How is B drive mode actuated

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roperld

How is the B drive mode actuated in the 2013 LEAF? I see in a picture of the drive-mode shifter that the lower position is labeled D/B instead of the old D/ECO.

How does B mode even work? Is it a physical change to the motor or transmission or is it simply a software reprogramming of the existing system?

And what about existing models? What in the world happens when you drive a Leaf down a mountain? Without a low gear how do existing models handle downhill?

D mode, you get a little Regen with foot off the pedals.
ECO mode, you get some more, but not a lot.

If you need more Regen, and the battery is not too full
to accept more charge, you press the Brake pedal to get
more Regen and an increasing amount of disc brake slowing.

If the battery is "too full", the disc brakes are basically all you're got.

roperld said:
Does B drive mode only act when decelerating without braking?

It works just like ECO mode, except it doesn't screw with your gas pedal or the climate control. It is merely "Brake Assist", which is really just more regen.

To turn it on, just pull back on the shifter like you're going to ECO.

ECO is now on the steering wheel, if you care to use that.

One goofy feature in the Toyota Rav4 and Prius in B mode is that the car cannot engage cruise control. I hope that same "feature" isn't present on LEAF.

As I understand it B mode gives more regen than ECO mode but does not reduce acceleration, whereas ECO does both but not as much regen as B mode. If in B mode does pressing the ECO button on the steering wheel just add in reduced acceleration to the enhanced regen of B mode?

roperld said:
As I understand it B mode gives more regen than ECO mode but does not reduce acceleration, whereas ECO does both but not as much regen as B mode. If in B mode does pressing the ECO button on the steering wheel just add in reduced acceleration to the enhanced regen of B mode?
ECO does not reduce acceleration on today's LEAF. It only remaps the A-pedal so that higher acceleration is more concentrated at the bottom of the pedal travel. If you mash it to the floor you get the same acceleration in either mode.

I'm only guessing about your question, as I haven't driven a 2013, but I assume adding ECO would remap the pedal and reduce the maximum kW draw for the heater, just as it does today. (Caveat: Today the defrost button ignores the 1.5kW limit imposed by ECO. My guess is that override will continue to apply but, again, I don't know.)

Incidentally, putting B on the steering wheel sounds to me like a great improvement. With my current LEAF my wife keeps giving me puzzled looks as she watches me shifting in and out of ECO to control regen. I'm just bummed that B won't be available at all on the S model, which has most other features I really want.

Ray

Back