Is it worth to purchasing Nissan Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LenStevenson

Hello guys, I am the newbie here and I want to purchase the Nissan Leaf but I am not quite sure if it is suitable for me, is there anyone who can tell me about your experience with Nissan Leaf? Pros and cons?

You will get lots of feedback from this Forum, but as a personal anecdote I know 2 people who have bought new Leafs in the past month, and we have had 2 Leafs over the years which have been terrific for us. Your intended use is probably the biggest factor- they are not the best long-distance EVs but for the daily runabout with the ability to charge at home, that is their best use. Best of luck!

We are a 2 Leaf Plus family (3 kids). As said above for travels up to 200 miles in summer and 150 in winter (some variation on where you are) it's pretty stress free (with Plus model). Remote heating/cooling even in your garage is very handy. Up to about about 350-400 miles is very doable, but you need to look ahead for appropriate charging infrastructure. Above 400 is also doable (I have done close to 600 miles in a day), but will be slower than most of the newer EVs.

Car is very comfortable, and the hatchback design, while not in vogue, is very handy for costco runs.

Chademo charging port has lost the war here in the US, but is still seeing new stations go up. Depending on where you live, we are likely to see at least 2 more years of pretty good support, even growth in locations, longer term will likely decline. If you don't plan to road trip the car, it may not even matter.

OP, perhaps you should elaborate a bit about your specific concerns, preferences and needs. In these "is the Leaf right for me?" posts, we need some details to work from. Where do you live? What other cars do you own? What's your typical commute? What's the farthest you would need the Leaf to travel in a single day? Why are you considering the Leaf? Are you considering Gen 1 or Gen 2 Leaf? Which battery size?Have you owned an EV before? Stuff like that.

Else I suggest you just pick a topic of interest and start reading some of the thousands of existing threads about living with a Leaf. You don't actually have to read thousands of threads - you'll start get the gist after just a few.

My point is you appear to be trying to acquire the answer to a very complex question while putting in minimal effort. If that's even close to true then my best answer is that the Leaf is not right for you. Gen 1 requires significant dedication and thoughtfulness. The larger battery packs in Gen 2 make for a much more forgiving experience, but still require intentionality of use. I don't mean to be rude, but you don't present like the typical Leaf lover.

LenStevenson said:
Hello guys, I am the newbie here and I want to purchase the Nissan Leaf but I am not quite sure if it is suitable for me, is there anyone who can tell me about your experience with Nissan Leaf? Pros and cons?

You've received some good responses already, but bottom line is that people who regret buying a LEAF are almost without exception victims of their own lack of knowledge...

For older LEAFs, you need to understand your range needs and have a good plan for how you will charge the car. If you can charge at home, that's going to make things much easier, especially if you can install a level 2 EVSE at home.

If you want to occasionally road trip longer distances, then expect to take considerably longer than the trip would take in a gas powered car and look for a LEAF with CHADEMO charging capability.

Lastly, for older LEAFs realize that battery condition is everything. Purchase an OBD2 dongle that's compatible with LeafSpy now, before you go shopping. Before making a purchasing decision, check the SOH metric using LeafSpy and do a quick range test too (reset trip counter, drive at around 50 mph with the heater off until the SOC drops by 25%, multiply the trip counter mileage by 4 - that's the approximate full range).

We owned a leaf for four years. It was a great car and I recommend it to anyone who needs it primarily as a commuter and occasionally for road trips. Our needs changed and we purchased a Tesla. But I wouldn’t t hesitate to buy another leaf if we ever need a good reliable commuter and occasional trip car.

Hope that helps.

John

I'm not going to discourage more responses, but it is possible that you won't hear from the OP again. The first post meets the criteria for posting here, but it also has a certain resemblance to a form, with three or four site-specific words added to get it passed spam filters. We'll see.

OP joined, 1h later posted the OP and hasn't returned since then, even though there have been 6 posts later. I personally wouldn't engage them unless they at least show some interest in their very vague OP.
Classic one and done, which we have TONS on MNL :(

Back