How much will my Electric Bill increase charging the Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$18.87 last month (March 2012 - a 31 day month), and just under $15 for Feb 2012. Rate here (Duke Power) is less than 10 cents per kWh. Approximately 760 miles last month. That is running 1/3 to 1/4 the operating cost of my Prius. The poor Prius now sits.

Jan bill with 2 weeks of having one Leaf $125.00
Feb bill with 1 month on Leaf and 2 weeks with second Leaf $122.00
Mar bill with 2 Leafs charging $135.00

Ian B

We only charge about every 3 days if that matters or helps you.

And in summer, with AC full blast your charging costs will be just noise and not noticeable at all. In fact if you increase your AC temps by 1 degree, you will be practically driving your Leaf(s) for free.

Nice to see a pattern across multiple climates/usage.
I too run about $20/month for about 1000 miles (@around 10 cents/kWh).
AND NO MAINTENANCE!

laalan said:
I drive conservatively and the wife has way more fun with the car. She is a 3.5 and I am a 4.1.
Sounds like you guys are both "10"s in my book by driving EV. :D Don't be so harsh on yourself! ;)

mitch672 said:
Hard to say exactly, as it depends on the conditions, however....

Mitch672- trying to resurrect this topic and hoping you might take a look at this web tool in beta mode to help current and more importantly, potential EV owners estimate their costs to drive on electricity:

http://plugwizblog.blogspot.com/2012...beta-test.html

We are hoping for feedback so we can refine and bring it to the masses. Thanks for the consideration.

1,100 miles on my first full month of ownership, my bill went up by about $85, car wings says i get 4.5 miles a kw, the car's dash says 4.0 while the info color display on the car says 4.1 :roll:
I pay here in Yonkers, NY close to $0.24 a KW :x - this includes the mysteriously sometimes variable con edison delivery charge.

I think I get wayy below 4.0, I drive hard in stop n go traffic, accelerate hard with AC on, 65 - 70 mph on freeway. An 80% charge gets me 35 - 40 real miles with 2 bars left showing 16 - 20 miles left after my commute and some daily errands. If I where to try to drive a prius which I previously owned like I drive my leaf I would get no more than 35 mpg, the thing is the prius doesn't come close to matching the torque the leaf has.

If where to have purchased instead the latest gen Prius, drove it more sensibly I could spend those same $85 buying gas at say $4 a gallon which would get me close to the 1,100 miles provided I average 50MPG. - but then again saving $ was not the reason I got the leaf. :D

PlugWiz said:
mitch672 said:
Hard to say exactly, as it depends on the conditions, however....

Mitch672- trying to resurrect this topic and hoping you might take a look at this web tool in beta mode to help current and more importantly, potential EV owners estimate their costs to drive on electricity:

http://plugwizblog.blogspot.com/2012...beta-test.html

We are hoping for feedback so we can refine and bring it to the masses. Thanks for the consideration.
Sorry, but my feedback is: dead link.

I asked this EXACT question when I was trying to decide which rate plan to use from my utility company, PG&E for my EV. So I built an app that will give you a good idea by taking into account your historical electricity usage and various rate plans offered. Check it out here:

http://www.pev4me.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope it is useful and definitely welcome any feedback.

Thanks!

I have Pedernales Electric in Cedar Park, Texas. Owner of 2011 Leaf and 2013 Volt going on now for 2 years combined. Have not seen any increase in the electric bill but, I am not measuring with a counter. Just comparing to years in the past for that month usage. If I see an increase is definitely due to 2 central a/c units being used due to warm/hot weather.

Ian B

lucky people in the us.
in germany 1KWh energy costs 0,41.- $,in austria(where i live) 0,31.-$.

gasoline 7,60.-$ /gallon
diesel 6,70.-$/gallon

here we use 80% diesel cars

my leaf tekna,fully equiped ,costs me 47.000.-$ cash

With the PG&E EV rate, overnight charging is about 10 cents per kwh. So a 15 kwh recharge costs $1.50. We probably do the equivalent of 15 full recharges per month. That would come to $22.50 per month, for about 1000 miles per month. Haven't actually noticed much change in the electric bill.

alcalira said:
With the PG&E EV rate, overnight charging is about 10 cents per kwh. So a 15 kwh recharge costs $1.50.
Yes, but what about the rest of your electric usage? You don't say whether you are on EV-A or EV-B. If you are on EV-A you are paying nearly 27¢/kWh this winter, and more than 37.6¢/kWh in the summer for all the electricity your house uses from 2PM until 9PM on weekdays, 3PM until 7PM on weekends. If you were on the standard E-1 rate instead much, if not all, of that usage would be at 13¢ to 15¢/kWh.

In short, Schedule EV-A roughly doubles what you pay for the electricity not used to charge your car.

Ray

Back