J1772 plug temperature

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valdemar

I can feel that J1772 warms up a bit during charging (L2) around contacts. It is not hot to the touch so I don't think there is an issue (like dirty contacts) but just want to check with others because I don't recall this happening before, likely I was just not paying attention or would unplug long time after charging was complete.

I check my entire system every time I'm plugged in, whether it's the L1 or L2. Just something I do. I have never noticed any heat or warmth at the plug end to the car or the length of the cable. I have had car plugged in for as little as 1 hour to as long as 10 hrs with the L1. I hear a slight hum and that's it. I have the aerovironment unit in my garage. :)

Hmm, I have a Blink unit it has a different plug than AV, may be that is the reason. Everything is cold except the tip of the plug. I guess I can try cleaning up the pins with alcohol and see if that helps, I can only explain this with excess resistance between the plug and the socket pins.

Valdemar said:
Hmm, I have a Blink unit it has a different plug than AV, may be that is the reason. Everything is cold except the tip of the plug. I guess I can try cleaning up the pins with alcohol and see if that helps, I can only explain this with excess resistance between the plug and the socket pins.

Clearly the blink designers thought of every possible situation that you could be in and added a few resistors to prevent the plug from getting frozen to your car.

coolfilmaker said:
Valdemar said:

Clearly the blink designers thought of ever possible situation that you could be in and added a few resistors to prevent the plug from getting frozen to your car.

They thought of everything but how to make the unit work when you need to charge.

coolfilmaker said:
Valdemar said:

Clearly the blink designers thought of ever possible situation that you could be in and added a few resistors to prevent the plug from getting frozen to your car.

That makes one thing they did right.

walter said:
I check my entire system every time I'm plugged in, whether it's the L1 or L2. Just something I do. I have never noticed any heat or warmth at the plug end to the car or the length of the cable. I have had car plugged in for as little as 1 hour to as long as 10 hrs with the L1. I hear a slight hum and that's it. I have the aerovironment unit in my garage. :)

In the cold, the cable (EVSE to J1772 part) in my modified EVSEupgrade 16A EVSE will get somewhat warm, at least warm enough to melt some snow around it if lying on the ground. I had some problems getting it loose once, as the melted snow had frozen again after the charging finished :lol:

jkirkebo said:
walter said:

In the cold, the cable (EVSE to J1772 part) in my modified EVSEupgrade 16A EVSE will get somewhat warm, at least warm enough to melt some snow around it if lying on the ground. I had some problems getting it loose once, as the melted snow had frozen again after the charging finished :lol:

You could use the timer to have it finish charging right before you need it. Might not be a bad idea.

jkirkebo said:
walter said:

You could use the timer to have it finish charging right before you need it. Might not be a bad idea.

I only use the portable EVSE on public charge points, where I often do not know exactly when I'll be back, so the timer is useless. And the freezing might only take 10 minutes if it's cold enough outside :)

But it's not a huge problem, I'll just have to be somewhat careful in how I arrange the cable.

So I took a cotton swab and cleaned the contacts with isopropyl alcohol, now the plug is noticeably colder than before or so it seems. The swab became somewhat dirty after cleaning, it looked like there was mild oxidation or very fine-grained metallic dust from contacts rubbing against each other when connection and disconnecting. Hoping that was it.

Back