ICED - Images of Offending Vehicles Board of Shame

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of two spots painted green for a solitary charger, one was ICED, the other occupied by an unplugged Model S.

BYCDyUf.jpg

Did I stumble across a new breed, a plug-in version of the Honda Accent?

BK8FZbr.jpg

Nope, no apparent connection between the vehicle and the charging station. However, congrats to the owner for finding a primo parking spot.

GNoObjW.jpg

All they had to do, if they wanted to park like that, was park in the wall space, partway into the other one. It would have been no problem in all likelihood...

In the case of the Volt, I'd be slow to pass judgement unless I actually saw them park. I know in many cases I've pulled into places like that and everyone else was parked so badly that was my only option to park over the line. But when I return to my car, everyone else is gone and it appears as if I was just very bad at parking.

I really regret I didn't get a picture of this: in SF yesterday the parking lot was totally full because of the America's Cup race. There are two EV spots and they were both full: one by a legit Tesla charging and the other by a BMW M6 convertible with a handicapped tag. All of the handicapped spots were also full so I guess the guy figured he'd take the next closest spot. The EV spots are actually closer than the handicapped spots.

EV owners that were trying to get that spot were fuming. The business owner called the park cops who issues the BMW a ticket.

If all handicapped spots are full is it ok for them to use an EV spot? I'd say no: park illegally (but not dangerously) somewhere with the handicapped tag before blocking an EV spot. They could have done this. But they still would have gotten a ticket probably.

mwalsh said:
That third space looks like a half-space for motorcycles/scooters. Plus those look like really narrow spaces to begin with. Hate those!
No. It's parking French-style...

Nope, in California at least, a handicap placard does not allow parking where it would otherwise be illegal (a red zone or street sweeping time, for example)...

kevinleaf said:
If all handicapped spots are full is it ok for them to use an EV spot?

TomT said:
Nope, in California at least, a handicap placard does not allow parking where it would otherwise be illegal (a red zone or street sweeping time, for example)...

kevinleaf said:
If all handicapped spots are full is it ok for them to use an EV spot?
Same in WA, as I understand the recently adopted restrictions on parking in properly marked EV parking spots.

In WA, if it is "no parking", it is no parking.

adric22 said:
In the case of the Volt, I'd be slow to pass judgement unless I actually saw them park. I know in many cases I've pulled into places like that and everyone else was parked so badly that was my only option to park over the line. But when I return to my car, everyone else is gone and it appears as if I was just very bad at parking.

This is a good point, but if a vehicle had been impeding him the the left, he couldn't have sloppily left part of the cord in the space to the left.

I just posted the photo for kicks, I'm not passing judgement. Though spots are very underused, so it's natural for people to park in a hurry and not worry about freeing up the maximum amount of room for other EV's.

LA DWP HQ at 1st/Hope. Except for my Leaf at the left, every car in this pic is in front of a charging station. How many of them are actual EVs or even PHEVs?

My Leaf is in a diagonal-striped area which is technically not a parking spot. But it isn't posted as such, just like the spots with the EVSEs aren't posted either, so I parked here. I used the EVSE (Clipper Creek) from in front of the Corolla since it obviously wasn't using it. But because it's technically not a space I don't want to walk away from it, so I'm stuck here for now. Good thing I brought the iPad.

That Tesla about 3 spaces over? Not long after I got here, I saw a woman unplug it and wrap the cord up the way it should be. Great! I'll move over to that space and walk around downtown for a while. My hopes were dashed when she walked back into the building, leaving the car there.

7D9C593D-BDA1-444E-B51D-CE2C548E7F13-1545-0000040BB4A76089_zps7b6bc086.jpg

Berlino said:
RonDawg said:
You mean an EV converted Corolla? I doubt it, as I can still see its tailpipe.
Must not be, but is the cord so short that you couldn't use "his" charging station?
RonDawg specifically said that he did use the EVSE in front of the Corolla. The only problem was that the spot he was in isn't a parking spot, so he didn't feel that he could leave his car unattended.

Personally, I would have confronted the Tesla owner who unplugged and left her car there.

davewill said:
Berlino said:
RonDawg said:
You mean an EV converted Corolla? I doubt it, as I can still see its tailpipe.
Must not be, but is the cord so short that you couldn't use "his" charging station?
RonDawg specifically said that he did use the EVSE in front of the Corolla. The only problem was that the spot he was in isn't a parking spot, so he didn't feel that he could leave his car unattended.

Personally, I would have confronted the Tesla owner who unplugged and left her car there.

Surely, if there were any open spots nearby I would have tried to explain my plight and asked if she could do me a favor by moving. She should have done so anyway so I wouldn't feel awkward asking.

davewill said:
RonDawg specifically said that he did use the EVSE in front of the Corolla.

Indeed he did. I need to take reading comprehension lessons, sorry about that.

I'm with you, I definitely would have approached the Tesla driver.

Back