I Beat EPA's 73 Mile Range : Report your experience

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
hellraiser79 said:
Ive never been to California so i cant comment on weather, hills etc. out there. But here in New Jersey, ive got over 100 miles per charge everytime ive tried including the first day with the car. I think some of you may need to slowdown, my Leaf scoots along at a max of 55mph with the cruise on which just happens to be the speed limit here in new jersey. remember guys, that posted speed limit is a maximum speed not minimum speed, so get in the right lane, set the cruise and relax, forget about the cars behind you. I guess it helps that ive had 2 previous electric cars as well.

Third, we know precisely the speeds required to make the 100 mile distance.

Actually, you don't take into account an actual trip. An actual trip isn't resetting the meter just as you get on the freeway. You really need to count from starting point to destination. By using a realistic trip, a driver can exceed your mileage chart. All it takes is a little driving efficiency. I have always exceeded your m/kW h from your chart (including hwy speeds), but it probably is fairly accurate for 'regular' drivers. For instance, a typical 38 mile trip , all but 3 miles at 65mph, I was able to get 4.2m/kW h. It's very easy to up your range on the freeway just by putting it in 'R' in the exit lane and coasting a mile or so to the light.

LEAFfan said:
... but it probably is fairly accurate for 'regular' drivers. For instance, a typical 38 mile trip , all but 3 miles at 65mph, I was able to get 4.2m/kW h. It's very easy to up your range on the freeway just by putting it in 'R' in the exit lane and coasting a mile or so to the light.

Im confident that we've had this discussion many times. The chart does NOT include "coasting a mile or so to the light" anywhere. That's not "beating the chart"; that's driving differently than the stated parameters in the chart. It's not just the coasting; it's the fact that your speed is changing, and therefore wouldn't correspond to ANY speed on the chart.

The only two parameters offered are overall miles/kWh and a corresponding steady state speed on level, no wind, sea level, 70F roads.

We've discussed, at least once, how whatever driving you do in Phoenix will never be sea level. We've discussed how coasting is beneficial to increasing range, but is in fact a hyper-mileage technique, and does apply to a chart with simple fixed variables.

Finally, yes, the chart is slightly pessimistic, so I'm not surprised when folks get 4.0 or 4.1 at 60mph (vice 3.9). But, there is enough noise and averaging in the miles/kWh presented to the driver to make this difficult to get exact every time.

LEAFscan should provide a more detailed and accurate data.

Wow, Tony Williams you really think you know it all. I ignore the guessometer, I reset my mileage on the trip meter every morning when I leave for work. Round trip for work is usually 70 miles or more and I do 30 to 40 when I get home. I never said that I go 55 all the time. I never exceed 55. Kinda hard to go 55 for 100 miles in nj, the state is only 70 miles wide. Like I said I had a mini e and a geo conversion that I built myself. My record in the Mini e was 147.3 miles at the 21st cac at penn state university. Look it up on Wikipedia if you need to. That was over 3 mountain ranges as well. You are welcome to come to this years competition and I'll show you over 100 miles all 3 days. You really should think before you open your mouth next time and Stick your foot in it.

hellraiser79 said:
Wow, Tony Williams you really think you know it all.... You are welcome to come to this years competition and I'll show you over 100 miles all 3 days. You really should think before you open your mouth next time and Stick your foot in it.

Woo Hoo!!!! Another one for the ignore list !!!

Adios.

TonyWilliams said:
hellraiser79 said:
Wow, Tony Williams you really think you know it all.... You are welcome to come to this years competition and I'll show you over 100 miles all 3 days. You really should think before you open your mouth next time and Stick your foot in it.

Woo Hoo!!!! Another one for the ignore list !!!

Adios.
Humbled when someone proves you wrong huh? I did 123 miles on one charge today just for you! As soon as I figure out how to post a pic i will if anyone needs to see it.
[/img]

I can now report that more than half of my LEAF's total miles (1,538 out of 2,995) have been achieved on single charges of more than 100 miles. :cool: That is 51.4% of my total driving over 4 months, all of it under what I call "normal" conditions of mostly city traffic with some periods of interstate driving. I do want to apologize to Tony and others I may have rubbed the wrong way with bragging about my miles-per-charge accomplishments. I recognize that I am nowhere near the top on miles-per-kWH, and I recognize that my driving conditions allow me to do things that those of you in hilly and cold areas cannot do. I just see myself as a soldier (maybe a Green Beret?) in the war on range anxiety. Let's all keep fighting together.

Had my longest one-way drive a few days ago, from Coral Gables to West Palm on I-95. 83 miles to free charge point chargers at Clematis Street garage. Then I drove all around Palm Beach until this (Friday) morning, when I went back to the garage to get a second charge while I was in trial at the courthouse nearby.

Note that I registered for (and received) my Chargepoint membership card, but could not find it this week. There is a toll-free number on the charging stations and you can call to request that the unit be activated even without the card.

I returned this evening 82 mile on that single charge, doing 60 mph on I-95 with the air conditioning on.

I got 99.7 miles out of my car last week, with a VLB warning. Half of the drive was at 60~65 and the rest was under 35 mph. I turned into our driveway just when the turtle came on.

N1ghtrider said:
LBW at 78 miles. No VLBW. Temp 78F. About 12 miles of each leg was on city streets, with 70 actual interstate miles each way. Dash shows 4.6 m/kWH; Carwings 4.7 for return leg.

Ok, you through me off with the 60mph speed, which you won't get 4.6miles/kWh. But, sure, for your combined average, that's about right.

4.6 * 21 = 96.6 miles total range

82.6% of 96.6 = 79.79 miles at VLB (you got at 78 miles)

Since you drove 82 miles, you had about 14 miles to go.

With ~2500 miles on the odometer, I am averaging 3.8 mi/kWh. I do a lot of high acceleration; I can't resist showing up young guys in their fancy gasoline cars! (I am 76.5 years old.) Yesterday a young guy in a Nissan 350z tried to beat me and failed.

I often use ECO mode for long trips.

I really get aggravated when I have to drive a noisy, low-acceleration gasoline car!

I'm going to GUESS this thought I'm having will fall within the purview of the OP. 73 Mile Range - It dawned on me that with 'expected' range loss over the life of the pack, I wonder WHY didn't EPA plan for that event by putting average numbers into their EPA window stickers. IOW, if owners can expect (for example) to be down at least 20% capacity when they hit mile 'X' ... then why wouldn't EPA flesh out that point. It seems obvious now (what with Arizona owners rightly airing their issues) that "non-new" info would be helpful in owner/buying decisions - but most aren't so forward thinking to try to put an average number on range when you have 3, 4, or 5 years worht of miles on the odometer.

Because the EPA only reports what exists at the time of their certification of a vehicle, regardless of the type. They aren't in the crystal ball business. There are simply too many variables.

hill said:
I'm going to GUESS this thought I'm having will fall within the purview of the OP. 73 Mile Range - It dawned on me that with 'expected' range loss over the life of the pack, I wonder WHY didn't EPA plan for that event by putting average numbers into their EPA window stickers. IOW, if owners can expect (for example) to be down at least 20% capacity when they hit mile 'X' ... then why wouldn't EPA flesh out that point. It seems obvious now (what with Arizona owners rightly airing their issues) that "non-new" info would be helpful in owner/buying decisions - but most aren't so forward thinking to try to put an average number on range when you have 3, 4, or 5 years worht of miles on the odometer.

TomT said:
Because the EPA only reports what exists at the time of their certification of a vehicle, regardless of the type. They aren't in the crystal ball business. There are simply too many variables.

hill said:
Tom, there's no crystal ball needed. All EPA has to do is add some print on the Monroney along this line:

"All batteries lose capacity as they age. The rate that capacity is lost is affected by a variety of factors, including but not limited to how deeply you discharge your battery between charges, the number of charge cycles, the rate at which you charge, ambient temperature conditions and driving habits. Consult your owner's manual for more details on how to make your battery last longer.

"Vehicle batteries are generally considered at the end of their useful lives when they have lost 20%-30% of their original capacity. When the battery capacity has decreased by 20% (80% of original capacity remaining), the EPA range given above will decrease to 'XX' miles [in this case, 58] under the same conditions. When the battery capacity has decreased by 30% (70% of original capacity remaining), the EPA range given above will fall to 'YY' miles [51 miles in this case]."

Simple, and gives the public the same info that someone with more experience working with storage batteries routinely takes into account when deciding what size battery pack is needed. Or they could just put EPA range at 80%/70% (and maybe 75%) capacity on the sticker, and keep all the fine print in the owner's manual. The important thing is to make the public aware that range when the battery is new should not be used when calculating whether a BEV has adequate range for your needs.

Personally, I think they shouldn't even put the range while new on the sticker, only the range at the end of life. No one complains if the EPA ratings are too conservative, only if they're too liberal. When they're too conservative they will be pleasantly surprised that they can go further, if not bragging about how much better they're able to do (c.f. threads about 100 mile/200 km Club and this one). I don't recall any threads where anyone brags about how few miles/kWh they get.

Edit: Added a bit.

GRA said:
... Personally, I think they shouldn't even put the range while new on the sticker, only the range at the end of life. ...
The problem being that the EPA has no way to test the car a determine what the range will be at "end of life". Sure you could simply assume that 70% of life when new is "end of life", but is that true of a 300 mile EV? Or is it still "good" until half is gone? More?

Back