Is the CCS to CHADEMO adapter legitimate?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As am I as well. The question is, are they designing their own or waiting for a source, which means it could be the same one pictured above or one from AliBaba. In any case, the tests above are very encouraging. For me, the #1 concern is it must not damage my car. Ever. Shelling out $1000 only to some day need a $5000 repair will not go over well at all. :oops: To remove the Leaf's CHAdeMO stigma is huge, but there will be those saying "But I have to spend extra to get it." Yes, you do, but you have an option you never had to now take trips with no more restrictions than a Bolt or any other CCS equipped car. A pipe dream would be that Nissan might offer to resell it at a loss to help Leaf owners. 🤣

He has had several problems if you watch the other videos.
Yes, I did watch his other videos, and he says he finally got it to work on the EVgo station after about two weeks of back and forth troubleshooting with the manufacture.

He stated that he was going to continue to test going forward so stay tuned if you are interested in seeing how it develops.

Also Kyle of Out of Spec Motoring has an adapter on order and it planning on testing it too.

https://outofspecstudios.com/

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, he got it to work at some EVgo stations, I believe with only one brand of charging unit not the other that EVgo uses. Also, didn't work at a third brand unit at a Nissan dealer...in fact caused a fault in the unit.

I would be worried about spending $1000 dollars, only to have the charging stations programmed to block these adapters.

We need a certified, properly test adapter that is approved by the manufacturers of the charging stations. They should be working together on this to solve the ChaDeMo puzzle and open up more stations for use by Leafs

We need a certified, properly test adapter that is approved by the manufacturers of the charging stations. They should be working together on this to solve the ChaDeMo puzzle and open up more stations for use by Leafs
Nissan should be part of this too. If the car suffers an electronic failure there will be dealers who blame the adapter.

My dream is Nissan CSS retrofit. Yeah, that won't happen. I can dream can't I ?

Nissan should be *required* to retrofit. All of us paid for the DC fast charging electronics as part of our purchase price implicitly or explicitly. For the older Leafs, this price was an explicit upgrade cost (for the fast charging package) IIRC. They can provide a quality adapter and to be honest, it should be below cost (slightly) given that the idiots keep selling Leafs with Chademo.....Even the 2024 model!!!!!!! I would pay $1000 or so for a quality CCS1 adapter. I mean I paid a few hundred for the Tesla destination charger adapter just to open up that possibility and to get some payback vs the Tesla's that are always leeching off the public L2 chargers when a massive Supercharger station is literally only a block or two away (Serramonte Mall in Daly City, CA)

The Chademo licensing fee needs to be reduced or outright ignored. They have lost the format wars. Reducing the licensing fee could easily shave $200 - $400 off of the cost ($100 would be "reasonable").

Anyway, I am happy that something like this is now available, even if the CCS1 adapter still seems to be under development / debugging by the manufacturer. I still *can* charge my car with Chademo, it is just more of a PITA than it used to be. These adapters need to be reliable, with multiple competitors by the time Chademo finally gives up the ghost (few more years?)

Hopefully in a year or so there will be a quality CCS1 adapter available for $800 - $1000.

Nissan should be *required* to retrofit.
Sorry, that is not how life works. They supplied the car one way, they didn't supply the Chademo charging network with it. There are winners and losers in this world, sometimes the choice you make come out on top, sometimes it doesn't.
As long as Nissan's Chademo charge socket works for the duration of the warranty, they have held up their end. If you have a complaint, it is with the charging networks, not the car mfg.
Too many today, feel they are always "the victim" and owed recompense, when in fact, they just made a choice that turns out later not to be to their liking.
There may be money to be made making a good, safe reliable CCS to Chademo adapter, but the car is what it is, and always has been.

Sorry, that is not how life works. They supplied the car one way, they didn't supply the Chademo charging network with it. There are winners and losers in this world, sometimes the choice you make come out on top, sometimes it doesn't.
As long as Nissan's Chademo charge socket works for the duration of the warranty, they have held up their end. If you have a complaint, it is with the charging networks, not the car mfg.
Too many today, feel they are always "the victim" and owed recompense, when in fact, they just made a choice that turns out later not to be to their liking.
There may be money to be made making a good, safe reliable CCS to Chademo adapter, but the car is what it is, and always has been.
So, you think it is entirely legitimate for Nissan to continue to sell Nissan Leaf's with the Chademo plug? Neither the 2023, and especially not the 2024 model should have EVER been shipped with a failed DC fast charging port standard. Maybe I can get some discount appliances (lamps, TVs, etc) with European plugs and sell them in the United States at full price? Maybe your argument would hold water if they stopped selling Chademo cars before standard died...but they did not. The 2024 model at least has made them liable to provide some sort of adapter

The whole reason for having fast charging is to be able to go on a longer trip with the car. If there is no longer any where to fast charge the car, it is no longer a car, but instead a glorified golf cart.

This is not a "sometimes your choices in life work, sometimes they don't". It is not a watch, or a blender. They sold a product for $30,000 to $45,000 that is not useable as sold. The comparable alternatives (ICE, CCS, and NACS EVs) do not have any such problems and limitations Do you do a detailed research about whether there are gas stations available with the right "plug" to refill your ICE car?

I got my 2020 Leaf in Jan 2023. Shortly after that Electrify America started removing Chademo plugs, leaving only 1 station with a chademo cord at each location....despite the fact that their chargers can only charge 1 car anyway (meaning why have 2x CCS cords anyway). The only way I'm recovering the value of my car is if there's a spike in oil prices and I can trick someone else into buying it.

There is nothing defective or wrong with thee Chademo, so no I don't think Nissan did anything wrong by selling those cars. The complaint you have is with EA (owned by VW) not Chademo.
It takes time to pivot. There are good reason for Chademo , but like the Betamax vs. VHS, Chademo lost out to what the outside forces decided they would use. I don't think Sony had an obligation to replace the Betamax systems and all the tapes with VHS, nor do I think NIssan should replace the Chademo.
Companies should be forced when there is a defect in parts or workmanship, not when the outside market decides to support a different plug!
It neither makes the car useless nor prevents its use. Early Leafs didn't come with a fast charge option at all! There is no call to "force" Nissan to add that feature!
Yes, it may have made a better business decision to go with CCS in the North American market, but would require a re-design of the electronics, it isn't just "swapping one plug out for the other" but a whole change on how the electronics "talk to each other". If it was just a plug, it would be simple.
You are blaming Nissan for another companies choices, that is the problem. I'll agree that staying with Chademo in the current North American market makes the Leaf less desirable, but that doesn't make it a defect, any more than not including a DC fast charge option on early S models is a "defect".
You are unhappy with YOUR choice and the choice of EA but are blaming Nissan. Put the blame where it belongs.

Cornbinder89 is totally correct. You picked the wrong horse for fast charging. But that's your fault, not Nissan (they picked the wrong one too). Be happy that it can still be charged with a SAE charger!

If anybody should be "forced" to do anything it is E-A they were created as part of consent decree settlement between VW and the US and Canada over their Diesel emission scandal. VW didn't choose or want to be in the charging game, and is it any surprise they are favoring the charge platform that their cars use? Being that they are a "court ordered" company to begin with, the Chademo issue should able to be dictated.

I have never seen an EA location with more than one Chademo connector. I gave up on Nissan after our first long road trip in our 2020 SV+ in the fall of 2022. We sold the SV+ to friends as a second car to their Tesla and bought a used 2018 Tesla. Our second car is a 2014 Leaf which we have had since it was new. We plan to drive that until it dies. As it has almost 90,000 miles and 12 bars, that could be a while.

A couple of weeks ago, we got Tesla's CCS retrofit installed. It was $350 and included a hardware upgrade for the car and a CCS to Tesla adapter which we keep in the car for emergencies. With the retrofit, we'll be able to use every L3 charger. Tesla previously sold a Chademo to Tesla adapter. Newer Teslas have the CCS hardware built in. All they require is the plug adapter, which is $150.

Whether you like Elon Musk or not, Tesla understood the necessity for convenient, reliable charging a dozen years ago. Other manufacturers only got religion in the past year. It will take a few years for any EV, other than Tesla, to use any L3 charger as Tesla will have to upgrade many of their Superchargers to allow CCS charging, even with adapters. Meanwhile, Superchargers have turned into a lucrative business for Tesla.

If we replace the Tesla, it may not be a Tesla, but it certainly won't be a Nissan.

Back