July Plugin Sales : Leaf 395, Volt 1849, PIP 688, FFE 38

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
daggad said:
As I have stated earlier. The Leaf was officially introduced in Norway oct 8th. On the oct 11th more than 600 was sold. And they are beeing delivered in huge numbers here now. And remember we are a tiny country.. (4,5mill polulation). I am quite sure the Leaf will sell in the area of 2000 cars in Norway next year.
First half of 2011 the sales of EV's in Norway was 192 per million people. Japan 53/mill, USA 25/mill. These 3 countries are the top EV selling countries in the world.
Thx for the info.

The problem is - Nissan doesn't announce a sales total every monthly for rest of the world, like they do for US.

evnow said:
daggad said:
As I have stated earlier. The Leaf was officially introduced in Norway oct 8th. On the oct 11th more than 600 was sold. And they are beeing delivered in huge numbers here now. And remember we are a tiny country.. (4,5mill polulation). I am quite sure the Leaf will sell in the area of 2000 cars in Norway next year.
First half of 2011 the sales of EV's in Norway was 192 per million people. Japan 53/mill, USA 25/mill. These 3 countries are the top EV selling countries in the world.
Thx for the info.

The problem is - Nissan doesn't announce a sales total every monthly for rest of the world, like they do for US.

With so many countries getting cars, short of running them down/pestering them at HQ, or being super diligent ferreting the info out (which I nominate evnow for if anyone is looking for volunteers, hehe), the only way I know you can get a global count is when they do their legal filings quarterly.

Q3 for them ends Dec 31, which means sometime around the first week of February (although it is almost always February 9th for some strange reason...maybe some kind of Japanese thing) we will get another hard update.

I believe the last magic number was at 15,625 (-ish...can't remember the exact number off the top of my head) through the end of Q2 (September).

Statik said:
I believe the last magic number was at 15,625 (-ish...can't remember the exact number off the top of my head) through the end of Q2 (September).
I've tried to look for that number with no success. So, if you have that link, would be useful. But now that I know the number is out there, I can probably find it too.

evnow said:
Statik said:
I've tried to look for that number with no success. So, if you have that link, would be useful. But now that I know the number is out there, I can probably find it too.

so does a recorded VIN correlate to actual number produced ? if so over on the Chicagoland thread someone reported 16,617 VIN (not validated) ?? would assume this would be at least one indication of course these VIN's are in the 'to be delivered' category but still an actual car is in the pipeline for an actual customer order --

navidad said:
Disappointing number for the Nissan in October in Japan :
http://logsoku.com/thread/yuzuru.2ch.net/auto/1319715240/ID:4OtPXi8A0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sorry, I think this number was a mistake....

http://logsoku.com/thread/yuzuru.2ch.net/auto/1319715240/ID:4OtPXi8A0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
message 410 says "529 in October" but message 411 says "message 410 was wrong. October sales not yet known"....

navidad said:
navidad said:
Disappointing number for the Nissan in October in Japan :

message 410 says "529 in October" but message 411 says "message 410 was wrong. October sales not yet known"....
NP. Will revert.

Re: numbers other than USA and Japan

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-11-14/nissan-leaf-may-choke-in-hong-kong-smog.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hong Kong is small, rich and cosmopolitan. It’s also choking on smog.

For carmakers like Nissan Motor Co. that should make the city a perfect base from which to launch their electric vehicle strategy on the rest of Asia.

The snag is that the carmakers’ target market of trendsetting early adopters are proving hard to find, with Hong Kongers content to covet their neighbors’ Maseratis, Mercedes and Porsche Cayennes through the haze.

Even with subsidies that are among the most generous in Asia, only 64 Nissan Leaf EVs were sold in the first nine months of the year.

“People don’t really care how much a car costs, but how great it feels,” said Rahul Dansanghani, 28, who drives a Mercedes S-Class sedan. “Electric vehicles are beneficial for the environment and may offer some cost savings, but the Hong Kong buyer’s main focus is luxury.”

The city recorded the fastest pace of growth in new millionaires in the world last year, according to a report by Capgemini SA and Bank of America Corp. Cracking Hong Kong takes on added importance for automakers eyeing China, the world’s largest car market, said Michael Dunne at Dunne & Co.

“Taste among the most educated and discerning Chinese customer is often shaped by what’s being bought in Hong Kong,” said Dunne, president of the Hong Kong-based industry researcher. “If carmakers can’t make them work in there, it would be difficult to envision widespread purchases in a place like China.”
<snip>

"scottf200"]Re: numbers other than USA and Japan

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-11-14/nissan-leaf-may-choke-in-hong-kong-smog.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hong Kong is small, rich and cosmopolitan. It’s also choking on smog.

For carmakers like Nissan Motor Co. that should make the city a perfect base from which to launch their electric vehicle strategy on the rest of Asia.

The snag is that the carmakers’ target market of trendsetting early adopters are proving hard to find, with Hong Kongers content to covet their neighbors’ Maseratis, Mercedes and Porsche Cayennes through the haze.

Even with subsidies that are among the most generous in Asia, only 64 Nissan Leaf EVs were sold in the first nine months of the year.

Poorly written story, and your selective quotation further misrepresents the facts.

Hong Kong's 7 M people account for one-thousandth of the world's population, and since HK only has about 584,000 private cars, LEAFs have sold there at about 5 time the world-wide rate, per capita, and ten times the average world rate, in relation to the size of the private vehicle fleet.

I suspect LEAF sales in HK, even at the $54,000 (net) retail price as reported, are probably restricted primarily by limited supply, just the same as they are in the rest of the world.

edatoakrun said:
Poorly written story, and your selective quotation further misrepresents the facts.
I quoted the text around the number to put it in context.
EVNow told me in other post to only put in some of the related text.

Still waiting for your answer BTW. Clearly you have your fingers in your ears, eyes close, and singing nah,nah,nah about China :roll: :D
See post: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=144810#p144810" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In France, 17 Leaf in October, 67 from the beginning of year (sales started in August).
Chevrolet Volt : 1 in october
Opel Ampera (twin sister of GM Volt) : 1 in October.

evnow said:
navidad said:

NP. Will revert.
So, the new number for Japan-October is 832.

http://logsoku.com/thread/yuzuru.2ch.net/auto/1319715240/ID:E1uNEjy+0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For sales in France:
http://www.automobile-propre.com/dossiers/voitures-electriques/chiffres-vente-immatriculations-france/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nov Volt sales was 1,139 - slightly above the Oct figure. Given the supply, I thought the sales figure would be much higher.

Leaf sales in Nov was 672 - the MY12 deliveries haven't picked up pace, I guess.

Given that Nissan has sold over 20K Leafs worldwide, sales would have to be about 2,500 to 3,000 outside of Japan & US.

evnow said:
Nov Volt sales was 1,139 - slightly above the Oct figure. Given the supply, I thought the sales figure would be much higher.
Leaf sales in Nov was 672 - the MY12 deliveries haven't picked up pace, I guess.
I'm surprised at both these numbers actually. Major influences perhaps the price of gas and the concern about the economy for large purchases (small purchases seem to be OK with a great black_Friday and cyber_Monday results)[/quote]

evnow said:

I am very surprised by this myself. We knew demand was not going to be as large as intially originally thought...but still, figuring the crush of new/2012 inventory hitting the dealers, I was wagering a couple months of good/irregular sales (over 2K), before we seen what the ongoing demand in these regions were...maybe by January, but it seems to be showing up here and now.

Given about 120 days of inventory on the lots, its not good, and no way to hit 10K this year for GM.

evnow said:

Given that Nissan has sold over 20K Leafs worldwide, sales would have to be about 2,500 to 3,000 outside of Japan & US.

Still an allocation story here though, only about 250 '12s in available inventory atm.

I'm not saying we don't have to take expectations down based on what we are seeing with the Volt, I think we do. But Nissan still moved almost every piece they made for November worldwide (early returns look like about 3,000ish). Even with both low allocations and low sales in NA, your still looking at less than 20 days on a regional inventoy (with those being orphans and demos). Its going to take a bit longer to get a feel for ongoing demand.

The 2012 price bump on the LEAF may damper spirits some as well when looking ahead. I'd say the early returns on Volt demand from this month, does make me question Nissan's ambituous expectations on the LEAF, and US production. Starting to feel like the ceiling on LEAF sales in the US is going to be in the neighbourhood of 4K.

I'm not sure what to make of the Volt numbers, since we've had forum members report taking possession of cars with VINs in the 10-11K range (remembering that GM restarted the Volt sequence numbers with MY '12, so that's 10K+ C-Volts in addition to the 4Kish B-Volts). The factory production report that came out with the deliveries report says only 9,656 MY '12 Volts have been produced.

But people have received (in November) Volts with VINs above 10K.

Only thing I can guess is that Amperas are sequencing in with the Volts (along with Canadian and Chinese Volts), but they're only counting domestic bound factory production in the Hamtramck report?

Statik said:
I am very surprised by this myself. We knew demand was not going to be as large as intially originally thought...but still, figuring the crush of new/2012 inventory hitting the dealers, I was wagering a couple months of good/irregular sales (over 2K), before we seen what the ongoing demand in these regions were...maybe by January, but it seems to be showing up here and now.

Given about 120 days of inventory on the lots, its not good, and no way to hit 10K this year for GM.

Only thing I can think of is - in CA the sales have come to a standstill as people are waiting for the Volts with HOV access. But large production #s in the last few months with much less sales makes it difficult to argue at this point that every Volt being prodced is getting sold.

The 2012 price bump on the LEAF may damper spirits some as well when looking ahead. I'd say the early returns on Volt demand from this month, does make me question Nissan's ambituous expectations on the LEAF, and US production. Starting to feel like the ceiling on LEAF sales in the US is going to be in the neighbourhood of 4K.
Yes - we know that orphans (2011) aren't getting picked up as quickly as before, even with discounts (though recently I saw an orphan sold by my nearest dealer for 5K premium).

I'd be sceptical of even a 4K per month sale without heavy marketing & some price cuts by Nissan.

While we know the sales of Leaf are mainly determined by allocation - what we don't know is whether the allocation is low because the demand is low. Inspite of the low allocation I've not seen many posts about how someone who wants one is not able to order (in the states where ordering is now possible).

But I'm sure Nissan sell all they can make globally - just not sure what the level of demand is in US.

I believe the possibility for 4000/month has come and gone. California is your best market and most who have wanted to buy one, has one. Temperate climate, incentives. A larger portion of the states have much harsher weather, no HOV incentive, and a tougher sell.

This will be an interesting next 6 months. I mean, they sold 400 Smarts last month. Fiat has sold 16,000-17,000 500's so far this year and they fired someone over it. That plant in Tennessee may have to be retooled for something else if sales continue to be this dismal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back