Is Nissan (Marketing) in over their head?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I have a sinking feeling, like I can't depend on Social Security for my retirement, that I can't depend on Nissan for helping me install the charger: in the end it will probably end up being my responsibility to find an electrical contractor and have them install a SAE J1772 in the home since I don't think there's as strong a push to serve the 2nd through 4th tiers as much as the showcase tier 1 installations. This isn't so much a knock against Nissan: I think expecting a car company, even an EV car company, to be responsible for any home preparation to be above and beyond (except maybe Tesla for that price and since they require a custom charger) and applaud the Project EV folks for helping Nissan make this a reality at least in some areas. I only hope we can set up a new board for putting potential customers in contact with Electrical Contractors where we can compare experiences and provide feedback for others. And at least today, there is that Federal Tax Credit for it.

Nubo said:
Looks like a decent trend:

http://www.google.com/trends?q=%22nissan+leaf%22&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

And if they are close to an announcement, expect the upward trend in awareness to accelerate.

... WHAT! </Peter-Griffin-Voice>

St. Louis, MO has been asking about the LEAF more than TX or DC and yet we're getting the LEAF before them? Ouch! I'm calling this the cruelest tier 4 choice of them all!

There are a lot of issues to be tackled when rolling out a new product, and in any large company, the gears of progress grind slowly. I personally think Nissan is doing a great job getting the ball rolling, and my only annoyance is their lack of firm info to give to the dealers and future Leaf owners. A little too much has been "subject to change."

I'm used to dealing with VW and Lotus, which have the attitude of "for better or for worse, here is how it's coming to you. Plan accordingly."

KeiJidosha said:
When the MINI E launched, the cars had been ready for months before the EVSE issues got worked out to the point that BMW could commence delivery. BMW had just ~500 cars to deliver limited to Los Angeles and New York.

I think Nissan is doing OK, but I think eTec and AV are struggling with the EVSE. It is a political and regulatory cluster as the J1772 standard was just approved in January. Both companies have BtoB experience, but are new to consumer retail. Add in hundreds of city and county fiefdoms that need to be appeased, along with UL, and you can only drag them so fast. Many of the MINI Es ended up being delivered and charged with the Level 1 120V charger, some for months. It may not go smoothly, but the results are worth the trouble.

I know AV is struggling with their high prices, but eTec is the EV Project and they are DEFINITELY not struggling since they have the big grant to install home chargers and thousands of other ones throughout the country.

leaffan said:
I know AV is struggling with their high prices, but eTec is the EV Project and they are DEFINITELY not struggling since they have the big grant to install home chargers and thousands of other ones throughout the country.

He is talking about logistics.

Back