Installation Costs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mitch672 said:
Yes, or as Phil says, "trade it to with someone for their unmodifed unit", I'm sure they will be glad to get a free upgraded unit, you can also outright buy an upgraded unit as well, that doesn't have to be returned (then use it on your next EV or sell it outright when you are done with Leaf V1) There's lots of solutions to this.
If you read the FAQ (which addresses most of the concerns voiced on here, I might add), Phil also offers to trade an unmodified unit for your modded unit if you can't find any other way to handle the situation.

smkettner said:
I plan to eventually get just the 12a mod as it allows use at a house with a 6-15 connector that is available to me. Still twice as fast as L1 is good enough for me.
I researched this when debating whether to get the 16a capability on my second unit. Phil and others have said that charging with the 16 amp rev2 on 15 amp circuits is fine, as long as there's no other load. In the end I decided to get the rev2, and I'm happy I did. It seemed like a waste to not get the full capability out of the upgrade for the money spent and the time invested shipping off the EVSE. I've charged many times at my parents' on two 15 amp 120 volt circuits (using a 120v to 240v box I made) just fine. A breaker popped once (I think because my mom used the microwave) but after resetting it charging resumed fine.

I can't speak directly to charging on a 240v 15 amp circuit like your 6-15 would indicate, but I would assume it should handle it fine, especially since that's very likely a dedicated circuit so you don't have to worry about other loads tripping breakers. Also, have you checked the panel? It's possible that even though it's a 6-15 outlet it could be on a 20amp breaker.

Perhaps you could try out somebody's rev2 unit on the house in question to make sure before you decide. I might even be able to swing by myself sometime, as I see that you're in OC. PM if interested.

All that said, it would be awesome if Phil could figure out a way to put some kind of 12 amp / 16 amp switch on the rev2 unit so you have some margin when using 15 amp circuits. EDIT: This is really something that the car itself should be able to do. Perhaps someone will figure out a "hack" for this at some point. I think I read somewhere the Tesla has such a capability.

Back