How to obtain Georgia ZEV certificate to claim 5K Tax Credit

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if it's a big deal but the form you print and the website show Suite 134 at that address.

http://www.georgiaair.org/airpermit/html/mobilearea/engines/Alternativefuels.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can anyone offer any insight into this scenario?

I am looking into assuming a 2014 Leaf lease from a friend. I live in Georgia and he leased the Leaf in South Carolina earlier this year.

If I take over his 36 month lease with 30 months left, when I register the car in my state of Georgia can I claim the 5k GA state tax credit? Nissan says yes, as I will be assuming a new car lease and the car has never been registered in my state. According to Nissan it is still the first lease on a new car. Most everyone else says no, because the car is not new. Also I would not really be leasing the car from a dealership.

Happy New Year Everyone!

I sent in my Certificate to be signed on 12/16 via UPS, it was delivered on 12/17, haven't received the signed form yet. Is anyone else experiencing the same delays, possibly due to the holiday period?

I have sent a follow up email, the mailbox of the person listed appears to be full.

Cheers

Atlantan said:
Happy New Year Everyone!

I sent in my Certificate to be signed on 12/16 via UPS, it was delivered on 12/17, haven't received the signed form yet. Is anyone else experiencing the same delays, possibly due to the holiday period?

I have sent a follow up email, the mailbox of the person listed appears to be full.

Cheers

I sent my first one (USPS) in in July and got it back about 3 weeks later. I sent my second one (USPS) in the week before Thanksgiving, and it arrived less than 3 weeks later (which shocked me being that it was over the holiday).

cbish68 said:
Can anyone offer any insight into this scenario?

I am looking into assuming a 2014 Leaf lease from a friend. I live in Georgia and he leased the Leaf in South Carolina earlier this year.

If I take over his 36 month lease with 30 months left, when I register the car in my state of Georgia can I claim the 5k GA state tax credit? Nissan says yes, as I will be assuming a new car lease and the car has never been registered in my state. According to Nissan it is still the first lease on a new car. Most everyone else says no, because the car is not new. Also I would not really be leasing the car from a dealership.

Probably too late to help you, but I don't think that's how the credit works in Georgia (I could be wrong). You could read the actual language of the statute (available from Nissan in the incentives section) to be sure.

I've heard (on MNL) that this would work in Colorado though.

forummm said:
Atlantan said:
Happy New Year Everyone!

Cheers

I sent my first one (USPS) in in July and got it back about 3 weeks later. I sent my second one (USPS) in the week before Thanksgiving, and it arrived less than 3 weeks later (which shocked me being that it was over the holiday).

Thanks. I will wait till the end of the month. Has anyone had it sent it twice for the same car?

Atlantan said:
forummm said:
Atlantan said:
Happy New Year Everyone!

Cheers

Thanks. I will wait till the end of the month. Has anyone had it sent it twice for the same car?

I think they are probably really busy this month. I read that at the end of 2013, 1000 Leafs were sold in Georgia (i.e. 1/3 of the nation's total that month). Add in the holidays (almost no one was in my office for about 2 weeks), and it's reasonable that it could take them awhile.

Can anyone walk me through filing for the rebate throug Turbotax? Turbotax doesn't seem to be aware of the rebate. I have the signed color ZEV form already.

Has anyone tried to claim the roll over credit yet?

I claimed a little over $3000 on my 2013 taxes which I received after jumping through the hoops of getting the credit approval form filled out and sent in the original color document as stated. Now I have submitted by 2014 taxes with the remainder of the $5000, which is a little over $1800. My tax return was received (had to mail it because I submitted a copy of the original approval document which was submitted with my 2013 taxes) and my return was flagged for fraud. After sitting on hold for an hour I spoke to a rep that reviewed the flag and cleared it, but he said now I have to speak to the credit division about the "zero emission credit" I am trying to claim. He transferred me but as it was almost 5pm when he did, the call was dropped as soon as I saw the clock on my computer turn 5pm.

I have to call them back tomorrow, but before I assume I am about to go head to head with the Ga Dept of Revenue, I would like to know if anyone has actually tried to claim the remaining credit as a roll over and received it or if they had a similar experience.

A friend found himself in a similar situation with the energy credit for home improvement. He replaced half the windows in his home and received the energy credit for 2012, but when he replaced the remaining half in 2013 and tried to claim the credit, he was flagged for fraud. After talking to that department, who verified his info and cleared the flag, he was told to call the credit division (same as me). They told him he could not receive the credit because he did not get pre-approval to claim the credit (there is no documentation that states that). It was a no win situation for him.

medikit said:
Can anyone walk me through filing for the rebate throug Turbotax? Turbotax doesn't seem to be aware of the rebate. I have the signed color ZEV form already.

Turbo tax was a bit confusing when I tried it. I use TaxAct and it does have all the credit options including the ZEV and LEV. I usually do Turbo Tax, TaxAct, and HR online to see who can get me the most refund (by my taxes are pretty simple to fill in). Just be aware that you CANNOT e-file the state return because you must provide that original color document with your taxes. If you print through one of the online sites, you will get a Schedule-2 (I believe) for the credit. I suppose you could e-file, but you have to send that document via mail and good luck with it being added to your return file. Also be sure to include a copy of your federal 1040 with your state return if you mail it in.

forummm said:
Happy New Year Everyone!

Cheers

I think they are probably really busy this month. I read that at the end of 2013, 1000 Leafs were sold in Georgia (i.e. 1/3 of the nation's total that month). Add in the holidays (almost no one was in my office for about 2 weeks), and it's reasonable that it could take them awhile.
[/quote][/quote]

Just remember that there is one man who does all of those documents. His name is Mr. Udi and he is reachable by phone. But he can't answer tax questions.

Also make absolutely positively sure you are using the most resent revision of the document. I originally sent him the one I printed off of the Air Protection Branch's website and it had a past commissioner's name on it. Mr. Udi called me to let me know I needed to submit it again with the current revision. There are two links on the http://www.georgiaair.org/airpermit/html/mobilearea/engines/Alternativefuels.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; website. One is at the very top of the page. THAT IS THE OLD FORM. Scroll down until you get to the "Steps to take if you qualify for the tax credit" section. The link there is to the most current revision (1/12) and has Judson Turner's name as the commissioner. He is the current one because I just checked the Air Protection Branch's phone directory listing on their site.

I recommend everyone use the Where's My Refund feature on https://gtc.dor.ga.gov/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If it says to call in, then call in. For some reason my return has been held up twice so far. And they needed me to call in so it could be moved forward to the next step. The first time it was a concern about fraud. After I called in they said the refund would be in my account soon. The second they just asked me if I had mailed in the DNR forms. Not sure why they couldn't see the forms in the same envelope with the return... Anyway, then they said that it would be in my account within 30 business days. I would not be surprised if I had to call in again. I will be checking the status daily.

forummm said:
I recommend everyone use the Where's My Refund feature on https://gtc.dor.ga.gov/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If it says to call in, then call in. For some reason my return has been held up twice so far. And they needed me to call in so it could be moved forward to the next step. The first time it was a concern about fraud. After I called in they said the refund would be in my account soon. The second they just asked me if I had mailed in the DNR forms. Not sure why they couldn't see the forms in the same envelope with the return... Anyway, then they said that it would be in my account within 30 business days. I would not be surprised if I had to call in again. I will be checking the status daily.

So I called back today and the same thing happened. They asked me if I had sent in the DNR form. I told them it was in the same envelope as my return. I was placed on hold a few times and when the rep came back she told me she had cleared my return and it would continue processing. I have to call back the end of next week to make sure they don't need anything else.

My online info for "Where's My Refund" still shows I need to call though.

forummm said:

Now the online system says my refund is "scheduled to be transmitted" in 4 days, and to allow 5-7 days from that date for it to show up in my account. Sounds like a done deal!

kpence73 said:
forummm said:

So I called back today and the same thing happened. They asked me if I had sent in the DNR form. I told them it was in the same envelope as my return. I was placed on hold a few times and when the rep came back she told me she had cleared my return and it would continue processing. I have to call back the end of next week to make sure they don't need anything else.

My online info for "Where's My Refund" still shows I need to call though.

So I got my refund. I spent a total of about 1.5 hours on the phone but I got it cleared up.

Follow the above advise. If you use "where's my refund" for Georgia and it tells you to call a phone number then call it. The status only includes a phone number when they need info from you.

I received my state refund but not the ZEV rebate portion. I think something went wrong with filing.

Update:
I'm in the process of trying to get the ZEV credit. It can be difficult to navigate the phone systems, for example if you are just inquiring about your return and the system thinks you already received your refund it will just tell you so and then hang up on you.

So here is what I've done:
Call: 1-877-423-6711
Select option #2. From here do not select any option, just select 0 and it will say that it will transfer you but it will just repeat the menu. Repeat this process 3 times. (there is probably a quicker way to talk to a living person but this works)

The person will then look at your scanned tax return and confirm that you send them the color rebate form signed by James Udi. She will then transfer you to the "credit department". The wait time is quite long.

Update2: I eventually spoke with someone and I should receive my rebate in the next couple weeks.

I just received my GA tax refund via direct deposit. However, I did not receive the carryforward from my ZEV tax credit (had about $1000 left to use from my 2013 lease). So I called up GA DOR, and they said I have to send up the signed certification each year, even if it's a carryforward from the previous year. Is this correct? Has anyone else come across this problem? I'd call back, but thought I'd save myself the long hold time in case someone else knew.

ajshin27 said:
I just received my GA tax refund via direct deposit. However, I did not receive the carryforward from my ZEV tax credit (had about $1000 left to use from my 2013 lease). So I called up GA DOR, and they said I have to send up the signed certification each year, even if it's a carryforward from the previous year. Is this correct? Has anyone else come across this problem? I'd call back, but thought I'd save myself the long hold time in case someone else knew.

I talked to them and they said I could send a copy next year. Obviously you can't get a new signed certificate. They have a copy of your tax return from last year that they should be able to look up and find the previous signed certificate.

Wed 3/18: I received a direct deposit from GA without the $5K ZEV credit.
Fri 3/20: Called the 800 #, option 2 then zero, before 8:30 AM, was no wait time, the representative was very polite and professional! They informed me that my tax preparer - H&R Block didn't send the signed certificate. I had purchased the peace of mind from H&R Block, but wanted to resolve this on my own. As soon as I gave the LEV# from the signed certificate, the rep was able to see the approval from the Natural Resources Dept and released the credit for me. I was informed that I would get the credit in 30 days.
Mon 3/23: Received a letter dated 3/12 that signed cert wasn't included and therefore the $5K credit was rejected.
Tue 3/24: Received the $5K direct deposit.
FRi 3/27 received a letter from GA stating that return was adjusted and that I would be receiving that corrected amount.

Learnings...if you didn't receive the $5K, but have the signed certificate, call them and give them the LEV# from the certificate.

Cheers

ajshin27 wrote:

ajshin27,
Did you put $5000 on 2013 GA tax return? or you put $4000? For year 2014 tax return, Did you put $5000 or $1000? Many thanks!

Back