Installing front license plate without drilling

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In anticipation of the kit arriving I was wondering if anyone knew where I can get replacement tow hook covers for the Leaf. From what I can the part number listed on the cover is "622A0 3NA0A". Depending on how the kit turns out I may want to drill or cut holes in the cover as opposed to leaving the cover off and I don't want to do this to the original painted cover.

Can't speak for other states but it is a no-no in California...

LEAFer said:
Sorry for the "interuption" ... but ... out-of-box thinking ... does CA (or any other state) allow the use of a "decal" or facsimilie of the license plate for use on the front ?

mogur said:

LEAFer said:
Sorry for the "interuption" ... but ... out-of-box thinking ... does CA (or any other state) allow the use of a "decal" or facsimilie of the license plate for use on the front ?
Luckily, California doesn't seem to enforce the requirement for a front plate. I haven't had one on any of my cars for decades. On my last car, a MINI, I purposely asked the dealer not to install the mount. That way, I wouldn't have to take it off again, and deal with those holes....

I just stared out the window at oncoming freeway traffic for a while. It looks like perhaps 1 in every 8 cars is front-plate-less. Mostly sporty cars, and pick-ups... for some odd reason.

I don't want to encourage anyone else to be a scofflaw, but I hadn't even considered installing a front plate on my Leaf.

Not any more. California has become much more aggressive with this of late and there is now a mandatory fine (well, I should say, in L.A. at least).

I know two people who have been hit with it in the last few months. Also, meter maids can give you a ticket for it as well in any public parking area.

gasmiser1 said:
Front license plate is a CA requirement. However, to my understanding-if stopped by a cop, it's just a fix-it ticket.

DaveNagy said:
Luckily, California doesn't seem to enforce the requirement for a front plate. I haven't had one on any of my cars for decades.
Depends 100% on where you park. If you always park in private areas (at home, work, shopping) you'll never get a ticket.

Park on a street, or at a park or similar, and the meter-maid will come and get you. Been like this since at least the mid 90s or so when I drove successfully w/o a front plate for years, then parked in the wrong spot.

Then noticed that cars parked on the street w/tickets after meter-maids rolled through were often the cars w/o front plates.

drees said:
DaveNagy said:
Luckily, California doesn't seem to enforce the requirement for a front plate. I haven't had one on any of my cars for decades.
Depends 100% on where you park. If you always park in private areas (at home, work, shopping) you'll never get a ticket.

Park on a street, or at a park or similar, and the meter-maid will come and get you. Been like this since at least the mid 90s or so when I drove successfully w/o a front plate for years, then parked in the wrong spot.

Then noticed that cars parked on the street w/tickets after meter-maids rolled through were often the cars w/o front plates.
---------------------------------------------------------
Yikes! I'd better get a plate on my Insight pronto. Guess I've been lucky so far. The state needs $$$ so I understand the fines :evil:

drees said:
DaveNagy said:
Interesting. That fits with my experience. My cars tend to either be in motion, or parked (nose-in) in some garage or another. I can't remember the last time a parked on a street. It's always in a lot or garage of some sort.

I have been pulled over for speeding a couple times in the last 20 years, and the officer either didn't notice or didn't care. But that was probably my point of maximum peril.

I do wonder if I'd have trouble using a FastPass transponder without a front plate. I assume they take pictures of the rear plate as well, but it would be trivial for them to ding me for a missing plate while they were at it.

I'll put both plates on if I'm forced, but I hope it doesn't come to that.

Hmmm, I don't even remember if I have the second plate for my car anymore....

Just wanted to post a quick note that I got the kit and have installed it on the Leaf. I follow up soon with more details.

2gtuis2.jpg

DaveNagy said:
mogur said:

LEAFer said:
Luckily, California doesn't seem to enforce the requirement for a front plate. I haven't had one on any of my cars for decades. On my last car, a MINI, I purposely asked the dealer not to install the mount. That way, I wouldn't have to take it off again, and deal with those holes....

I just stared out the window at oncoming freeway traffic for a while. It looks like perhaps 1 in every 8 cars is front-plate-less. Mostly sporty cars, and pick-ups... for some odd reason.

I don't want to encourage anyone else to be a scofflaw, but I hadn't even considered installing a front plate on my Leaf.

Yup. Same here. I'm telling my dealer NOT to install the front plate panel.

I prefer to roll along without the front plates. I have been driving without front plates on both our cars for 10 years, no ticket. Basically, just don't park in street areas where you know the meter maid runs rounds. When I am in SF, I just park in the parking garages.

In Oregon:

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/vehicle/plates.shtml#License_Plate_Display

A single license plate is issued to mopeds, motorcycles, trailers, campers, antique vehicles, and special interest vehicles, while two license plates are issued to all other types of vehicles registered by DMV, including passenger vehicles and trucks (See ORS 803.525).

If only one license plate is issued, it must be displayed on the rear of the vehicle. If two plates are issued, one must be displayed on the front of the vehicle and the other on the rear of the vehicle. Plates must be in plain view so as to be easily read by the public and law enforcement (See ORS 803.540).

License plates may not be altered and must not be covered by any material that alters their appearance. Furthermore, plate frames or holders must not prevent the numbers, letters, or stickers from being readable (See ORS 803.550 for more information).

GroundLoop said:
To each their own. Not my thang, but it's certainly going to turn heads.
Not my thang either but so far seems to be the least evil of the three legal options presented to me so far. The other two being to drill holes in the bumper or rig bolts to the grill. My intent is not to turn heads but quite the opposite when it comes to the front plate.

I've sent an email to my dealer asking them not to install the front mounting bracket. I haven't heard back yet, but since I'm not scheduled for delivery until April I'm not worried yet.

GroundLoop said:
Spies said:
Just wanted to post a quick note that I got the kit and have installed it on the Leaf. I follow up soon with more details.

2gtuis2.jpg

x2, To me the only thing worse than front and center is this side mount configuration.
Mine will be mounted by the dealer according to the book. One citation for a missing front plate is enough and I have had two.

smkettner said:
GroundLoop said:
Spies said:

2gtuis2.jpg

x2, To me the only thing worse than front and center is this side mount configuration.
Mine will be mounted by the dealer according to the book. One citation for a missing front plate is enough and I have had two.

+1

My understanding is that the "photo enforcement" cameras need both front and rear license photos in order to prosecute a ticket in CA. So, maybe that's another reason many people are not mounting the front plates. At any rate, not having a front plate will result in a hefty fine if you're stopped.

BTW: those "Big Brother" photo cameras are another story all together. IMHO, they are just another example of how big government has intruded on our personal privacy, ostensibly in the name of "safety"---but really, just to take your money from you.

That is going to cause some serious wind drag and turbulence. By messing with plate position many will mess up the aerodynamics of the car.

Could you post a picture of it from a head-on position in front of the leaf. I'd like to see what it look like from that perspective.

Thanks!

Spies said:

Back