How to obtain Georgia ZEV certificate to claim 5K Tax Credit

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dont forget. If you have the AFV tag on your vehicle you also get to go through the tolls on 400 for free.

ccheath776 said:
dont forget. If you have the AFV tag on your vehicle you also get to go through the tolls on 400 for free.

You still have to pay the 50 cent toll on Highway 400, but you can use the I-85 HOT High Occupancy Toll lanes for free, and you are permitted to drive in the HOV High Occupancy Vehicle lanes with no passengers.

I have reserved a Leaf S for commuting to work here in Georgia. It's a LEASE.

If I understand correctly, my MSRP of $29,000 will be reduced $7500 to $21500 for the purpose of the cost basis.

Thus, instead of qualifying for the full $5,000 tax credit, I would get a tax credit around $4,225. Or is there any consideration of the additional money I will pay in Ad Valorem taxes, etc.?

Is that correct? Still a helluva deal. Used the VPP program.

The EVSE installation/purchase tax credit is only Federal, correct? GA seems to only give this to businesses.

Thanks!

Gearscout said:
I have reserved a Leaf S for commuting to work here in Georgia. It's a LEASE.

If I understand correctly, my MSRP of $29,000 will be reduced $7500 to $21500 for the purpose of the cost basis.

Thus, instead of qualifying for the full $5,000 tax credit, I would get a tax credit around $4,225. Or is there any consideration of the additional money I will pay in Ad Valorem taxes, etc.?

Is that correct? Still a helluva deal. Used the VPP program.

The EVSE installation/purchase tax credit is only Federal, correct? GA seems to only give this to businesses.

Thanks!

1. $5,000 is on the total car cost before Federal tax Credit.
2. Believe you can do the Federal for your charger & installation.
3. Yes, GA is only a business tax credit.

HI All,

Okay, so, I'm thinking about getting a Leaf, the BIG question for me that will determine if it's worth it or not is the $5k GA tax credit. Can someone who's done it please clarify how it works.

Some years I have been owed a refund from GA State after filing my taxes. Could the tax credit potentially pay me additional money IF I've paid in a lot to GA State based off my W-2?

So is it tied to the line on my W-2 that states GA State Income Tax?
or
is it tied to my GA tax form filed with GA and whether or not I OWE GA State tax after I file? I thought it may just reduce the amount I owe and nothing more. I've heard that it won't actually pay you...not sure if that's right however.

I have had both scenarios is the reason I ask, I've had refunds and one or more years I had to pay GA. Thanks!!

Anybody has gotten the Georgia Tax credit when purchasing from a dealer in another state?

WOuld that affect the tax credit at all?

It's probably worth noting AGAIN that the ZEV form listed at the top of page 1 in this threat MUST BE PRINTED IN COLOR. That's according to the GAEPD web page:

http://www.gaepd.org/Files_PDF/forms/apb/apb_levzevfs.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It doesn't mention anything about sending in pictures, as has already been noted here. But, why not? I want to show off my LEAF to everybody! ;-)

I have read elsewhere that there is a limit of 1 tax credit per "family." But that's nowhere to be found on the official web page. The dealership said if this tax credit continues, I could lease a new LEAF in 18 months time and claim the credit all over again. Don't know about that one, either!

My fundamental concern with this whole tax credit is with the lease aspect. Is it 20% of the vehicle cost, or 20% of the lease cost that is deductible? We will only know that when the tax accountant tries to claim it. I would certainly feel I had been misled by the dealer if the latter is the case.

braineo said:
Anybody has gotten the Georgia Tax credit when purchasing from a dealer in another state?

WOuld that affect the tax credit at all?

The official guidelines only make clear that the vehicle must be registered in Georgia and driven there.

The address of the dealership is certainly going to be seen. It could set off alarm bells and result in verification of your residency in Georgia. Pretty easy for them to pull tax records. But if you've been paying Georgia taxes, there shouldn't be any problem.

jvdhoeven said:
Some years I have been owed a refund from GA State after filing my taxes. Could the tax credit potentially pay me additional money IF I've paid in a lot to GA State based off my W-2?

It's easy to confuse how much total tax you pay in a year with how much you owe or get back at the end of the year.

The total tax you owe for the year is calculated on Form 500. For 2012, that was line 16.

The total tax you owe is then reduced by the $5k Zero Emission Vehicle credit from Schedule 2. The amount owed cannot go below $0. This tax credit is non-refundable.

After the credit is applied, then the tax you have already paid through paycheck deductions is subtracted. This number can be negative. If too much was deducted from your paycheck during the year, you get the balance back (tax refund). If too little was deducted, you have to pay the rest. If the total tax you owe for the year turns out to be $0, then you will be refunded all of the money deducted from your paychecks during the year.

I'm confused about the tax credit on a lease.
The tax rule states "20% of the vehicle cost or $5,000 tax credit is allowed for the purchase or lease"
If the lease payments come out to about $7000, would I only get a $1400 credit? Or would actual vehicle value (most of which I am not paying) be figured in, which would take me back up to the $5k credit?

Anyone have any better understanding of the tax law?

hnatkin said:
I'm confused about the tax credit on a lease.
The tax rule states "20% of the vehicle cost or $5,000 tax credit is allowed for the purchase or lease"
If the lease payments come out to about $7000, would I only get a $1400 credit? Or would actual vehicle value (most of which I am not paying) be figured in, which would take me back up to the $5k credit?

Anyone have any better understanding of the tax law?

I am leasing a 2013 Leaf myself. The 20% of the vehicle cost is the "Agreed upon value of the vehicle", which is the total value of the vehicle. Nissan doesn't care if it's you or the federal government paying, as long as they get paid, so this is this is the amount before the $7,500 federal tax credit. :cool: So for your leaf, it will mostly land around the $28K-$33K range depending on your package/negotiation skills. You get the 20% tax credit off of the Agreed upon value of the vehicle, regardless of whether you "purchase or lease". So unless you somehow get the dealership to agree to a huge discount on the Leaf that will lower the price to less than $25K (please tell me how! :shock: ), then you will get the full $5,000 GA tax credit.

I called the Department of Natural Resources (the ones who sign your form you'll need for your tax credit) and asked about how to carry over the credit since my tax liability is lower than $5,000 this year. He said to go ahead and file my taxes and if the Georgia tax revenue department asks for the form, then I should make a copy for my records and send in the original. Next year, I can just claim the remaining tax credit. They will already have the original form on file.

I'm looking to lease a Leaf. If my income tax liability is so low that it would take 3 years to receive the full $5K tax credit, would my lease need to be for the entire 3 year period, or would I somehow be guaranteed the full $5K (over 3 years) even on a 2 year lease?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Brubaker said:
I'm looking to lease a Leaf. If my income tax liability is so low that it would take 3 years to receive the full $5K tax credit, would my lease need to be for the entire 3 year period, or would I somehow be guaranteed the full $5K (over 3 years) even on a 2 year lease?

You would be able to spread it across up to 5 years, regardless of the length of the lease.

leafatl said:
Brubaker said:

You would be able to spread it across up to 5 years, regardless of the length of the lease.

This is contradictory to information received by one of the Atlanta Leaf Owners Facebook group members. He was told you must still own (or be leasing) the car each year you take the credit. It would be advisable to contact the Department of Revenue and/or the Department of Natural Resources to get direct clarification before leasing.

CmdrThor said:
leafatl said:
Brubaker said:

This is contradictory to information received by one of the Atlanta Leaf Owners Facebook group members. He was told you must still own (or be leasing) the car each year you take the credit. It would be advisable to contact the Department of Revenue and/or the Department of Natural Resources to get direct clarification before leasing.

Can you point to the location in the tax code (or even the link to the Facebook post) where this was stated?

Here's a link to the fact sheet for the credit: http://www.georgiaair.org/airpermit/downloads/mobilearea/engines/Alternative%20Fuels/levzevfs.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: I think I found the post you're referring to, but it's just saying that you can't sell the car before you claim the credit: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ATL.Leaf.Owners/permalink/461561380581740/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Once you claim the credit (while you still own the car), you're eligible to carry it over for up to 5 years, regardless of whether or not you own the car.

leafatl said:
Can you point to the location in the tax code (or even the link to the Facebook post) where this was stated?

Here's a link to the fact sheet for the credit: http://www.georgiaair.org/airpermit/downloads/mobilearea/engines/Alternative%20Fuels/levzevfs.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: I think I found the post you're referring to, but it's just saying that you can't sell the car before you claim the credit: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ATL.Leaf.Owners/permalink/461561380581740/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Once you claim the credit (while you still own the car), you're eligible to carry it over for up to 5 years, regardless of whether or not you own the car.

I couldn't find the post .. you very well could be right, I was just suggesting talking to someone who knows for sure would be a good idea.

So the $5K tax credit is issued separate from your actual refund, if any. My normal tax refund was deposited ETF into my bank account but they are sending me a paper check for the Leaf tax credit. To make it more confusing DOR sent me a letter stating "we made changes to your tax refund...." which showed that my tax refund was minus the $5K Leaf credit. Obviously, I was upset and called them right away. After a 20 minute wait to speak with an agent I was finally able to get through and was told that the check was mailed the same day they issued my normal refund. For those who are interested in more information about my case, yes I leased my Leaf back in mid 2013 and was very apprehensive about getting this GA credit as there are so many different versions and theories out there. Bottom line is get your DNR certification, file your tax return and then wait (in my case it took 2.5 months for GA DOR to issue the refund and if you call them they will tell you that there is a 90 day wait if you claim the ZEV tax credit). That's all folks - hope this helps.

It appears results may vary on how and how soon you get the credit, but everyone I know eventually received the full credit from the GA DOR. My ZEV refund came along with my regular refund last week. The total amount was put into my account via EFT. I filed via paper and sent in my original DNR certification with it, per the state's instructions. The refund took about a month and a half. Some people I know e-filed their GA returns and then called the GA DOR and just faxed in a copy of their DNR cert. Not what you are supposed to do, but they received the credit anyway.

Back