Installation Costs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stinGeorgia

There's a more than $1,000 difference in the price quotes I've received from AeroVironment and my local electrician for the installation of the charging equipement in my home. Nissan's vendor says it's because they've spent so much money on specialized training for their electricians. I'm skeptical. Has anyone used their own electricians to do the work, and how did that work out? Thanks

Plenty of people use their own electricians and it works out just fine for them. That's a bunch of BS Areovironment is feeding you about specialized training. I don't think there's anything special that a licensed electrician needs to learn to do the job right.

I had my AV EVSE installed by my own electrician, works fine. Don't pay any attention to AV. Get quotes from local electricians and go with the combo of best price and someone who appears knowledgeable. I got quotes that varied widely, including one guy who said it couldn't be done with my condo setup, so it pays to shop around. If you are in an area where a lot of people have had installs (e.g., Los Angeles), look for threads here about reliable choices.

search nissan leaf on ebay, find AV evse for $599 plus $20 shipping, get it in about 1 week

call local electrician and have it installed or do it yourself if you are capable

save $2000

:D

Many thanks to all for the quick replies! I'm going to be one of the first people here in Georgia to buy a LEAF, so I appreciate being able to learn from your experience. :D

kmp647 said:
search nissan leaf on ebay, find AV evse for $599 plus $20 shipping, get it in about 1 week

I emailed that seller, that unit has the 15' J-1772 cord with it, I think I would buy it if it had the 25' cord.

nogajim said:
If you are in the Atlanta area, I used Pat Murphy Electric. They have a flat $700 rate.

For $749 + $25 shipping, you can get the SPX PowerExpress, which has the advangtage of settable current, 12, 16, 24, or 32 AMP adjustable, so you can match it to your circuit, which is a bonus if you take it with you on a trip. I think thats a better deal than the Aerovironment unit for $700

https://www.homecharging.spx.com/Portal/Display.aspx?id=11&menu=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I agree with everything people here say: if you're willing to do your homework, and make sure you're getting a good electrician, you can save at least $1000, and in my case about $2000, in markups. I spent a fair amount of time asking around, and got my referral from a contractor who I know well. I was very happy with the electrican's work (he put in the circuits for what was supposed to be a Leviton L2 charger, but that's another story - see my other posts.) Aerovironment needs a markup to pay for a staff of program managers, monitors, estimators, etc.; Nissan got AV interested in the business by saying they'd force customers to go through them, and pay a markup, and that customers could get a lot of the money back through tax rebates. Nissan could eliminate horror stories of gullible customers being ripped off by unscrupulous electricians who don't know what they're doing through AV's careful organization. Obviously, it hasn't worked out the way Nissan and AV planned; at least one AV subcon I heard about had a quote acceptance rate as low as 15%, so a lot of customers are brave enough to "go it alone". The horror stories of people who've got their own electrician have not materialized.
Thanks to the outlandish Leviton Charger prices, I've been getting by with L1 charging so far, but agree SPX is probably the most attractive option available today; I'll probably choose an L2 charger in a couple of months, even though L1 is all I really need since I live 9 miles from work.

- Bob

No need to install. Make your L2 charger portable like I did. [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cm8fy1lvyE[/youtube]

vin944 said:
No need to install. Make you L2 charger portable like I did. [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cm8fy1lvyE[/youtube]

Yes, Vin, very nice, however, the SPX PowerExpress is a similar weight, and has the advantage of an adjustable pilot signal (12A, 16A, 24A or 32A), so you can "match" the "portable" EVSE to the circuit ampacity you are plugging into, of course this wasn't an option when the Aerovironment was the only game in town.

If you go with the SPX solution, you also will have the 32A capability, for a future EV as well, so the same as your AV unit with the 30AMP dryer cord, the cords are interchangeable on the SPX.

Also, Phil's modified / upgraded Nissan EVSE is less than either solution, for about $300 from evseupgrade.com, then all you need is an L6-20R wired to a 20AMP 2-pole breaker, for your 240 charging. The current Leaf can't use more than that anyway currently.

Yes I agree Mitch. I could have done more research but with the 18 mo wait I was anxious and all I knew was AV. I didn't know about other chargers i just wanted to drive the car. After reading around in here I do see there are many charging solutions. Live an learn I guess but I at least saved $1200 because the guy was scheduled to come and install. By the way I wonder if I can get my $99 back from the home assessment?

Yes I am sure it was extensive training to charge $1200 to bolt the AV unit to my wall where the prewired 40a circuit was installed by the homebuilder as required by city code. :roll:
How tricky is a 40a 240v dedicated circuit for a licensed electrician, give us all a break AV :roll:
BTW I am driving almost 50 miles a day on L1 until more EVSE becomes available.

smkettner said:
Yes I am sure it was extensive training to charge $1200 to bolt the AV unit to my wall where the prewired 40a circuit was installed by the homebuilder as required by city code. :roll:
How tricky is a 40a 240v dedicated circuit for a licensed electrician, give us all a break AV :roll:
BTW I am driving almost 50 miles a day on L1 until more EVSE becomes available.

You are probably aware that the AV EVSE's with the 15' cords keep showing up on eBay, theres one up there for $599 + $20 shipping. Someone seems to have excess inventory...

I don't see the AV EVSE 15' on ebay just some adapter cords. Could you give a link. Also about the evseupgrade.com. Is the J 1772 cable from the stock charger capable of handling the 16-17 amps? It is smaller gauge cable than the 8AWG coming from AV 240 that I have. And the AV EVSE 240V does get warm just below the J1772 connector. Also the contactor in the AV unit gets hot. You can feel it on the backside of the unit. It's a 40A contactor. What hardware is inside the small unit in that respect? Anyone have any real life experience with this? I would like to have this upgrade but I have reservations about it since it looks like an upgrade that will output a similar 4kW but on much smaller hardware.

I installed my AV EVSE myself. Three wires, a couple of dozen screws and bolts, some basic
common sense. Absolutely nothing, "special" about it. Not to mention it's where I want it
to be, and the wiring is run where I want it run. ;)
Dock.jpg

vin944 said:
I don't see the AV EVSE 15' on ebay just some adapter cords. Could you give a link. Also about the evseupgrade.com. Is the J 1772 cable from the stock charger capable of handling the 16-17 amps? It is smaller gauge cable than the 8AWG coming from AV 240 that I have. And the AV EVSE 240V does get warm just below the J1772 connector. Also the contactor in the AV unit gets hot. You can feel it on the backside of the unit. It's a 40A contactor. What hardware is inside the small unit in that respect? Anyone have any real life experience with this? I would like to have this upgrade but I have reservations about it since it looks like an upgrade that will output a similar 4kW but on much smaller hardware.

sure: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2661&item=220847470541&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AVRI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He keeps selling them, then relisting the auction, $599 + $20 shipping. If its sold when you look, just click on "view relisted item"

Yes, the modified Nissan EVSE from evseupgrade.com handles the 16Amps just fine, from what others have said. The heat you are feeling is from the contactor coil, to keep it energized. The advtange of the modified EVSE is thats it can charge at the full rate of 16A, and is small and compact/portable, its also going to cost you less than any other option for full 3.8KW charging. Get a few different adapter cords, and you can charge anywhere, from a friends dryer outlet, or an RV Parks 50AMP campsite 240V connector...

Yes I see the item now on ebay. Wish I would have gotten that and saved $500. But I am also interested in the small charger upgrade. Looks like I would have to send this one in but just want to make sure it is a viable proven method of 3.8kW charging. Why isn't Nissan designing these and giving with the car? Money for AV?

Back