How many different EVs have you seen in a normal day's driving?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davewill

Today felt like a record to me. Just a normal day. I saw:

The usual -- lots of
LEAFs
Tesla Model S
Prius Plugins

The less so --
Fiat 500e
Rav4EV
Fit EV
Spark EV
eGolf

And for the first time --
A Fisker Karma

And that was without spotting any i3s or Volts which I often do.

How many have you seen in one day? No fair counting car shows or EV events!

On a typical day I see three or four: my Leaf, my three EZIP bicycles...and that's it. I also see my housemate's PIP. Oops, wait: I also usually see the now non-functioning ZEV electric "motorcycle" rotting in my garage.

I usually see 4 to 6, not counting mine. One to three Model S, one to two Volts, one to two Leafs. Depending on where I go to lunch, I might also see an i-Miev. I have seen a few Karmas (there was a dealership in Dallas) but rarely. My two 'very rare' sightings were a couple of Roadsters and a SmartCar EV.

The most I have seen in a day, not counting cars shows, is 26 at the free charges at Love Field. 26 cars! Solid mix of Leaf, Model S and Volt.

davewill said:

The usual -- lots of
LEAFs
Tesla Model S
Prius Plugins

The less so --
Fiat 500e
Rav4EV
Fit EV
Spark EV
eGolf

A Fisker Karma

As your second list has some 'compliance' cars (Fiat, Rav4, Fit, Spark) these would be quite rare out here in the Midwest, but some get out here as used cars; not typical but I have recently seen a Rav4EV (someone bought it and had it shipped to IL via Carmax), a local Fiat dealer had a used 500e for sale -- some not mentioned but that do show up on occasion around here would be a Th!nk (made briefly in Indiana), lots of Tesla S sedan's , a few Tesla roadsters, a Ford Focus EV; PiP is quite rare (have only seen 1 in about a year) ... as far as other PHEV's, lots of C-Max Energi's, both i series BMW's (i3 ReX and i8) and we actually had a Fisker dealer in the NW 'burbs of Chicago (sign is still up; possibly hoping for a comeback?) so see at least every few weeks (not the same car). Recently had a chance to drive the Audi A3 sportback e-tron as well at a downtown Chicago event ... the MBZ B-class has made it as far as Iowa as a used car but have yet to seen one. And of course don't forget about the Volt which outnumbers LEAF's by a huge factor out here at least ... and lastly, but quite rare a Mitsu iMiEV and the smart ED on occasion -- on a 'typical' day perhaps up to 3 to 5 in total of any combo of the above

As an eGolf driver, I've seen a surprising number of other eGolfs in my area, including just down the street from me. In terms of BEV sightings, in order:

Leaf
Tesla Model S
Fiat 500e
Chevy Spark EV
BMW i3
VW eGolf
Mercedes B-Electric
Smart Electric Drive
KIa Soul EV

I can't remember the last time I saw a Ford Focus Electric or Mitsubishi iMiEV in the wild.

EVs are very rare here in Michigan- so much so that I can remember every time I've seen them. There are quite a few Volts and Enegi's, mostly because of the presence of Ford and GM in Michigan.

In the last 3.5 years / 40,000 miles, I've seen:

-4 LEAFs
-4 Model Ss
-2 iMiEVs
-1 Roadster (looked like it had LOTS of miles on it).
-1 Karma (parked at an A123 facility here)
-Many Volts
-Many CMax Energi's
-Many Fusion Energi's

On the average day I see several Leaf's and usually at least one Tesla Model S (sometimes 2).
A few times a week, I'll see a BMW i3.
Beyond that, I wouldn't know really..

Not sure how to tell a Fiat 500e from a Fiat 500 or an eGolf from a Golf.
Wouldn't know a PIP from a non plug-in Prius..
I think I might recognize a Volt, but maybe not...
Kind of the same for most of the others. I wouldn't recognize them driving by...

There's only a few I can spot and ID in motion.
Unless they were plugged in next to me, I wouldn't notice.. ;-)

desiv

On a typical day I see ONLY our LEAF. Occasionally we see another LEAF or a Model S. Once in a while I notice a Chevy Volt, but I have a bit of trouble distinguishing them from the Cruise unless I can pick out specific features or the badge.

Here in Portland I see many. Occasionally a Electric Golf, a few Smart ED's, many i3's, mostly Leafs, many Tesla's, a few Focus', onsey twosey Fit EV's and a couple Fiat 500e's.

Some are much harder to spot since they look nearly identical to their ICE counterparts.

Generally only Teslas and LEAFs. There is a guy in my office complex who has a Plug-in Prius (they aren't sold in TN so he flew to VA to buy it). The only other plug-ins that I see are an occasional Volt (rare).
I have not seen an i3 out on the road yet but the BMW dealer here has leased a few as well as a couple of i8s.

On the weekday commute, I will typically see one other EV of some sort, sometimes two.

Typically it's either another Leaf, a Volt or a Tesla, although of late there has been less Leaf sightings and more Teslas.

The trend has been towards less EV sightings overall - two years ago it would be common to see at least three other EVs on the same drive.

Biggest simultaneous sighting was where our Leaf and a Tesla behind us were stopped together at a light next to a Volt.

Exciting times... :geek: :)

Like most, once we focused on a Leaf - every other car on the road was a Leaf. The same with the Lexus RX. It's like everyone bought one, the following day! So much for individuality...

I'm in Atlanta. On a work day, I see at least 15 Leafs. A Volt or i3 every other day, a Tesla once a week. This, on a 24 mile commute (each way).

davewill said:

The usual -- lots of
LEAFs
Tesla Model S
Prius Plugins

The less so --
Fiat 500e
Rav4EV
Fit EV
Spark EV
eGolf

A Fisker Karma

I count PHEVs too, so my numbers exceed yours. I've also seen one Karma, a few Roadsters, and even one Accord PHEV, but not in the same day. The typical day when I count cars during the evening commute, the LEAF, Volt and PiP vie for top honors in double digits, followed by the Model S at around 1/4- 1/3rd as many, then either the 500e or Fusion Energy just below the S, C-Max Energy a bit less, followed by single random examples of one or more of the others, including an occasional B-class. Haven't seen a 918 yet, or (TMK) a Coda. Oh, and one pre-production Model X, but I live in the Bay Area not far from Fremont, so I've got an advantage. :D

There is a second "gas tank door" for the charging port on the right rear of the car, on the side opposite the gas fill door. The door handles are also flat grey, and there is a badge or two that identifies it as a Plug-In.

EDIT: And in Winter, you can identify them by the over-dressed, shivering driver - no electric heat.

Decided to do a short (6:51-7:38, instead of my typical two hours) evening commute count last night from my usual spot. I don't know if it was because I was checking at the tail end of the commute, or the availability of CPOs has really changed the distribution since the last time I did this, but FWIW here's the totals I remember (don't have the tally sheet handy):

Volt, 11
Model S, 11
LEAF, 7
PiP, 4
Fusion Energy, 3
i3 w/REx, 2
i8, 1
500e, 1
C-Max, 1
Rav4, 1
e-Golf, 1

Might have missed a Smart ED or two and a Fusion Energy; my view was blocked so I couldn't I.D. for certain. No Sparks, Fits or B-class last night.

LeftieBiker said:

There is a second "gas tank door" for the charging port on the right rear of the car, on the side opposite the gas fill door. The door handles are also flat grey, and there is a badge or two that identifies it as a Plug-In. <snip>
The recharging port door is round and body-colored, and has a chrome-colored opening tab at the nine o'clock position. The word "Plug-In" appears just above "Hybrid" on both front fenders. There's a 'chrome' plastic trim strip rather than the dark or body-colored one on the regular Prius, running across the top of the front lower grill, partially masked by the front license plate and frame if present, and a similar-colored strip across the base of the rear window; these latter are obvious I.D. marks from front or rear unless the car is silver metallic, when they blend right in. Once you know what to look for, the PiP is easy to I.D. from any angle (other than the silver metallic as noted). See https://www.google.com/search?q=prius+plug-in&rlz=1CASMAD_enUS658US658&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAkQ_AUoA2oVChMIy__3yIaEyAIVCCuICh06lwXI&biw=1280&bih=689

Back