I Beat EPA's 73 Mile Range : Report your experience

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, new leaf owner. I been able to get 4.5miles/kwh but I see some here with 5 and 6 miles/kwh!
I had to be sure not to use AC for the most part, use no more than 10 to 15kw takeoffs, keep below 60mph, stay in the right lane not to get run over, and look ahead to try to coast or slow regen to a stop. So, what technique am I missing to get even higher as obviousily some Gurus here have been able to do? Teach me ol'wise ones. ;)

You are doing everything right. The fine points are when you turn on your current energy consumption meter on Carwings, educate your accelerator foot to keep the green reading floating between 6 and 8 m/kwh.

1254milesonsinglecharge.jpg

2094kilometersonsinglecharge.jpg

Nothing to write home about, but this 102 miles on a single charge was somewhat unusual for me due to the fact that almost half of those miles were on the interstate and a lot was with climate control, due to the record high temps in Miami last week (highs of 87 and 88F most of the week).

I hit low batt warning at 92.3. Carwings shows 5.8m/kWh for this charge.

102milesonsinglecharge.jpg

My latest 100 mile-plus achievement took me 4 days, commuting 10 miles each way to work and then with various errands througout the week. I am not going to plug in the charger when I have several bars left unless I have a long trip planned for the next day.

2012-03-02225342.jpg

This 105 miles was mostly on city streets in Miami, with about 20 miles on I-95 at 55 mph or less (due to traffic), in temps of 73-78 with climate control only on for about 30 miles. Elevations are flat, but I do have a hard time finding parking in my garage at work below level 6, so that should could as a climb.

2012-03-02225426.jpg

Today I achieved 111.3 miles on a single charge for the 12th time of breaking the 100 mile barrier. I got 5.8 m/kWH on both dash and Carwings. Low bat at 91.8; Very Low Bat at 108.9 miles.

In the first 2,778 miles I have logged 1,330 miles while exceeding 100 miles per charge. That is 48% of my total mileage. I am shooting for exceeding 100 miles per charge for 50% of my driving.

110milesonsinglecharge.jpg

My 13th time to achieve more than 100 miles per charge at 107.3 miles 6.0 m/kWH carwings. Low bat at 96 miles; no VLB. That makes 1,437 miles out of the first 2,894 at more than 100 miles per charge (49.7% of driving, so I failed at achieving 100+ miles per charge "most"of the time).

2012-04-11202118191.jpg

2012-04-11202120591.jpg

jakswa said:
Last weekend I did a 450 mile trip, and beat the EPA estimate about four times in 2 days. I pretty much drove 40mph the whole trip, to maximize efficiency and minimize my charging time needed, so it was painful, but I definitely got to see the range capabilities of the Leaf in rolling terrain and on the interstate here in Georgia.
Congrats. I would like to do OKC - Dallas but unfortunately there are no even L2 chargers along the way so pretty much still impossible. Same as you just for fun. Of course weather condition matter a lot but I did 100 miles within a day charging to 80% with 7 mkWh and that is huge confidence boost. I am really ready to test the limits

I didn't go all the way to 0 bars, but I drove 50 miles using only 6 bars, which is the best I've ever done. No Hwy or climate control, and speeds between 25-45. It took me probably 45 minutes longer then usual when using freeway. Can't say I would like to do this again though unless I absolutely have to.

Mission accomplished!!!! With some discipline, feathering gas, coasting, 57mph on highway and city drive got 109miles and as pulled into driveway the 3 --- light up. I am sure i still had a few miles left.

20120414_115432.jpg

Ian B

All of this shows just how silly and unrealistic Nissan's 100 mile range claim was!
MrIanB said:
Mission accomplished!!!! With some discipline, feathering gas, coasting, 57mph on highway and city drive got 109miles and as pulled into driveway the 3 --- light up. I am sure i still had a few miles left.

I've never felt the need to test the range, since we have an ICE car for longer trips, but today I needed to go to San Martin, a distance of 36.7 mi. according to Google Maps. The R/T was so close to the official range I decided to use this as a real world test. I charged to 100% and did not use the A/C, but did have the fan on. Temperature was mild and the route was flat freeway the whole way. I drove regular freeway speed (65-68) in normal mode. When I got there I had six bars left. As soon as I left to come back it dropped to 5 bars. When I put home in as the destination it told me I wouldn't make it. I checked for nearby charging stations, but kept on my regular freeway route. The GOM continued to show insufficient miles left until it got down to the last bar. I did slow to around 58 - 60 MPH for the last 5 miles or so and that seemed to make the GOM happy as it did not drop as fast. I think I went about 7 miles from the point where it showed I only had 8 mi. left. I had 4 miles left showing when I arrived home, so it "used" 4 mi. of juice on the GOM to go 7 mi. I didn't check the odometer, but I took the exact route from Google Maps so I assume I went just over the 73 miles. It's nice to know I can make this trip as I will probably be doing it again. The advisories on this thread that the last bar has more than the rest seems to be true, but I was a little nervous about it since the software upgrade supposedly made it more accurate.

Rat said:
I've never felt the need to test the range, since we have an ICE car for longer trips, but today I needed to go to San Martin, a distance of 36.7 mi. according to Google Maps. The R/T was so close to the official range I decided to use this as a real world test. I charged to 100% and did not use the A/C, but did have the fan on. Temperature was mild and the route was flat freeway the whole way. I drove regular freeway speed (65-68) in normal mode. When I got there I had six bars left. As soon as I left to come back it dropped to 5 bars. When I put home in as the destination it told me I wouldn't make it. I checked for nearby charging stations, but kept on my regular freeway route. The GOM continued to show insufficient miles left until it got down to the last bar. I did slow to around 58 - 60 MPH for the last 5 miles or so and that seemed to make the GOM happy as it did not drop as fast. I think I went about 7 miles from the point where it showed I only had 8 mi. left. I had 4 miles left showing when I arrived home, so it "used" 4 mi. of juice on the GOM to go 7 mi. I didn't check the odometer, but I took the exact route from Google Maps so I assume I went just over the 73 miles. It's nice to know I can make this trip as I will probably be doing it again. The advisories on this thread that the last bar has more than the rest seems to be true, but I was a little nervous about it since the software upgrade supposedly made it more accurate.

How long did you stay at San Martin? If you were there very long even a 120 volt trickle charge might add enough juice that you could keep your speed up all the way home.

N1ghtrider said:
TomT said:
All of this shows just how silly and unrealistic Nissan's 100 mile range claim was!
I disagree that it is unrealistic. Almost 50% of my driving has been achieving more than 100 miles on single charges. It can be done consistently with normal city driving.

Sure, you come out to San Diego and show us how to do it. Please note, there are more LEAFs in our city than your state, by a factor of many. Not too many banging out 100 plus miles, including me.

There is a reason.

Herm said:
TonyWilliams said:
There is a reason.

You guys have to get the lead foot removed.. its a painless procedure

Tell, what mileage do Priuses get in your city?

I don't drive-a-Prius (TM), and don't know what they do. I have driven 100 miles in SoCal a few times. It ain't easy.

We have it pretty good for EVs with a mild climate, bit unlike south Florida, it can get cool and we have hills. Nothing is flat in San Diego.

Warm, flat places with peaceful two lane roads is "easy" for driving 100 miles. That's not here.

Ive never been to California so i cant comment on weather, hills etc. out there. But here in New Jersey, ive got over 100 miles per charge everytime ive tried including the first day with the car. I think some of you may need to slowdown, my Leaf scoots along at a max of 55mph with the cruise on which just happens to be the speed limit here in new jersey. remember guys, that posted speed limit is a maximum speed not minimum speed, so get in the right lane, set the cruise and relax, forget about the cars behind you. I guess it helps that ive had 2 previous electric cars as well.

hellraiser79 said:
Ive never been to California so i cant comment on weather, hills etc. out there. But here in New Jersey, ive got over 100 miles per charge everytime ive tried including the first day with the car. I think some of you may need to slowdown, my Leaf scoots along at a max of 55mph with the cruise on which just happens to be the speed limit here in new jersey. remember guys, that posted speed limit is a maximum speed not minimum speed, so get in the right lane, set the cruise and relax, forget about the cars behind you. I guess it helps that ive had 2 previous electric cars as well.

Three things: I'm going to guess you've never actually driven 100 miles (since you said every time), but instead are reading right off the GuessOmeter, just like this guy.

Second, driving at 55mph with or without cruise control will not get you 100 miles.

Third, we know precisely the speeds required to make the 100 mile distance.

Back