July Plugin Sales : Leaf 395, Volt 1849, PIP 688, FFE 38

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oh oh, the Volt won again? that would be what? first time since Dec of last year? or first real time since neither was really available in Dec 2010 other than publicity stunts

DaveinOlyWA said:
oh oh, the Volt won again? that would be what? first time since Dec of last year? or first real time since neither was really available in Dec 2010 other than publicity stunts

First time since last December. Not all Volts delivered 12/10 were publicity stunts, and I'd go so far as to say most that were delivered the first month weren't.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Hard to believe that you're posting this in a thread that details that the Volt outsold the Leaf in December, January, February, March, and now October. So by month it's six versus five.

These numbers mean nothing since at this point everything is supply constrained, but if you think they're important, what are you going to say if the Volt outsells the Leaf for the next nine months?

SanDust said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Hard to believe that you're posting this in a thread that details that the Volt outsold the Leaf in December, January, February, March, and now October. So by month it's six versus five.

These numbers mean nothing since at this point everything is supply constrained, but if you think they're important, what are you going to say if the Volt outsells the Leaf for the next nine months?

oh ok, well that fact i got it all wrong should give you at least some indication as to how much i care

So are the bragging rights over U.S. sales or Global sales like the Title says?

TRONZ said:
So are the bragging rights over U.S. sales or Global sales like the Title says?

If anyone's found a place where GM breaks out Volt sales worldwide, that'd be great to see! We know they've made some sales in Canada (10s, probably not 100s), and there appears to be at least one in China (another Volt market). Also unknown is how Ampera/Vaxhaul sales will be counted.

Short that, it'd have to be Leaf world sales vs. Volt domestic.

kmp647 said:
849 sales of the Leaf for the month of October according to a Nissan press release
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/nissan-north-america-reports-18-increase-in-october-sales-133008533.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is always interesting how our favorite *EV manufacturers sales of their other vehicles compare to the *EVs. I'm referring to both GM and Nissan.

NISSAN HIGHLIGHTS
Nissan vehicles posted a new record for October sales with 75,484 units, an increase of 22.1 percent over the 61,843 units sold in October 2010.
  • Versa – led by the all-new 2012 Versa Sedan in its second full month of sales – set a new October record with 8,889 deliveries, an increase of 47.1 percent over the prior year.
  • Strong sales of the Nissan Altima continue, with 21,838 units marking an increase of 15.1 percent over the prior year and an October record.
  • The Rogue crossover continues to gain momentum, with sales of 10,034 units marking a 13.2 percent increase over last year – another new October record. The 2012 Rogue, on sale now, is the first vehicle in Nissan's lineup to offer the innovative, segment-exclusive Around View Monitor.
  • Sales of the 100-percent electric Nissan LEAF totaled 849 units in October, with deliveries totaling 8,066 units of the innovative, zero-emissions vehicle since its December 2010 U.S. debut.

I think GM needs to explain why the sales are just 1,108 when they claim be to be making 150 a day (4 days a week - so 2,400 a month) for the last 3 months. Someone needs to dig into the details that GM put out.

DaveinOlyWA said:
oh ok, well that fact i got it all wrong should give you at least some indication as to how much i care
Good one. Touche.

DaveinOlyWA said:
are leases counted as sales?

GM doesn't announce US sales (as far as I know). It announces US Deliveries. That would probably include leases and any fleet sales.

GM has produced 10,896 Volts - of which 7,627 are MY12 in the last 3 months. 2,100 Volts have been sold in the last 3 months. Even if all Oct production (2,228) is in transit - that still leaves 3,300 unexplained Volts.

http://investor.gm.com/sales-production/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mind you - with over 2,000 dealers now selling Volts, just one Volt on average is with a dealer - which means the dealer will probably want a hefty premium and won't sell easily.

This is in line with what we have heard - dealers who have many Volts in earliest release states (like CA) are either selling at MSRP or at a discount, where as new Volt dealers are asking for a big premium.

Sales of the 100-percent electric Nissan LEAF totaled 849 units in October, with deliveries totaling 8,066 units of the innovative, zero-emissions vehicle since its December 2010 U.S. debut.

Off by 1 by our totals. Thoughts?

Edit- they report CYTD of 8,048. Is our # in Dec of last year wrong?

TNleaf said:
Sales of the 100-percent electric Nissan LEAF totaled 849 units in October, with deliveries totaling 8,066 units of the innovative, zero-emissions vehicle since its December 2010 U.S. debut.

Off by 1 by our totals. Thoughts?

Edit- they report CYTD of 8,048. Is our # in Dec of last year wrong?

So, they think it is 18, not 19 last December ? I can go with that ... but I've tons of links saying 19.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/02/01/autos/volt_vs_leaf_sales/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Canadian Leaf Sales (from http://www.newswire.ca/en/organization/33080)

July: 16
Aug: 9
Sept: 17
Oct: 27 (more than the 370Z @ 15 and not far from the Cube @ 35)

YTD: 69

Currently it isn't available everywhere and it is very supply constrained (only 40 2011s were available to the general public and only 600 2012s will be shipped here). But even then, sales in Canada will never be very good since only two provinces offer incentives and the Leaf is more expensive here (see http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6129).

evnow said:
I think GM needs to explain why the sales are just 1,108 when they claim be to be making 150 a day (4 days a week - so 2,400 a month) for the last 3 months. Someone needs to dig into the details that GM put out.
The more worrying thing is that GM's apparently plentiful Volt production only emphasizes the LEAF's serious supply side problem. It may be that in MY 2012 Nissan's supply side problem will continue and the Volt will overtake them mainly because it will be available while LEAFs will continue to be hard to come by.

I don't want a Volt, but if I did, I could have been driving one no-hassle for a while by just going across the bridge to a NJ Chevrolet dealer. My only options for owning a LEAF to this point is to buy and import an orphan from a great distance (which is a great hassle). That will change when orphans start to appear in MD, and even NJ, but by then I should be allowed to start the ordering process. (If PA ordering wasn't due to start soon, I'd be driving across the bridge to NJ to Sansone Automall for an orphan; they asked me if they could sell me a LEAF back in July when I stopped by with the Hertz rental LEAF, the first one they'd seen.)

While I understand the "perfect storm" which has caused Nissan's current situation, the tsunami and now the exchange rate, it makes it hard for them to "walk the walk" of the commitment to EV technology they seem to have. It'll be a shame to see a competitor with what I perceive as less of a long term EV commitment (Chevy) outsell Nissan. But it will be an even bigger shame if Chevy is not able to sell all the Volts they produce, since the pundits will just trot out the "no market interest in EVs" lines again...

All of this will change in a year when Smyrna LEAF production comes online. But it may be a long year until then.

tps said:
All of this will change in a year when Smyrna LEAF production comes online. But it may be a long year until then.

That's true.. and I also suspect something else. Even though the Leaf is probably a more marketable product than the Volt at the current price levels of both vehicles, I still suspect GM could make and sell easily 100,000 volts per year at current prices if gasoline jumped up a Dollar or two. And we all know that is only a matter of time until that happens. Hopefully GM and Nissan and all of the other auto makers know that too. While it is hard to predict exactly when it will spike, it is a good bet that the world economies recovering will certainly cause the price to spike. So the question is when the recovery will be. The question is, will GM be in a position to increase production to those levels when the time comes?

The Leaf wil sellandsell well due to Ford marketing thefocus ev at$40,000as the ONLY trim optionand no that is not a misprint

Some quotes from gm-volt.

Peterson said Chevrolet dealers have a total of around 1,800 Volts in inventory, and 2,300 dealer demos have been placed, with 300 more demos to go this year.
Statik says

Early in the year, low sales were accounted for because of ‘dealer allocation of demos’, which where then put into lockdown for 6 months to the end of the model year. Those cars, while demos, are now for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back