I have not been to a gas station in over a year now..

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark13

We bought the Leaf last May and I remember filling up my Miata that month..I started driving the Miata a few miles every other week,but now its been months since i have even started it...Should i worry about the gas in the tank..The battery died,ill need to see if I can charge it and get the car running again for emissions..

I just love the Leaf so much ...I do not want to drive a ICE car again....Gas is just to expensive...How do they enjoy driving cars in Europe where gas is twice as high..

Yeah my Prius sits now too. But I do give it a run to the recycle drop off every now and then to keep it "alive".

mark13 said:
We bought the Leaf last May and I remember filling up my Miata that month...
adric22 said:
Count me in.. Its been a year since I bought gas also. Haven't missed it.
Wow! I'm thoroughly impressed! We have our LEAF now, but I cannot yet foresee the day when I do not buy any gas. I must say that I cringe every time I have to go to the gas station these days...

mark13 said:
We bought the Leaf last May and I remember filling up my Miata that month..I started driving the Miata a few miles every other week,but now its been months since i have even started it...Should i worry about the gas in the tank..The battery died,ill need to see if I can charge it and get the car running again for emissions..

I just love the Leaf so much ...I do not want to drive a ICE car again....Gas is just to expensive...How do they enjoy driving cars in Europe where gas is twice as high..

As we also own a Miata that gets stored winters on your gas question ... unfortunately the new gas blends go 'stale' faster than the old stuff so we always put stabilizer in as well as a full tank to prevent issues in the spring, making sure we run the car so it gets through to the injectors, etc. we also run a battery tender so you don't have a flat battery after storage --- unfortunately, for you this is after the fact so you should jump start the car and try to run the old gas through if you plan to just park it and start that process for its extended 'rest'. As we're a multi-car, multi-driver family none of our cars is permanently parked but the biggest gas user is used quite less than in the past -- I take it for at least one drive every 3 weeks otherwise its battery will go flat (this warning is in the owner's manual). Our gas bill has dropped a lot as the other cars get much better mileage but just like with the Volt users who may go several weeks w/o any gas, they need to run the engine otherwise will see trouble down the road. It almost sounds like you can do without it which would be a good thing ... just like others have said, 95 to 99% of many uses, the LEAF's range is fine; if you find the ICE isn't really needed time to sell and just rent when you need to go longer ...

What is a gas station?? Have not heard of one in months since I got my 2011 SL Chili. lol

Someone please take a picture of that "dinosaur" and post.

Ian B

my version of the joy of this was the visual from our credit card statement that is used for gas when I compiled data for our taxes from 2011.
my last gas purchase on my amex card was in april of 2011.
right next to it on the same statement is another $220 a month on my wife's half of the card.
the gasoline bills just stopped. stopped. nothing.

and it continues every month.
over five years, of the price doesnt go down that would be:

60 x $220 = $13,200

so my car cost me, including taxes, about 10k.

I still have had to pump gas a couple of times on long-distance trips. It really is a distasteful experience on multiple levels.

That's excellent, congratulations. :)

I'm approaching 2 months since going to a gas station. My last fill up was for the 4Runner a couple of days before getting the LEAF. As it's used primarily on the weekends for light recreational purposes, it still has at least half a tank left. I dread the day I have to go back and fill it up... unfortunately I'll never make it to a year without doing so. :cry:

In the 6 months prior to getting the LEAF, we spent an average of $318/month on gas for 2 cars. Since then we've been on track to average about $100/month (my poor wife still has to fill up the hybrid every now and then). Not too bad!

I can safely say 'I' haven't put gas in any cars since jan 2012. I had to drive the ice a few times and have my wife fill it up!

Regarding your Miata....let me preface this with I'm a history major and despite my IT job I'm not a real electron pusher and cars are push pedal...move fast...

When I was in the military I had to draw a new tank from stocks. Well, new to me. It had been sitting outside for 2.5 years. The diesel fuel in the tank had algae growing in it. We went through three fuel filters in the course of a weekend getting it cleaned out.

This may be a warning to those who leave cars idle for a time or it might have been just my luck but be careful.

I've been at the gas pump perhaps 5 times for the past year to fill up my wife's car... and gas dependency isn't going away for a while for families with 2+ car households.

I just had to put $60+ of gas into my spare ICE yesterday. Prior to that, it's been several months. I ask my wife to drive my spare ICE couple of times per week to keep it from rusting out. One thing in particular, I noticed that brakes get covered with rust if the car is not driven regularly.

I haven't had my LEAF for a year yet but I haven't had to pump gas since I got it in September. My wife drives our Prius so she still has to go through the pain at the pump.

I just put 7,500 miles on it so I took it to Les Schwab for a tire rotation and they didn't even charge me anything! I'm liking this car!! :D

I haven't really used one since last June except for once when I filled up my wife's car and another when I was in a rental.

I LOVE my Leaf. I'm going to keep it as long as I can... it's all paid off too. woot woot. I'm looking forward to 10+ years of "hopefully" maintenance free driving.

Back