How many different EV cars were tried before buying the Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrradon

I tried the MiEV, Leaf, Tesla Roadster, Fisker Karma, Prius PI. I decided to get the Leaf. However, the Tesla was pretty sweet.

For ICE-free electric drive vehicles I'd driven the AC Propulsion eBox (Scion XB conversion) and the GM HydroGen4 (Chevy Equinox H2) before the Leaf. I'd also driven the Volt since my dad took delivery of his a few months before I got my Leaf. I'd been a passenger in Tesla Roadsters, RAV4 EVs, and a Honda EV+ (after it was converted to H2 though, not plug-in).

Mini E. Such a sweet, quick little ride, it hooked me. I reserved a LEAF ordering opportunity based on the Mini E drive, though I certainly didn't expect the LEAF to perform as well, and it doesn't. Still love it though, and it's worlds more practical than the Mini E, with only 2 seats and a battery box in place of everything else.

Before I actually committed to buy the LEAF, I was able to drive the following at Alt Car Expo in Santa Monica in October of 2010: LEAF, Volt, converted Mini from LiIon Motors (crazy dangerous quick), Mercedes Fuel Cell B Class, rode in a Coda prototype.

surfingslovak said:
eHelmholtz said:
smkettner said:
None. I committed to LEAF sight unseen and undriven.
Same here - and it is the first and only new car purchase I've ever made.
Likewise! It was a significant leap of faith, I might add.

Add me to that list. I feel like I really lucked out as the interior and comforts could have well fallen below my standards, but I ordered sight unseen and have no regrets.

I got to drive the leaf in two of nissan's drive events. The first one was a surprise trip when I visited in my parents in Austin from my wife (so sweet...i was so excited!). Never got to drive any other plug-ins. Have ALWAYS wanted to drive or ride in a Tesla Roadster... :cool:

I had driven and also ridden in several home-built EVs before the Leaf. I also used to have a converted Prius that was an aftermarket PHEV. I drove that for a year. None of those could hold a candle to the Leaf, though.

I forgot a few years back I got to ride in my friends 1998 Ford Ranger EV and a home built Honda CRV Electric car.

Since none but the Leaf and Tesla were available when I ordered and when I took delivery much later, it was a pretty easy decision for me... Loved the Tesla but not the price... I didn't consider any vehicles that were conversions or "beta tests..."

mrradon said:
I tried the MiEV, Leaf, Tesla Roadster, Fisker Karma, Prius PI. I decided to get the Leaf. However, the Tesla was pretty sweet.

bought the Leaf on trust and love it.
first time I saw it was on the dealer lot the day I went to purchase.
i was surprised at how big it was.

love my leaf, which was rear-ended last night on the freeway.
hope it is fixable. I would consider the Ford, as it is now available, if the Leaf cannot be fixed.

None. Like I tell dealers, I was going to buy the first full electric production vehicle for sale in my area. Whichever company did it first was going to get my purchase. I did however just test drive a Volt. I still prefer the Leaf and looking forward with much anticipation to delivery at the end of the month.

My first car was an EV that my dad and I converted from a 1982 Dodge Rampage. I rode in an EV-1, but never got to drive one. If it wasn't for the fact that the old Rampage needs a new battery pack, and isn't kid friendly (no back seat, no AC), I might still be driving it!

Commercial cars: Tesla Roadster
Prototypes: World Solar Challenge race car (12 years ago) and Ford Hybrid Electric Challenge car (20 years ago)

We bought the LEAF sight unseen, definitely a step of faith considering that we live high up in a mountain area. Our only prior electric driving experience was in a regular Prius, in which I tried to hone the art of mostly draining the little battery prior to descents with significant regen, thus keeping the engine off as much as possible. That technique, coupled with pulse and glide, yielded 65+ mpg on 38 mile roundtrips from our home to Big Bear Lake in the mountains. The LEAF is much more fun to drive than the Prius, though I have to say I like the firmer, less-boosted steering on the Prius better.

thankyouOB said:
love my leaf, which was rear-ended last night on the freeway.
hope it is fixable. I would consider the Ford, as it is now available, if the Leaf cannot be fixed.
Sorry to hear that. Hope you are okay. Cars can be replaced, though hopefully the damage to yours turns out to not be so bad.

Back