I was quoted $199 and $329 for 12 month service at Boardwalk

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Randy said:
Instead of contacting the dealer and asking them to schedule your "one year service", which will include a lot of items you may or may not want or need, look in the LEAF maintenance guide and see what is recommended for both the "severe" and "normal" schedules.
I did try to do that when I called and talked to the service schedule guy over the phone. In fact when I called he told me he did not have the Leaf maintenance schedule handy and would call me right back with the price which he did. I then asked specifically what was covered for those prices and he essentially read back to me the copy from the maintenance guide verbatim. $199 and add $129.99 for brake fluid change. I did ask for a cost breakdown of the prices at the time but he said he did not have those in front of him at which point I told him it was ok and I would just do the tire rotation and cabin filter myself and call next week to schedule the complimentary annual inspection.

Perhaps they did pad out the price with unneeded things but at that point I had already made up my mind to do most of the maintenance myself. Its not like I planned to pay anyone for a tire rotation and cabin filter change in the first place as I was only curious what they were going to charge me. I mean if they told me the first service is free or something along those lines I would have just let them do the tire rotation and check the cabin filter but alas.

1) dont pay them any money
2) changing brake fluid after a year and 7500 miles on a car that reduces the need for friction brakes?? no comment on that!!
3) finally, the cabin air filter should be replaced and replaced OFTEN.

this is the air you breathe. clogging it reduces the efficiency of A/C and heat. FYI; no matter how dirty the intake side is, it should not affect its ability to filter

some areas its highly recommended the cabin filter be replaced every 6 months due to high pollen count like my area.

recommendations

1) review point 1 above

2) go online, buy a few cabin filters. save on shipping. i got a "3 pack" of Prius filters. difference in shipping from one to 3? ZERO.

3) most of the filters are washable. rinse them off real good and let them air dry. that way, the same 3 pack can last years. (i change my filter every 6 months and they ALWAYS look filthy) My Prius filters have all been used at least once. eventually, i will need to buy another 3 pack. but the filter replacement was something like $55 thru the dealer. cost of the 3 pack PLUS shipping...umm forgot...i think it was about $35 or so?

Now if I can only figure out how to release those cabin air filter clips through the glove box door I'll be all set!

I saw and read the other posts don't they were really not much help to me. I am thinking I may remove the glove box altogether the first time in order to get a better look and access to the clips like myleaf did. I find it interesting that Nissan seemed to make it easier to get to the filter cover by putting the little door in the glove box but made the clips very difficult to get to and release. Its like Nissan made the clips difficult to release deliberately!

Spies said:
Now if I can only figure out how to release those cabin air filter clips through the glove box door I'll be all set!

I saw and read the other posts don't they were really not much help to me. I am thinking I may remove the glove box altogether the first time in order to get a better look and access to the clips like myleaf did. I find it interesting that Nissan seemed to make it easier to get to the filter cover by putting the little door in the glove box but made the clips very difficult to get to and release. Its like Nissan made the clips difficult to release deliberately!

Some of these OEM filters have after market alternatives which are "charcoal activated", assuming the Leaf's isn't.

http://www.boschautoparts.com/filters/Pages/ActivatedCharcoalFilters.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: Looks like the Nissan Leaf's p/n ( B7891-1FC0A from the prius88 pics) shares with the Nissan Cube and it's charcoal activated..

http://www.leeparts.com/nissan_cube/accessories/interior/in_cabin_micro_filter.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just called the other Nissan dealer that is close to me, Nissan of Burlingame, to ask if they were prepared to do the complementary annual inspection on my Nissan Leaf. Aldo on the phone said they were prepared and it takes about an hour to preform but its not complementary and costs $49.99. Perplexed I said that I only wanted the inspection with no additional services and the Nissan Leaf service and maintenance guide states that the 12 month and 24 month are no charge to the customer. He simply responded by saying that the $49.99 only covers the inspection and its not complementary. I did not want to argue with the guy so I simply thanked him for his time.

I then put a call in with Boardwalk Nissan again to see if they are also going to charge me for just the inspection. I am waiting for a call back.

Spies said:
I just called the other Nissan dealer that is close to me, Nissan of Burlingame, to ask if they were prepared to do the complementary annual inspection on my Nissan Leaf. Aldo on the phone said they were prepared and it takes about an hour to preform but its not complementary and costs $49.99. Perplexed I said that I only wanted the inspection with no additional services and the Nissan Leaf service and maintenance guide states that the 12 month and 24 month are no charge to the customer. He simply responded by saying that the $49.99 only covers the inspection and its not complementary. I did not want to argue with the guy so I simply thanked him for his time.

I then put a call in with Boardwalk Nissan again to see if they are also going to charge me for just the inspection. I am waiting for a call back.
I wonder if they're thinking about a complete inspection of everything, in which the complementary battery inspection is part of it. If they agree with this clarification, then maybe you can ask them to just specifically do the complementary battery inspection only and not do a general inspection of any other kind.

You can get a higher quality filter than the Nissan version for about 15 bucks in the aftermarket (about 6 bucks for a version that is the same as the OEM), and change it in three minutes yourself... The dealer is simply raping and pillaging at those parts and service prices...

Spies said:
Boardwalk Nissan parts quoted me $42 for the cabin filter for those that want to know.

Volusiano said:
I wonder if they're thinking about a complete inspection of everything, in which the complementary battery inspection is part of it.
Perhaps they are but still I thought I was pretty clear I was only interested in the EV Battery Usage Report when I asked for further clarification.

What I also find interesting is that on page 11 of the service and maintenance guide it also states the availability of a complimentary multi-point inspection however there is a disclaimer that it is only available at participating Nissan Leaf certified dealers whoever they are.

Spies said:
Volusiano said:
I wonder if they're thinking about a complete inspection of everything, in which the complementary battery inspection is part of it.
Perhaps they are but still I thought I was pretty clear I was only interested in the EV Battery Usage Report when I asked for further clarification.

What I also find interesting is that on page 11 of the service and maintenance guide it also states the availability of a complimentary multi-point inspection however there is a disclaimer that it is only available at participating Nissan Leaf certified dealers whoever they are.

I'm taking mine in for the 12 month battery inspection and to fix my steering wheel alignment next Wednesday to Sunnyvale Nissan. I'll let you know what they say/quote.

So this time I got a call back from Chris at Boardwalk and he said that the service would normally be $89.95 but since this is the first one it was free. I did not even ask for clarification on the phone and just scheduled the service for this Thursday. Will report back after the service is complete.

Did the 1-year/15k yesterday.

A day earlier they quoted by phone: $99 for the brake-fluid flush, $98 for the cabin air filter. Free rotation (coupons from the dealership).

When I arrived I convinced them that our driving pattern fits the Schedule 2 category (check page 7 of the SMG), and that my son, to save money, will change his own filter. Thus no brake fluid flush this time (thus 1st one is at 30k miles). Complimentary Battery Check and Multi-point Inspection (check page 11 of the same manual -- and as pointed out here in an earlier post).

Cost out the door: $0.

:)

LEAFer-----

Which dealership did you go to for servicing?

We are at 14,300 and 2 1/2 months from the one year mark. I've rotated the tires twice myself. And, I don't plan on paying anything for the one year battery check(supposed to be free for 2 years at Boardwalk, Redwood City.)

gasmiser1 said:
LEAFer-----

Which dealership did you go to for servicing?

We are at 14,300 and 2 1/2 months from the one year mark. I've rotated the tires twice myself. And, I don't plan on paying anything for the one year battery check(supposed to be free for 2 years at Boardwalk, Redwood City.)

Nissan of Elk Grove -- probably too far for you unless you like adventure ;)

The Battery Check is complimentary at ANY LEAF-certified dealership for the first two years, and REQUIRED each 12 months IRRESPECTIVE of mileage. Which causes a dilemma with your mileage. Our battery check was 9 days early and the 15k was 237 miles "late" ... both of which are arguably "prefect" for being combined into a single visit.

I don't know if more than a month early (by the time you hit 15k) is "within spec" for Nissan's 12 month period. You might end up taking two separate visits. Let us know what you find out.

Spies said:
So this time I got a call back from Chris at Boardwalk and he said that the service would normally be $89.95 but since this is the first one it was free. I did not even ask for clarification on the phone and just scheduled the service for this Thursday. Will report back after the service is complete.
Is there an reason why a dealer would not do the complimentary battery check for free? Afterall, they are going to charge Nissan Corporate for the service performed.

Unless, those dealerships who wanted to charge for the battery service are thinking of double dipping -- charge you for the battery service, AS WELL AS bill Nissan Corporate for it.

I called "Nissan Customer Support" today to verify when I should bring in the LEAF. Phone rep named: Lindsey said, "the first battery check is done at the one year mark, regardless of mileage". (she said 15,000 miles isn't a set mark). Additionally, she said this was verified in several other calls by customers with her supervisor. The battery heath check is free for the first 2 years.

This info/conversation was put into my Nissan file for records. Based on our current usage, we will be past the 15,000 mileage mark by the one year anniversary of LEAF ownership. (estimate 1 year mileage to be approx. 18-19,000 miles)

So then, I called Boardwalk, to double check this new found info. The service department operator said 15,000 miles is the set point for the battery health check.

Now I'm confused. :? Do I take the car in at 15,000 miles, or do I wait until the one year point for the battery health check appointment :roll: (or a few days prior)???

LEAFer said:
A day earlier they quoted by phone: $99 for the brake-fluid flush, $98 for the cabin air filter. Free rotation (coupons from the dealership).

When I arrived I convinced them that our driving pattern fits the Schedule 2 category (check page 7 of the SMG), and that my son, to save money, will change his own filter. Thus no brake fluid flush this time (thus 1st one is at 30k miles). Complimentary Battery Check and Multi-point Inspection (check page 11 of the same manual -- and as pointed out here in an earlier post).

Seems like that quote for the brake fluid change is much better than the quote for the air filter. I would think the brake fluid could take a few hours.. while the filter change is less than 10 minutes I bet. If I could get the brake fluid done for $99 I might jump at that (when it's actually time to change the fluid).

-Peter

I'm under the impression changing/flushing the brake fluid in cars every three years is a good thing to do... that the fluid absorbs moisture and that's bad for the system. The fact the car has regenerative braking would not mitigate this. $89 seems to be the going rate from my experience, maybe that's a ripoff, but dealers have to make money too.

prberg said:
Seems like that quote for the brake fluid change is much better than the quote for the air filter. I would think the brake fluid could take a few hours.. while the filter change is less than 10 minutes I bet. If I could get the brake fluid done for $99 I might jump at that (when it's actually time to change the fluid).

-Peter
True ... but the filter is quoted by the parts dept. as $40.95; (then add a little labor). While the brake fluid is probably much cheaper, but more in labor time (as you guessed)

gasmiser1 said:
So then, I called Boardwalk, to double check this new found info. The service department operator said 15,000 miles is the set point for the battery health check.

Now I'm confused. :? Do I take the car in at 15,000 miles, or do I wait until the one year point for the battery health check appointment :roll: (or a few days prior)???
Go with CS advice ... and the manual ... not the verbal from Boardwalk. Although you might notice that the battery check is indeed listed on the 15k miles page, but has a foot-note; Boardwalk service dept. may have overlooked the footnote:
<This check must be performed based solely on the number of service months, not mileage>
leafsmgpage15.jpg

No way. I can do it in 30 minutes, a professional mechanic should be able to do it in half that.

It would be interesting to know what "the book" (I don't know the proper name for it) says. You are charged, and the mechanic is paid, for the amount of time that the book says the job should take. A good mechanic makes out by being able to do a job faster than the book says it should take. Conversely, if there's something that causes a job to take longer than the book says it should - like frozen bolts, or in this case frozen bleeder nipples - the mechanic gets screwed.
prberg said:
I would think the brake fluid could take a few hours..

Back