I'm sick of the guess-o-meter ! what alternatives are out th

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NSXTASY

Case in point: Friday I charged the LEAF at work on 240V and topped it off at 100% hoping I'll be able to run all my weekend errants without having to recharge at home on my trickle charge... Left work on ECO showing 107 miles range, averaging around 4.6 miles/kWh. There is little elevationn change where I drive
I run several errants on Saturday, then by the evening I'm down to 50 miles on ECO. I have one more errant to go to and it's 13 miles away so 26 miles round trip. I'm thinking I'll be ok, right
I decide to take the "scenic" route and avoid highways. Max speed is 45 mph and I'm hypermiling every chance I get. I'm even seeing my average creep up a little to 4.7 miles/kWh. Everything good, right ?
Not really... By the time I get to my destination, the guess-o-meter shows 25 miles to go ?! So, to do 13 miles, I've used "25 miles" on the guess-o-meter. I have 3 bars left. Range anxiety start getting the best of me
I decide to do a bold move. I explain to my wife the better-be-safe-than-sorry thesis and that I have to go to the local Hampton Inn and charge for the 30 minutes she will be doing the errant. Which I do, and I end up charging 1.865 kW which gives me about an extra 15 miles on ECO extra. Just enough so I dont have to sweat it anymore. So at this moment the guess-o-meter shows 39 miles (dropped to 24 before I plugged in).
I was able to pick up the wife, and go back home with now 20 miles left on ECO. So without the extra 15 I picked up, I would have been down to 5. I reckon I would have still be fine... But the bottom line is that guess-o-meter is causing drivers unnecessary range anxiety... is there anything else out there that is a better prediction tool ?

you will learn to ignore the GOM.
We all do.
Also, too
You will learn to count bars and look at what you are averaging per bar.
You will learn to set the four buttons on your left hand to 0 for each trip to you can have the data.
You will learn how to spell errand.

thankyouOB said:
you will learn to ignore the GOM.
We all do.
Also, too
You will learn to count bars and look at what you are averaging per bar.
You will learn to set the four buttons on your left hand to 0 for each trip to you can have the data.
You will learn how to spell errand.
:lol:

TomT said:
Best option: Get one of the Gid meters. There are two or three different versions available from those on the board here...
Yep.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=215389#p215389" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is an example of one of them. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=230923#p230923" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; might prove useful.

Thanks for the threads. The WattLeft device seems very nice
Has anyone considered hacking into the CARWINGS,/NAV system (what OS is it running anyway, Android?) and reprogramminng things from there ?

NSXTASY said:
Has anyone considered hacking into the CARWINGS,/NAV system (what OS is it running anyway, Android?) and reprogramminng things from there ?
Yes. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=190051#p190051" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and maybe start from the 1st post in that thread.

Or instead of learning to ignore the guess-o-meter, you could learn to understand it. Remember everything it displays is a direct result of a mix of variables. It isn't just a magic random guess. So as long as you know why the car is displaying what it is, then you'll do fine.

It is difficult for the car to predict the future, not knowing
where and how you will drive.

So, it guesses the future based on your recent past history,
which gives optimistic estimates if you have been going
downhill, and pessimistic estimates if you have been
going uphill, or lead-footing the car.

Try the link in my signature to find out more about
the GID/SOC-Meter, in Kit form, or Built-and-Tested.

It does not try to predict the future, but displays
the best e-fuel gauge indication that we have found
so far within the car.

Cheers, Gary

garygid said:
It is difficult for the car to predict the future, not knowing
where and how you will drive.

So, it guesses the future based on your recent past history,
which gives optimistic estimates if you have been going
downhill, and pessimistic estimates if you have been
going uphill, or lead-footing the car.

Try the link in my signature to find out more about
the GID/SOC-Meter, in Kit form, or Built-and-Tested.

It does not try to predict the future, but displays
the best e-fuel gauge indication that we have found
so far within the car.

Cheers, Gary

anyone have any idea how LEAF defines "recent past history" in the GOM.
if we had some idea of whether that was miles or time or both or what, it would be a smoother path to understanding.

Guesses are around 5 minutes or miles, and perhaps less
with the latest firmware upgrade (which I do not have).

But, the GOM can lose 5 miles while you drive 1, with
only subtle changes in driving conditions.

When you get down to the last 2 "fuel" Bars, or below,
it is difficult to tell how much e-fuel you have remaining.
The GID-Meter attempts to help answer that question.

Back