If I had the chance to do it all again!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boyodublin

If I had the chance to do it all again!

I’m asking myself now that if I had the chance to do it all again, would I still go ahead and reserve and order an EV with Nissan?
My answer right now, unfortunately, is a resounding NO!!
I am only hanging in there because of all that I’ve been put through and the fact that the charger is already installed, etc.

My story:
I’ve had Vin # 1873 for 8 weeks now, and the car has been on HOLD at the LA Port for 8+ weeks. Many cars that were reserved and ordered months after mine, are already delivered. I’m honestly happy for these customers and wish them all the best with their new EVs. My Dashboard has been stuck on 4/22 for 7 weeks now, but still no car!
Me: Supervisor Keith said the car would be released clean of the pollen and released yesterday??
Nissan CS: Thanks for your patience Mr. ___, from what I see is that your vehicle is still at port and is waiting to do shipped.
Me: What exactly is it waiting for??
Nissan CS: Its waiting to be shipped to your prefered dealer.
Me: Is the pollen off and the accessories on?
Nissan CS: Yes from what I see Mr. ___ the pollen is off the vehicle and the accessories are on.

“This unit is still on hold at the port because of the pollen issue. There are about 30 units that still need to be addressed and this is one of them. The commitment, as I understood it, was that all the vehicles affected would be completed and shipped the “week” of the 16th, not delivered to the dealer on the 16th. Let me know if you have any further questions.”

Sincerely,
Kyle B. Lentz
Nissan North America
Electric Vehicle Operations Manager - West Region South

“As we discussed on the telephone, your vehicle needs to have the pollen cleaned from
its exterior. The target date for completion is Wednesday, May 25th. The accessory that
your vehicle needs is in stock at the LA port and it will be installed. The dealer is in the LA area so the ETA at the dealership is the week of June 6th.”

So, it’s upsetting and disappointing that Nissan hasn’t been able to clean and release these “30” remaining vehicles in a more timely manner, and that it will take approximately another 3 weeks (week of June 6th!) to do so! It's also upsetting and disappointing that I've been told on more than 3 or 4 occasions over these past few weeks that the car had the accessories installed, and would be released in a "few days," only to hear today "again" that the accessories are not installed and Pollen not removed and that it will take another 3 weeks for delivery!

Now I’m asking, is this really just a “Pollen” problem, or something more systemic? It bodes very badly that Nissan Corporation, with all of its power and money, can’t get their act together enough to clean 30 vehicles and release them to us "passed over folks." We played by all the rules, and have been treated very badly by Nissan. Some of us are very upset, especially because this further delay may cause us to likely miss out on the California rebate. I reserved on the first day so that I could have an opportunity to access this, but Nissan has most likely messed that opportunity up for me!

I only pray that you all have a much better delivery experience than this, but really fear for your experience and possible expectations!
Thank you for letting me vent, and if any Nissan Executives see this posting, please do something about it already and give me a call at home when done! HA!

boyodublin said:
I’m asking myself now that if I had the chance to do it all again, would I still go ahead and reserve and order an EV with Nissan?
My answer right now, unfortunately, is a resounding NO!!
And what would your alternative be? Not buy an electric vechicle? I won't even have the chance to order for quite a while yet; at least you've ordered. How is your situation worse than mine? Should I cancel my reservation because of the long wait ahead of me? I understand you're frustrated at the delay, but let me point out there are many of us who would gladly trade places with you.

lol, add all of that to "no VIN yet" -- and you've got my situation :) same date ordered, but still stuck at Month of June.

Nissan has put me through much the same thing and my answer would be NO I wouldn't have bought a LEAF if I had known what to expect. I plan to sell the car as soon as it gets here and put my name on the Tesla Sedan waiting list. I have other issues with Nissan unrelated to the LEAf experience but equally as frustrating. I wont be buying another Nissan car again.

onlyjaymoo said:
lol, add all of that to "no VIN yet" -- and you've got my situation :) same date ordered, but still stuck at Month of June.
Well try this. Ive had a vin for a couple months and my delivery date just shot up to week of June 10th! It had been week of May 2nd. Nissan has lost a customer for life.

I just a freaking car guys.

Also - it's possible this pollen thing is pretty common with many car companies and one doesn't know about it because we're not waiting for cars to get out of a port.

Also - I'm sure the tsunami doesn't help.

I really do think that once we get our cars we'll forget all about this.

Before you jump down my throat - I'm a 4/22 er waiting like all the rest of you.

cdub said:
I just a freaking car guys.

Also - it's possible this pollen thing is pretty common with many car companies and one doesn't know about it because we're not waiting for cars to get out of a port.

Also - I'm sure the tsunami doesn't help.

I really do think that once we get our cars we'll forget all about this.

Before you jump down my throat - I'm a 4/22 er waiting like all the rest of you.
You have more patience than me.lol Hope you enjoy your car. What really set me off is what Nissan is doing to repeal civil rights laws in Tennessee for gay and lesbians but thats another subject. Add that to the delivery delays and I'm done with Nissan

healy100 said:
What really set me off is what Nissan is doing to repeal civil rights laws in Tennessee for gay and lesbians but thats another subject. Add that to the delivery delays and I'm done with Nissan

huh?

cdub said:
healy100 said:
What really set me off is what Nissan is doing to repeal civil rights laws in Tennessee for gay and lesbians but thats another subject. Add that to the delivery delays and I'm done with Nissan

huh?
http://gay.americablog.com/2011/05/nissan-comcast-fedex-at-on-verge-of.html

healy100 said:
cdub said:
healy100 said:

huh?
If you believe Nissan is behind this law, then why are you still crabbing about not getting your car? I would think you'd be grateful you hadn't bought one, yet. Why haven't you punched the "cancel" button and sent an email to Nissan telling them why?

healy100 said:
cdub said:
healy100 said:

huh?
Well, Nissan isn't a union shop either. All these companies opened the plants in southern states because they knew they can control the costs by treating the employees badly - whats new here ?

But, if we continue the way we are going with using oil, civil rights will be the first casualty - and thats for everyone.

ps : You should make your displeasure known to Nissan & others as much as possoble. That is the way to make them change their ways.

healy100 said:
That is very disturbing, indeed. Especially from a company that is trying to portray itself as being progressive. They certainly deserve to be called out on it.

Amary said:
healy100 said:
That is very disturbing, indeed. Especially from a company that is trying to portray itself as being progressive. They certainly deserve to be called out on it.
Agreed. i will be keeping an eye out on this.

I don't get this. I feel very lucky to have my Leaf (reserved 4/20, ordered 9/30, delivered 4/13) and absolutely love the car. I only drive 20-60 miles a day so it's got plenty of range for me. It took a lot longer than I expected to get it but I understand what caused the delays so I didn't let it bug me. I've been waiting years for a good EV, what's another year?

The only thing people who have reserved are out is a little bit of interest on the $99 deposit, why so much hate? Any time you decide you can cancel your order and get it back, if you're not happy waiting why not move on? What's the point in taking delivery and immediately selling it - doesn't that just flush the federal tax credit?

This explains why my great grandad never got the Model T he ordered. You know how tenacious pollen can be!! :roll:

Here's hoping they take care of whatever is REALLY holding things up and you'll feel a lot better about your choice.

If I had the chance to do it all again, I would.

I was so disappointed that I had NO shot at an EV1, that when the Leaf came along, I jumped on it. I knew that this was the roll out of a new car and I expected that there will be delays and unforseen problems.

What I didn't expect is a mysterious "on hold" that is well outside of reasonable. I know a bit about bodywork and I know that everytime they buff, polish, or rub agressively, small amounts of the finish are worn away. There is only so much of that before you go thru. I really want to know what they found and how they are treating it.

I planned to keep this car for 8 or more years, and I like to keep the finish shiney. But, if then ened up getting agressive on the paint, it may not have the lengevity I want. If only I could find out the real story. If only my car went thru the process just like most of the others.

I was solidly in the purchase camp until last month. Now its looking more and more like there is "something" wrong with my car and I hope that it will show up during a lease. I am viewing a lease as a 3 year test drive before I decide to keep it longer.

Even if it does show trouble and I give it back after 3 years, I would still go thru all this again. The delay in ordering, the delay in production while it was shifted to Japan, the delay at the port, the expected delay in the service department while as yet unknown problems are worked on. I'll take it all in exchange for making up on having no chance at the EV1.

Sure, there a lot of practical reasons to buy the Leaf (lower cost per mile, not sending gas money to countries that hate us, being in total control of my transportation costs, zillions of ways to make electrictiy, but few ways to make gas), but the one that really counts is the emotional one of an opportunity that I never had.

healy100 said:
cdub said:
healy100 said:

huh?

If this is true and Nissan supports this it is pretty bad.

boyodublin said:
Thursday's response from the EV Western Regions EV Operations Manager after no sign of the car being delivered on Tuesday:
And finally, today’s wonderful news from Keith, Nissan CS supervisor, emailed to me a few minutes ago after we had a conversation by telephone:
How did you open up communication with people actually at Nissan? I had a first week of May delivery estimate be pushed to end of May which looks like is not going to happen. I've been told by CS that it was ready and just waiting to be shipped but now that its been 3 weeks they say it's still at the port and they don't know why.

All I want from Nissan is to keep us up to date with the latest information. For example if my car is still at the port and it takes 2 to 3 weeks to get here then there is no way it is going to be delivered the week of May 27th so update that date and let me know why it's not leaving the port. The same thing happened with the May 5th week of date. May 4th I got an email saying my Leaf was coming soon... Then May 5th I get an email saying it's not and the date was updated to May 27th. If it takes 2 to 3 weeks to get from the port to here then at least a week prior to May 5th Nissan knew that date was not going to happen since it had not left the port and should have provided me with that information.

Back