Installing front license plate without drilling

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mogur said:
Could you post a picture of it from a head-on position in front of the leaf. I'd like to see what it look like from that perspective.
Once the rains settles a bit and my significant other returns with the car I will do that. In the meantime here is a link to the install photos. Pay no attention to my handy work with duct tape which I intend to replace with a new tow hook cover that I have on order even though the duct tape seems to work just fine. https://picasaweb.google.com/100443303647203801431/LeafTowBar?authkey=Gv1sRgCN_YlLTxw-Tmag&feat=directlink

The aerodynamics of the Leaf are already pretty mediocre (which causes the range degradation at high speeds). A front license plate would not help the situation.

Struggled with installing the front bracket for an hour this weekend before finally succeeding. The manual instructions are, to be kind, a joke. They are at times unclear, at times outright wrong, and at times absurd (they want you to use a .39 inch drill bit - I've never heard of one that size before). I think I ended up using 3/8" (.375) and it worked fine, FYI. The grommets are for **** and you need to be careful not to break them.

ENIAC said:
Here are some photo's.

Thats Prefect.. Not to low not to high I like it.. Well I hate the front plate but like you will have to do the same to mine.. I don't understand why the CHP thinks they need it.. the Reg tag is on the back.. Nice job ENIAC

Here's another third party solution that looks promising: http://skenedesign.com/FPBracket/index.shtml

You'd still have to drill holes, but on the underside of the bumper. Also, the license plate could be positioned in front of the bumper, not the grill, to avoid that "buck-tooth" look.

I contacted the company and got the following reply regarding applying this to a Leaf:
Thank you for your interest in the Skene Design license plate bracket.

Even though the Leaf has 3 1/2 inches of depth, I think medium bracket would work well with this car. The curvature of the front bumper does not require the additional length of the extra long bracket.

This is in stock, and can ship today.

Jerry Skene

FLPB-side-small.jpg

Located in VA, adjustable hinged-joint for plate tilt, adjustable up and down a bit. Mounts with double-sided sticky tape, and one screw (1/8 inch hole) on each of the two independent brackets.

For wind buffeting, it is not clear how secure the mounting (tape and one self-tapping screw on either side) would be into a thin plastic bumper.

$50 for the bracket (any size), plus $6 shipping via USPS in USA, and possible tax.

Right, thanks Gary. Skene Design followed up with me again this morning after making measurements on an actual Leaf, and they are now recommending the long bracket instead of the medium. As of this morning, they've also added the Nissan Leaf to their list of supported vehicles, to choose the correct-sized bracket:
http://www.skenedesign.com/FPBracket/Choose.shtml

I will order a set and (when I get my license plates from CA DMV) let everyone know how they work out.

Don't know about wind buffeting, but I asked Jerry Skene if this bracket would hold up in an automatic car wash. Some of the tow hook based bracket products have specific instructions to remove to avoid damage to the bumper (and presumably the bracket as well). He replied:

The bracket is very strong. If the screws are tightened properly, it will certainly stand up to a car wash.

(I know, it's sacrilegious to consider anything but hand washing and waxing, but we're still at drought level 2 here in Encinitas, and I don't need to draw any more attention from my neighbors then I already have with the new EV in the driveway.)

Here is the Rho-plate kit mounted on my Leaf. I used their kit they make for the 2009-2011 370Z. I drilled a hole in the tow hook cover to make it cleaner looking. I also added a rear cover for the plate that I painted black on the inside to smooth up the look on the back. Their kit allows many different positions to mount the plate. You can have it lower, higher or right and left bias.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/190/plate1wp.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/829/plate2r.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/709/plate3.jpg/

Skene Design followed up with me again this morning after making measurements on an actual Leaf, and they are now recommending the long bracket instead of the medium. As of this morning, they've also added the Nissan Leaf to their list of supported vehicles, to choose the correct-sized bracket:

I will order a set and (when I get my license plates from CA DMV) let everyone know how they work out.

I finally got my plates and installed the Skene bracket today.

Decided I'd better not block the grill, so my Leaf still has the "buck-tooth grin" look, but the installation made only two small holes under the bumper. I spent more time centering the license plate than the actual install, which took less than 10 minutes: peel the two-sided tape and attach bracket to bumper, drill the holes (drill bit included in the kit), install screws, and tighten everything down.

It seems surprisingly sturdy, but time will tell...

dsc019141.jpg

dsc019121a.jpg

dsc019131.jpg

How would you have have physically mounted it if you were going to center it over the grill instead? Mount the brackets upside down?

Edit: I took a look at the pictures on their site and see that you can slide the entire thing up and down to position it vertically where you like, within reason...

lambert said:
Decided I'd better not block the grill, so my Leaf still has the "buck-tooth grin" look, but the installation made only two small holes under the bumper. I spent more time centering the license plate than the actual install, which took less than 10 minutes: peel the two-sided tape and attach bracket to bumper, drill the holes (drill bit included in the kit), install screws, and tighten everything down.

mogur said:
How would you have have physically mounted it if you were going to center it over the grill instead? Mount the brackets upside down?

Edit: I took a look at the pictures on their site and see that you can slide the entire thing up and down to position it vertically where you like, within reason...

Right. It's positioned all the way up right now. My original thinking was that the bracket would let me position the plate even higher, but it does not. I suppose I could mount it with the plate positioned nearly all the way down instead, or even attach it to the car below the grill, but both ways would block the grill.

lambert said:
Skene Design followed up with me again this morning after making measurements on an actual Leaf, and they are now recommending the long bracket instead of the medium. As of this morning, they've also added the Nissan Leaf to their list of supported vehicles, to choose the correct-sized bracket:

Looks very good. How sturdy does the mount seem? I was looking at it and would like to devise a bracket that actually clamps onto the grill - that way you don't get any holes in the bumper at all.

So with the Skene bracket, it's easy to change the mounting height of the plate?

lambert said:

[...] the installation made only two small holes under the bumper.[...]
It seems surprisingly sturdy, but time will tell...

dsc019141.jpg
The bracket looks more than sturdy enough, but I am curious as to what the two Phillips head screws screw up into? The underside of the bumper at that location feels hollow, so I think the screws screw into the plastic bumper?

drees said:
I was looking at it and would like to devise a bracket that actually clamps onto the grill - that way you don't get any holes in the bumper at all.
That's how I did it. I mounted through the grill with drywall anchors and 1.25 inch washers. Works great.

The Skene Design looks good but it's expensive and you have to drill through the bumper. The point is I didn't want to drill through the bumper.

ENIAC said:
drees said:
I was looking at it and would like to devise a bracket that actually clamps onto the grill - that way you don't get any holes in the bumper at all.
That's how I did it. I mounted through the grill with drywall anchors and 1.25 inch washers. Works great.

The Skene Design looks good but it's expensive and you have to drill through the bumper. The point is I didn't want to drill through the bumper.
That should work out - what'd you use to build your bracket? I was looking for details but looks like you removed them earlier in this thread? I would probably mount the plate higher than what you have...

Back