leaf is driven doesn't really give you definitive information on how adequate the range is. If the EV project really had it together, they'd ask LEAF owners to log how many miles they drive their ICE as well and even why they choose the ICE over the Leaf when they could take either car. I think we are missing an important opportunity here to really understand the bigger picture.

As far as sales, perception is the key here, people think they need more range and that's kind of all that matters. I do believe that when more range is offered, more people will see the car as viable. People don't just want a car that meets most of their needs, they want a car the meets all their needs. The Leaf was designed for quick charging, a DC QC network like the one that is about to be lit up in WA and is up and running in OR will go a long way to making the LEAF more attractive to more buyers, IMHO. The rest of the country needs to get on board and electrify all major arterioles of the nations highway system with Quick Chargers Every 25-40 miles and/or the battery needs to at least double in size to be attractive to a larger group of buyers.

TurboFroggy said:
SanDust said:

I disagree, and so does Nissan's own data:

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/10/2...ge-leaf-is-driven-37-miles-per-day-more-rang/

This is all about production. Nissan will sell more if they can just build more. There is still a large pent up demand, and gas prices continue to rise. They are predicting $0.30/gallon rise this Memorial Day. Now with the $289 a month lease, anyone with a calculator can figure out they for the $300-$400 a month they are spending in gas, they can drive a brand new Leaf, cover the electricity and still have money left over.

As more models start coming, like the recently announced e-NV200, Nissan's sales will only increase. They will still sell everysinge one they can build.

scottf200 said:
Where can I see one of these new J1772 QC stations? :?

Stoaty said:
scottf200 said:
If and only if the sales of the LEAF do not pick up in the next several months, who will be the first conspiracy theorist to blame... ...the supporters of the J1772 new QC standard
Where can I see one of these new J1772 QC stations? :?
I'm not sure I can imagine a more illogical argument from folks with that point. At one point there were 0/zero L2 J1772 stations. At one point there were 0/zero CHAdeMO stations. At one point there were 0/zero gas stations. Everything starts at 0/zero.

scottf200 said:
I'm not sure I can imagine a more illogical argument from folks with that point. At one point there were 0/zero L2 J1772 stations. At one point there were 0/zero CHAdeMO stations. At one point there were 0/zero gas stations. Everything starts at 0/zero.
However, at this point in time, CHAdeMO is "starting" with over 1400 stations worldwide, while the J1772 QC remains at zero.

GaslessInSeattle said:
91040 said:

The same thing that's happened in California and Texas and other places where CHAdeMO has been installed. Nothing noteworthy. DC has been available for a long time yet the Leaf's sales have been declining for almost a year. Folks want range, they don't want to stop every hour to charge, and then drive an hour and charge. And, then drive an hour and charge. Over and over again.

QC is a Band-Aid and a terrible one at that. The numbers show it. No one wants to turn their normally 4 hour ICE drive to Grandma's house into an 8 hour drive.

I hope the Leaf numbers don't stay low, and if they increase lets look for obvious reasons like gas prices, lease deals, tax returns before jumping to "folks want to double their transit times with DC" as a reason.

Speaking as someone itching to drive electric, the single biggest problem is price. We are a two car familly so range is not a problem. Heck, my cottage is only 60 miles away so the Leaf would end up being my daily driver and my gas car would be parked 85% of the time. Here in Canada, the Leaf SV is $38,395 plus $1800 for freight and PDI. Add the taxes and subtrack the provincial rebate and the total comes to over $40 grand. I can't afford to spend that much money on a car.

Well muus obviously you know your own finances better than anyone, but with Canadian gas prices I would think the fuel expense would make the total cost of ownership very favorable over a very reasonable ownership span. Having said that I confess I know bugger all about CA electricity prices; I do know that when I lived, quite literally, right next to the Canadian border (my old house was some 500yds from the end of the Lewiston/Queenston bridge) I made sure I filled up on the US side before heading to Toronto or St. Kate's.

DANandNAN said:
QC is a Band-Aid and a terrible one at that. The numbers show it. No one wants to turn their normally 4 hour ICE drive to Grandma's house into an 8 hour drive.
The LEAFs range is not an issue for everyone. It has certainly not been an issue for me. However, I realize that it is a real problem for some. But for many, it's a problem of perception, not of reality.

Plug in Prius sales surpass 7300.

http://www.plugincars.com/toyota-prius-plug-hybrid-sales-surpass-7300-121620.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The next few months will be interesting to see if this trend continues upward or not.

tps said:
DANandNAN said:
The LEAFs range is not an issue for everyone. It has certainly not been an issue for me. However, I realize that it is a real problem for some. But for many, it's a problem of perception, not of reality.
Very, very true. But, putting chargers on every corner is still a Band-Aid.

KJD said:
Plug in Prius sales surpass 7300.

http://www.plugincars.com/toyota-prius-plug-hybrid-sales-surpass-7300-121620.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The next few months will be interesting to see if this trend continues upward or not.

That is because they built and delivered 7300 of them.

Try to understand that the Leaf is supply constrained. They sit on the lot an average of 4 days and there are less than 1500 available nationwide.

All the talk of "they would sell more if it had more range" is irrelavent until there is one of every color on every Nissan dealers lot in the entire US.

There are 1100 Nissan dealers in the US, * 5 colors of the Leaf = 5500 Leafs. As soon as there are that many Leafs on dealer lots then I will conceed that the Leaf needs to be changed to sell. Until then, it is supply constrained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back