Hydrogen and FCEVs discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Via GCC:
$70M H2ME project launches in Europe to deploy 325 fuel cell vehicles and 29 refueling stations
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2015/09/20150924-h2me.html

A large coalition of European partners has launched the €63-million (US$70-million) project Hydrogen Mobility Europe (H2ME). H2ME is co-funded with €32 million (US$36 million) from the Fuel Cells and Hydrogen Joint Undertaking (FCH JU). The project will support the deployment of 325 Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles (FCEVs), including 125 fuel-cell range-extended electric vans, and 29 Hydrogen Refueling Stations (HRS) across Europe.

Together with the project HyFive, which started last year, H2ME complements the pre-existing plans for more than 50 stations, and will create a European network of at least 85 stations (the largest in the world).

H2ME is the largest European project of this nature and is based around an alliance of the four most ambitious hydrogen mobility initiatives in Europe: H2 MOBILITY Deutschland; Mobilité Hydrogène France; Scandinavian Hydrogen Highway Partnership; and UK H2 Mobility. These initiatives originally brought together the key stakeholders in the hydrogen sector (vehicle manufacturers, hydrogen refueling station providers and Government representatives), to study and to develop strategies to make hydrogen-fueled transport a reality in the respective regions.

Under H2ME, these initiatives will deploy 200 FCEVs, 125 fuel cell range-extended electric (FC RE-EVs) commercial vans and 29 new HRSs in 10 countries (Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Iceland, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and the UK) by 2019. This plan ties in with existing national level initiatives for the roll-out of a large scale hydrogen refueling infrastructure, aimed at enabling Europe wide emission-free driving.

The consortium, led by Element Energy, includes global leaders in the hydrogen and fuel cell sector, from fuel cells and car manufacturers (Daimler, SymbioFCell, Hyundai, Honda, Intelligent Energy, Nissan) and infrastructure providers (Air Liquide, BOC, H2Logic, ITM Power, Linde, McPhy, OMV, AREVA, EIFER, H2 MOBILITY Deutschland, HYOP, Icelandic New Energy, Communauté d’Agglomération Sarreguemines Confluences) to data monitoring and dissemination organisations (Cenex, WaterstofNet).

The original agreements for the project were signed in July this year and the project has already delivered the first vehicles to customers in France and Germany (Daimler, SymbioFCell).

Via ABG:
First Toyota Mirai hydrogen fuel cell crash in US? Uneventful (What Did You Expect?)
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/09/24/first-toyota-mirai-hydrogen-fuel-cell-crash-in-us-uneventful/

This past weekend, Xbox AOL Director Randy Shaffer got a chance to test drive a brand new Toyota Mirai. For the most part, the drive was uneventful. Towards the end, though, or what was going to be the end, before that end point was forcefully bumped up, the Mirai was involved in what we believe was the first Mirai accident in the US, perhaps the world. As you might suspect, the car survived just fine. . . .

". . . After reviewing everything about the car we were off on our ride around Huntington Beach. My brother and dad where behind me in the second Mirai and another couple behind them in the third. The Mirai felt good to drive and to me was a step up in comfort from my Toyota Prius Plug-in. We made one stop for the drivers from the other cars to switch and then we started heading back (in all, it was supposed to be a 15-20 minute test drive). Since it was just me in the first car I did not make the switch and lead the group.

We were heading down to the beach when it happened. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a black, '90s-era BMW 5 Series smash into my right rear-tire panel. The Toyota driver also saw it out of his eyes and was hoping she would just miss us. She had a stop sign but either didn't see me or was trying to shot the gap between me and the other Mirai. End result, at about 15 mph (best guess) she hit my Mirai right in-between the two Hydrogen tanks and directly into the main battery.

Completely not my fault and I was only hit at about 15 mph but it was an early 90's BMW 5 series so it still pushed me far.

Good news is it hit exactly were the hydrogen tanks are located and it didn't blow up. It's interesting though since they made the car so secure around the tanks instead of "absorbing" the crash I was pushed (the wheel is now a little bent underneath the car).

I have been in accidents before and the Mirai is made to be so tough around the tanks and battery that the car was "moved" intact. Nothing fell off the car and it felt like I was just in a normal accident in a normal car. To be honest, nothing really happened and it's what I expected. Now don't get me wrong. I had to get into another Mirai and the back wheel was bent under a little and the panels had a few dents. But, I didn't get hurt and the next day did a 60-mile bike ride. Plus, as a father with a 4-year-old whose car seat would have been right where I was hit I know he would have been completely safe in that accident."
There's a photo, too; the body damage looks pretty minor, so I wouldn't consider this a serious real-world test.

mbender said:
I just got the following email from CARB, in case anyone wants to rain on their parade:
We need rain. Looks like a real snore-fest though.
Maybe Tesla should have a couple of P90D's parked out front for test drives.
Offer a single bullet point slide: "Spotlight on 'Ludicrous' transportation".

Via GCC:
Ballard lands $17M deal for deployment of ~300 fuel cell buses in China; new 30 kW and 60 kW modules
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2015/09/20150926-ballard.html

Under a newly signed long-term license and supply agreement, Ballard Power Systems will supply Guangdong Synergy Hydrogen Power Technology Co., Ltd., an existing partner in China, fuel cell power products and technology in support of the planned deployment of approximately 300 fuel cell-powered buses in the cities of Foshan and Yunfu, China. . . .

Someone (RegGuheert?) started a BEV bus topic, IIRR. Do we want to make that a ZEV bus topic instead and move posts like this one there, keep this one for all H2/FCEV related stuff other than those threads for mass-produced FCEVs that have dedicated threads, or make a dedicated FCEV bus or maybe heavy FCEV vehicle thread? Personally, I lean towards all ZEV buses together so we have one place to look/compare data. I think the number of such buses of both types is reaching the point where they might benefit from such a thread.

I drove the Toyota at the Alt Expo and could not believe how much I disliked it... It combined everything I've always disliked about the Prius with a whole new raft of things to dislike (H2 availability, the horrendous compressor noise at full tilt, the glossy touch switches that GM learned to get rid of in the Gen 2 Volt, a lack of any real handling, the dash layout, etc.)...

RegGuheert said:
700 is not enough to see them "here and there." I've never seen a hydrogen-fueled vehicle outside of a car show.

TomT said:
RegGuheert said:
700 is not enough to see them "here and there." I've never seen a hydrogen-fueled vehicle outside of a car show.
I drove the Toyota at the Alt Expo and could not believe how much I disliked it... It combined everything I've always disliked about the Prius with a whole new raft of things to dislike (H2 availability, the horrendous compressor noise at full tilt, the glossy touch switches that GM learned to get rid of in the Gen 2 Volt, a lack of any real handling, the dash layout, etc.)...
Oh, man, I hate touch switches, and if it doesn't drive any better than a 2nd or 3rd gen Prius . . . (I thought the upcoming Prius was supposed to devote at least a little bit more attention to driving characteristics).

Tom, Could you expand a little bit on the compressor noise issues - was this just under full power or was it more speed dependent? The former wouldn't be a problem for anyone coming from an ICE, but if it's noisy at cruise . . . The C&D first drive review from last year seems to have had a very different experience than yours (maybe because they aren't normally driving a PEV), and had this to say:
For all of its newfangled technology, the Mirai drives no differently than a normal battery-electric vehicle, which is to say it feels heavy, synthetic, and utterly free of drama. On our brief drive opportunity in Newport Beach, California, we noted acceleration that starts out spry but drops off drastically as one approaches highway speeds. Toyota’s claim that the Mirai can hit 60 mph in nine seconds flat is entirely believable based on our short bursts of acceleration and our brief freeway hop, although we’ll have to take Toyota’s word that it can touch 111 mph, as we never saw more than 75. All the while, the powertrain is utterly silent save for some muted gear whine, which in turn makes other sources of sound, such as the tires on the pavement and even the HVAC system, seem louder. . . .

Like BEVs, fuel-cell vehicles are heavy, and the Mirai is said to weigh in at a hefty 4079 pounds—nearly 600 more than a dimensionally similar Camry hybrid—despite the use of carbon fiber for the storage tanks. At least the heaviest bits are mounted low and are spread out within the vehicle structure. While we didn’t push the car too hard, we didn’t notice obvious signs of extreme body roll. But we also didn’t feel much of anything happening where the rubber meets the road, so numbly tuned are the chassis and steering. On the plus side, the ride couldn’t be creamier if the shocks were filled with Cool Whip. We’ll need more time with the Mirai to conclusively determine its dynamic limits, but they’re probably pretty low.

See http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-toyota-mirai-hydrogen-fuel-cell-sedan-first-drive-review for the full article, and http://www.caranddriver.com/toyota/mirai for the most recent full test and review, where the handling seems to have been improved a bit from the test last year, but the car's quietness is again noted.

Via GCC:
Ballard signs $6M deal in China for fuel cell-powered trams; new 200 kW configuration
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2015/09/20150928-ballard.html

Ballard Power Systems has signed a joint development agreement and a supply agreement to develop and commercialize a fuel cell module specifically designed for integration into low floor trams manufactured by CRRC Qingdao Sifang Company, Ltd. (CRRC Sifang), a Chinese rolling stock manufacturer. The agreements include 2016 delivery of 10 customized FCvelocity modules and the agreements have an initial value expected to be approximately $6 million.

Ballard plans to develop a new prototype configuration of its FCvelocity fuel cell module to deliver 200 kilowatts (kW) of net power for use in powering trams in urban deployments. An initial deployment of 8 fuel cell-powered trams is planned by CRRC Sifang and the City of Foshan on the Gaoming Line starting in 2017.

CRRC Sifang, based in Qingdao, Shandong province, has a yearly production capacity of 200 high-speed electric multiple units (EMUs), 1,000 mass transit vehicles and 300 high-grade passenger cars. In March 2015, a Ballard fuel cell module powered the first hydrogen fuel cell powered fixed rail electric tram that was successfully demonstrated at a ceremonial event held at CRRC Sifang’s head office, production and testing facility.

GRA said:
TomT said:
Tom, Could you expand a little bit on the compressor noise issues - was this just under full power or was it more speed dependent? The former wouldn't be a problem for anyone coming from an ICE, but if it's noisy at cruise . . . The C&D first drive review from last year seems to have had a very different experience than yours (maybe because they aren't normally driving a PEV), and had this to say:....

Having just driven it this past weekend, I can confirm C&D's observation. This is not designed to be a sports car. It is designed to meet basic transportation needs in a super-environmentally friendly fashion - the comparison to a Prius is a good one. With that as the measuring stick, I liked it.

Driving it was extremely smooth. C&D's calling it creamy is appropriate. Again, it is not a sports car, so don't expect to 'feel' the road. This isn't a bad thing, but C&D staff is fond of exhilarating driving so I imagine they didn't really like it.

For the most part, the car was also very quiet, just like my Leaf. However, if you stomp on the accelerator, you get two things. 1) Not real good acceleration but suitable enough for city driving. 2) What I found to be a disconcerting whine.

On point 1 - The drive was in Santa Monica with the highest speed limit on the test route at 35mph. So I'm a bit worried about how it would do when needing to accelerate up a short on ramp and merge onto our LA area freeways. That is really the only time that lackluster acceleration is an issue for basic transportation. The Mirai would not be anyone's choice for a spirited romp through the canyons.

On point 2 - The whine was definitely quite noticeable. I don't know how it would do against my normal radio volume. We had the radio off as we were talking with the Tech throughout the drive. I'm guessing with music on, it wouldn't be an issue and no more of an issue than the noise from a normal ICE when accelerating hard. And I think I found it disconcerting only because I hadn't heard that type of noise from a car before and wasn't expecting it or know what it was. In normal driving (under 40mph), it was quiet. Someone else who got it to freeway cruising speed will need to chime in if it is still quiet at that speed.

DarthPuppy said:
GRA said:
TomT said:
Tom, Could you expand a little bit on the compressor noise issues - was this just under full power or was it more speed dependent? The former wouldn't be a problem for anyone coming from an ICE, but if it's noisy at cruise . . . The C&D first drive review from last year seems to have had a very different experience than yours (maybe because they aren't normally driving a PEV), and had this to say:....

Having just driven it this past weekend, I can confirm C&D's observation. This is not designed to be a sports car. It is designed to meet basic transportation needs in a super-environmentally friendly fashion - the comparison to a Prius is a good one. With that as the measuring stick, I liked it.

Driving it was extremely smooth. C&D's calling it creamy is appropriate. Again, it is not a sports car, so don't expect to 'feel' the road. This isn't a bad thing, but C&D staff is fond of exhilarating driving so I imagine they didn't really like it.

For the most part, the car was also very quiet, just like my Leaf. However, if you stomp on the accelerator, you get two things. 1) Not real good acceleration but suitable enough for city driving. 2) What I found to be a disconcerting whine.

On point 1 - The drive was in Santa Monica with the highest speed limit on the test route at 35mph. So I'm a bit worried about how it would do when needing to accelerate up a short on ramp and merge onto our LA area freeways. That is really the only time that lackluster acceleration is an issue for basic transportation. The Mirai would not be anyone's choice for a spirited romp through the canyons.

On point 2 - The whine was definitely quite noticeable. I don't know how it would do against my normal radio volume. We had the radio off as we were talking with the Tech throughout the drive. I'm guessing with music on, it wouldn't be an issue and no more of an issue than the noise from a normal ICE when accelerating hard. And I think I found it disconcerting only because I hadn't heard that type of noise from a car before and wasn't expecting it or know what it was. In normal driving (under 40mph), it was quiet. Someone else who got it to freeway cruising speed will need to chime in if it is still quiet at that speed.
Thanks. I don't expect C&D to like a car that's aimed at basic transportation, as they're gearheads who live for performance. I tend to split the difference in my own needs - I want reliable, economical transport, but I also want some level of good driving qualities (Prius level flab is outside the pale). Neither of the Subie wagons I've owned for the past 27 years have been particularly exciting to drive, but at least they have reasonable steering feel and don't throw up their hands in surrender when I'm pushing a bit on the winding two-lane mountain roads I'm often driving on. The Mirai's 0-60 time is better than my current Subie, although I don't really care about that; it's passing times that are critical for me, and that's an area where single-speed electric cars tend to start losing their advantage. OTOH, BEVs (and PHEVs in battery mode) have the same power at altitude as they do at sea level, while FCEVS lose some. Until someone takes one of these cars up to altitude and reports on what happens there, how suitable they may be for someone like me remains unknown. The Tucson FCEV is obviously more in my line than the Mirai is, but the Mirai's extra range is useful given the very limited infrastructure for the next couple of years. Not that I have any intention of buying or leasing either of them, as they're still too expensive for my taste.

Back to the whine: was that motor whine, or do you think it was from the compressor? Living with a Think City for a week 15+ years ago, the motor whine (_exactly_ like an electric golf cart) was driving me crazy after a day or two - it even seemed to be giving me a headache on longer drives. Fortunately( :? ) I've now lost virtually all of my high-frequency hearing and a considerable amount of the rest, so I doubt it would be an issue for me now! :lol:

I don't know the car or tech well enough to indicate what the whine was from. It was kinda similar to what I've heard from golf carts, but louder. However, it was only during a fast acceleration so I only heard it 2 times during the short drive.

DarthPuppy said:
I don't know the car or tech well enough to indicate what the whine was from. It was kinda similar to what I've heard from golf carts, but louder. However, it was only during a fast acceleration so I only heard it 2 times during the short drive.
If it's only under high accel, I doubt that would be an issue for most people. With the Think it was constant any time the vehicle was in motion; only the volume changed.

Via GCC:
ITM Power, Symbio FCell and Arcola Energy partner to provide integrated package of fuel cell vehicles, fueling and support to UK fleet operators
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2015/10/20151001-itm.html
ITM Power has signed an agreement with Symbio FCell and Arcola Energy to provide an integrated package of fuel-cell-based commercial vehicles, on-site fuel and after-sales support for UK commercial fleet operators. The agreement is to work together to provide fleet customers with the assurance of a one-stop complete solution including preparation, insurance, site approvals, vehicle registration and staff training.

Symbio FCell, a leading designer and manufacturer of Fuel Cell Systems and Range Extenders, has deployed the largest number of fuel cell Range Extender Electric Vehicles (REEV) in Europe with customers such as La Poste, Air Liquide and Schneider Electric. (Earlier post.) The Renault Kangoo ZE-H2 electric van with fuel cell range extender from Symbio FCell is now in series production and offers a range of more than 200 miles (322 km), more than double the range of the electric-only van.

With a hydrogen refuelling time of less than three minutes, but the ability to plug-in whenever possible, the vehicle provides the best of both worlds for fleet managers and drivers. A similar vehicle, adapted to the Renault Trucks Maxity 4.5 T electric light duty truck is being tested at La Poste and will be commercially available in 2016. . . .
also:
GM planning to “own” the customer relationship beyond the vehicle; autonomous Volts, car sharing and fuel cells
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2015/10/20151001-gm.html
. . . Fuel Cell Propulsion. GM has been working to advance hydrogen fuel cells for a decade, launching its first fuel cell electric vehicle in 2007. In collaboration with Honda, it is developing a next-generation hydrogen fuel cell stack and hydrogen storage systems. GM confirmed its plans jointly to develop a commercially viable fuel cell vehicle with Honda in the 2020 timeframe. Because the technology can also provide promising financial rewards, GM indicated it is pursuing non-automotive fuel cell applications for the aerospace and military industries.

Via GCC:
Daimler, Linde and TOTAL open fifth hydrogen filling station in Baden-Württemberg
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2015/10/20151003-daimlerh2.html

Daimler, Linde and TOTAL are continuing their joint plans for the expansion of the German hydrogen infrastructure with the opening of a fifth hydrogen refueling station in Baden-Württemberg. This follows on the openings at the Geiselwind motorway service area—the first H2 filling station on the autobahn—and at two locations in Berlin. More hydrogen filling stations will follow in the months ahead.

Hydrogen fueling technology is largely standardized at this point. Last year, Linde inaugurated the world’s first small-series production facility for hydrogen fuelling stations in Vienna. The TOTAL multi-energy station in Fellbach uses a compact 700-bar fuelling technology that is also suited for retrofitting existing, conventional filling stations.

By 2016, 50 hydrogen filling stations—built and operated as part of the Clean Energy Partnership (CEP)—will supply Germany’s metropolitan areas and main corridors. With 50 hydrogen filling stations, nationwide mobility between metropolitan areas and along the main traffic arteries will be possible throughout Germany.

As part of this expansion program, the Daimler-Linde initiative is participating in a total of 20 new H2 stations with a total investment of approximately €20 million (US$22 million).

Daimler plans to start marketing competitive fuel-cell vehicles from 2017. Fuel cell vehicles combine a high range of about 400 to 500 kilometers (250 - 311 miles) with a very short refueling time. The gradual expansion of the H2 infrastructure represents one of the most important factors for a successful launch of such vehicles.

Linde, with around 100 filling stations set up in 15 countries, has for many years been a leader in hydrogen technology. The company operates the world's first small-series production facility for H2 fuelling stations in Vienna, where it uses the IC90 ionic compressor, which was developed by Linde and combines advantages in power consumption, maintenance and noise.

TOTAL has been a trailblazer in building a Germany-wide H2 service station infrastructure since 2002. Eight of the 19 public H2 filling stations now open in Germany are TOTAL multi-energy service stations. Other hydrogen filling stations are planned in Ulm, Karlsruhe and at Cologne airport. In Fellbach, TOTAL paid for all construction and permitting costs, and handled the project management for building the hydrogen technology, including service and maintenance components. . . .

Via GCC:
Intelligent Energy announces US$1.8B deal for ~27K telecom towers in India; fuel cell power for ~70%; landmark in fuel cell deployment
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2015/10/20151004-ie.html

UK-based fuel cell developer Intelligent Energy will purchase contracts from GTL Limited to supply energy-management services across more than 27,400 telecom towers in India—about 6.4% of the country’s total. Essential Energy, a subsidiary of Intelligent Energy in India, will assume the power management for the towers—a figure equivalent to 50% of the UK’s telecom towers and 13% of the US’. Essential Energy intends to transition around 70% of the managed telecom towers from diesel power to hydrogen fuel cells throughout their contracts’ tenure.

The transaction delivers contracted revenues of approximately £1.2 billion (US$1.8 billion) over ten years—a major development for Intelligent Energy and the industry, said Henri Winand, CEO of Intelligent Energy Holdings. The landmark deal also represents a major milestone in hydrogen fuel cell deployment.

"Our technology will not only help to bring a stable, reliable power supply to these towers, it will also demonstrate the full power of hydrogen fuel cells today, and in the future. Using our technology, India can leapfrog into an information-driven future without assuming the costs and experiencing the difficulties of first implementing a conventional energy grid. This deal sets a significant precedent for shaping India’s energy future. . . ."

—Henri Winand

GRA said:
Via ABG:
NREL will open first hydrogen fueling station in Colorado
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/10/05/nrel-will-open-first-hydrogen-fueling-station-in-colorado/

. . . NREL is dedicating the station on October 8 in Golden, about 15 miles outside of Denver proper. The debut of the 700-bar station. . . is scheduled to coincide with National Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Day. <snip>
AFAIK none of the FCEV manufacturers have any plans to sell the cars in CO anytime soon, so presumably this is primarily for NREL test purposes.
From the NREL Press Release announcing the station opening:
The fueling station is part of NREL's new Hydrogen Infrastructure Testing and Research Facility (HITRF), where scientists will be able to produce hydrogen through electrolysis, test fuel cell vehicle and infrastructure components and systems, and improve renewable hydrogen production methods. The HITRF will support research and development projects funded by the Energy Department's Fuel Cell Technologies Office in the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy as well as industry, government, and university partners.

NREL opened its first hydrogen fueling research station in 2009 at the National Wind Technology Center south of Boulder as part of the Wind-to-Hydrogen project studying renewable hydrogen production through electrolysis. The new HITRF station in Golden builds on that experience and expertise.

The HITRF is a retail-style station in a research setting - enabling demonstration of real-world hydrogen fueling and infrastructure technologies with no disruption to customer service. NREL is using the HITRF to test the hydrogen station equipment performance (HyStEP) device for the Energy Department as part of the Hydrogen Fueling Infrastructure Research and Station Technology project, or H2FIRST, in collaboration with Sandia National Laboratories. The HyStEP device is intended to accelerate commercial hydrogen station acceptance by validating that the station can follow standard protocols for safe hydrogen fueling. The data generated by the device will be shared with all car manufacturers, instead of each company having to separately validate a station's performance.

"It's a significant cost and time savings for car companies," said Keith Wipke, manager of NREL's Fuel Cell and Hydrogen Technologies program. "Customers can start using a new station within a week after it opens instead of six to 10 weeks as each company does its own testing. That's a major improvement. . . ."
http://www.nrel.gov/news/press/2015/20582

They could be in the process of arranging sales in Colorado - perhaps an announcement from an automaker is imminent. Or they could be thinking that if they build the infrastructure, the cars will come?

Another possibility would be non-consumer targeted FCVs like buses. I seem to recall municipalities running CNG buses long before CNG powered cars showed up.

DarthPuppy said:
They could be in the process of arranging sales in Colorado - perhaps an announcement from an automaker is imminent. Or they could be thinking that if they build the infrastructure, the cars will come?

Another possibility would be non-consumer targeted FCVs like buses. I seem to recall municipalities running CNG buses long before CNG powered cars showed up.

Or it's a government program that makes zero economic or practical sense whatsoever.

DarthPuppy said:

Buses are an option (we've got some here in the Bay Area), but in that case it would make far more sense to build the H2 filling station at the depot, unless NREL happens to be close. And Golden has extremely limited bus service:

http://www.cityofgolden.net/live/transit-services/

so it hardly seems necessary or economical to add just a few buses when, as mentioned a few posts up, one company in China has contracted with Ballard for 300 FCV buses. I think that's the largest single ZEV (BEV/FCV) bus order to date, and shows that FCV buses are moving beyond the dem/val stage.

Back