insurance

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Progressive used to be unbeatable, but their rates have been creeping up for years. They really want people to install their big brother reporting device for the best rates. No thanks!

Bicster said:
Progressive used to be unbeatable, but their rates have been creeping up for years. They really want people to install their big brother reporting device for the best rates. No thanks!

I wouldn't mind using this device myself, but last I looked they don't offer it in my state (I believe it's illegal). And besides, they say it only saves up to 30% -- that'd make them still significantly more expensive than Safeco for me!

$295.00 / 6 months from the reptile.

I had Allstate for 5 years for my house, cars, boat, umbrella, etc. My rates went up every year. I moved everything to the reptile and my rates cut in half and have dropped 4 out of the past 6 years.

I will never look back.

Allstate wants to raise my rate 28% to add the Leaf to my stable and put 12k/year on it, reducing the usage on my 2006 Audi to just 3k/year.

Esurance (now part of Allstate) on the other hand is willing to sell me identical coverage for what Allstate has been charging me for just the Audi alone. The only thing I appear to lose is Accident Forgiveness, and as Allstate no longer offers "Your Choice Auto" insurance in California, I may have already lost that some time ago.

Allstate though is not the most expensive. Almost everybody else is considerably more expensive than even them. Even AAA, whose quotes were always fairly close to Allstate's, wants a LOT more to insure the Leaf.

YMMV when it comes to car insurance and why you should always shop around at renewal time.

^^^
No wonder I saw an Esurance thread on Tivocommunity today. :D

FWIW, I'd try Safeco. I saved a lot of $ by switching to them from State Farm ages ago. I have been very remiss in shopping around for insurance but the last time I tried (long ago) everyone was way more expensive. My shopping was trying out insweb.com and calling a few companies.

cwerdna said:
FWIW, I'd try Safeco. I saved a lot of $ by switching to them from State Farm ages ago. I have been very remiss in shopping around for insurance but the last time I tried (long ago) everyone was way more expensive.

Safeco was still considerably more than esurance.

I stil find it amusing to see comparisons between carriers because rates for the same carier and exact same person can vary by 30% by simply moving a few blocks, mine did. I have AAA and I'm in an expensive zip code but I have multi-policy discounts. Regardless, try a company that does not advertise as they have much lower costs usually.

EVDRIVER said:
I stil find it amusing to see comparisons between carriers because rates for the same carier and exact same person can vary by 30% by simply moving a few blocks, mine did. I have AAA and I'm in an expensive zip code but I have multi-policy discounts.

There's no doubt that zip code plays a huge role in your premium costs. But it's amazing to see how one company's low risk insured is another's "OMG they're going to bankrupt us if we insure them!"

Apparently AAA doesn't seem to have a problem with me in my 200 HP Audi, but in a Leaf they think I'm going to turn into a reckless maniac :lol:

Both Flo and The Lizard apparently don't like unmarried males, even older ones, because they have consistently been more expensive than most other insurers for me. Yet, GEICO had relatively cheap motorcycle insurance back when I was still riding (which was only a few years ago).

I was very disappointed to discover the other day that The Hartford (AARP) has yet to implement their EV discount country-wide. They've had a hybrid discount for years and had released a press release last year stating that they would offer the same for EV owners throughout the US by the end of 2012, but that apparently didn't come to pass.. Still, their rates are fairly reasonable so no major complaints..

Back