How many different EVs have you seen in a normal day's driving?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too many to count! Every few months I'll get a "blackout bingo" day and see nearly every single model. Some notes from the EV "promise land" ;)

I see more 500e's than ICE versions... in fact I see them more than leafs! Also see more Smart ED's than ICE versions. It use to be a Pasadena only kind of thing, but now it's a "east of LA" kind of thing. Model S' are also extremely popular. The best place to spot a PiP is at a free charging station. :roll: A "lucky day" is when I spot an iMiev, i8, Coda, Accord Plugin, Tesla Roadster, or Fisker Karma. I've never seen a Think City in the wild. I've seen pretty much everything else at some point.

I see a handful every day. When we DIDN'T see any was the day we bought the car. 140 miles away, in Alabama. Once we got outside of Atlanta - nada! Fewer charging options? Further miles to travel? And on the way back, none - but the one my wife was following.
This is really a city car!

Zero, on average. Three years and nine months after I got my LEAF EVs remain exceedingly rare here. I've seen about as many mountain lions as EVs in the wild, and the former are notoriously shy.

LeftieBiker said:
Wouldn't know a PIP from a non plug-in Prius..

There is a second "gas tank door" for the charging port on the right rear of the car, on the side opposite the gas fill door. The door handles are also flat grey, and there is a badge or two that identifies it as a Plug-In.
So that should help if I'm parked next to one, but probably not much just driving thru town.
LeftieBiker said:
EDIT: And in Winter, you can identify them by the over-dressed, shivering driver - no electric heat.
AH!!
That I can see!! :)
Well, if my windshield isn't too fogged up for me to see them myself... ;-)

desiv

When I was working in Santa Clara, CA, I saw every type of EV except for the i-MiEV, Fisker Karma, and Coda. Here in Texas, there are a few LEAFs and Teslas in my area, but that's it. I will usually see 1-2 EVs a day. Sad, really.

There's a residential street that I sometimes use as a shortcut to get to work, and on one block there is a Smart ED, a Tesla 70D and a street parked i-MiEV. The weird thing is, the 70D is never plugged in (but is frequently not there, so I know they drive it), and the i-MiEV charges in the street! The house with the 70D used to have a silver Leaf which was always plugged into an L1, so I know the Tesla is theirs.

I saw a Fisker once when I was up in CT with my Leaf, and I saw a Think charging next to me at the beach once. Other than that, I spot lots of Teslas and Volts, but very few Leafs. Occasionally I spot a Fit EV driving around, and I've seen two Accord PHEVs on the highway. Plenty of PiPs, but I can't figure out why -- our HOV incentive is bad here, and most of the PiPs I've seen don't even have the stickers!

They're pretty common around here. My work parking lot (about 40 spaces) has two Tesla 85d's and another leaf. I see Tesla's and Leaf's all over town, the BMW i3 isn't uncommon either. The other day spotted a plugin hybrid BMW i8 for the first time.

As I hadn't done a long (>= 1.5 hour) evening commute PEV count since May, did one last night, from 5:12-7:02. Here's the totals:

Volt 18
LEAF 16
PiP 15
Fusion Energi 14
C-Max Energi 7
Model S 7
i3 4 (2 were REx, 2 undetermined [wrong side, no stickers]. i3 REx/non-REx IDs have been running at least 3:1 in favor of REx)
Focus El. 2
500e 2
Smart ED, E-Golf, Spark EV, Fit EV, ELR (v. rare), Rav4 all 1 each.

Total 91 of 15 different models, incl. 57 PHEV; 32 BEV incl. 7 long range BEV, 1 medium range BEV and 24 short range BEV; and 2 either BEV or PHEV.

Here's what it was almost a year ago (10/23/14, 5:05-6:37):

LEAF 16
PiP 16
Volt 14
Fusion Energi 3
Focus El. 2
C-Max Energi, Model S, Soul EV, 500e, Smart ED, RAV4 all 1 each.

Total 57 of 11 different models, including 34 PHEV; 23 BEV incl. 1 long range, 1 med. range and 21 short range.

Some basic analysis shows the (known) PHEV/BEV ratio was 1.78/1:00 last night, versus 1.48:1.00 last October. If we lump the long range BEVs (Model S) in with the PHEVs, the ratios become 64:25 or 2.56:1.00 last night versus 35:22 or 1.59:1:00 last October. Note that the number of Model S seen last October 23rd was less than I'd normally expect: 2-4 would have been more typical.

While it would be a mistake to draw any conclusions based solely upon two data sets, the shift towards PHEVs/long range BEVs and away from short range BEVs matches what I've been seeing for at least the past 1.5 years. I hypothesize that many early adopters who experimented with short range BEVs found them too limiting for their needs, and have either gone back to ICEs/HEVs or shifted to PHEVs. That's probably combined with more PHEV models being available (but then more BEV models are also available).

It's also possible/likely that the ratio of PHEV/BEV may be skewed towards PHEVs by the location where I do my counts, as it's an arterial that acts as a feeder for a freeway that's heavily used by 'mega-commuters' (1-way commute of >= 50 miles AND 90 minutes), of which the Bay Area has the largest % of any metro area in the country, 2.5% IIRR.

One trend that I've been noticing informally locally as well as in ievs' monthly PEV scorecard, but can now confirm with data, is that Fords constituted the largest number of PEVs seen (23) from any one manufacturer, including the largest number of PHEVs (21). I'd expected there to be a considerable market for relatively inexpensive PHEVs with ca. 20 mile AERs and normal looks, and this appears to show that's the case, especially for the Fusion Energi. I expect that Ford PEVs would sell even better if they weren't conversions that lost a significant amount of cargo area to batteries.

That being said, while I don't keep a count of ICE/HEV versions, my rough guesstimate is that the ratio of local Fusions powered by ICE/HEV/PHEV is around 5:3:1. The Fusion appears to be the most popular mid-size domestic car in the Bay Area, a region where domestic _cars_ have had little market share for decades. The Chrysler 200 also seems to be reasonably popular, but both are dwarfed by the number of Camrys/Accords/Prius/Altimas/Kia and Hyundais etc.

Back