How entusiastic are you, now that some days have gone by ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been over a week now, 300+ miles, the car is fairly filthy on the outside with the Oregon liquid sunshine mucking up the back end of the car, and it is just absolutely beautiful. Still can't seem to wipe that EV Grin off my face, so I guess the short answer would be my response when people ask if I like it. NO, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!! Oops! Sorry, didn't mean to yell :lol:

WWBD said:
2 weeks and and I still really love it. I do wish that it got noticed more though.

People are starting to notice a bit more, or I'm noticing people noticing more. Either way. A couple in a CNG Civic were rubber-necking as they passed me on the freeway Wednesday, but then they were probably environmentally inclined. Then today a guy in a Mercedes gave me a thumbs-up, and a lady in a Mercury marquis wanted me to roll down my window and chat with her while we were stopped at a signal.

tps said:
mwalsh said:
a lady in a Mercury marquis wanted me to roll down my window and chat with her while we were stopped at a signal.
Maybe the LEAF is a babe magnet! :)

Yes a babe magnet but eco-chick babes, they dont shave their legs or armpits.. after a while you get used to it :D

http://eco-chick.com

After driving the LEAF pretty much exclusively for the past three weeks, I drove our new-model Honda Insight about 350 miles yesterday. What a difference in drive quality. The Insight seemed heavy compared to the LEAF. It felt like the tires were sticking to the road -- so much so that I checked the tire pressure.

The LEAF drives so effortlessly compared to the ICE-Hybrid. When driving the Insight, I'll take off from a stop very slowly in order to use less gas. But in the LEAF, I just hit the go-pedal until I'm where I want to be in traffic and then ease off of it.

Man, I'm ENJOYING driving again!

Yes, it is kind of amazing when you realize that it's OK to consume an easily renewable fuel. The LEAF is so quick and smooth you really should feel guilty stepping on it. But you dont! Its that lack of guilt that feels so good! Free at last!!!

I still love it after 500 miles. My wife says this is the most excited I've ever been about a new car.

I don't see why so many people baby this car. It's a fun and peppy car to drive and doesn't consume any gas or pollute, so I step on it when the light turns green and cruise down the freeway at 75 with the AC blasting in the 110 degree heat. Ok, so instead of 2 cents a mile I'm paying 3 cents. Big whoop. It's still way cheaper than 20 cents per mile or more with my other cars.

I have only a 42 mile round-trip commute but I still charge it to 100% every time. Don't you do that with your Li-Ion phones and cameras and laptops? I lease, so maybe that's why I don't care about battery longevity. Even so, I don't think 80% vs 100% is going to matter much.

after all this time the only real complaint i hear about the Leaf is deceptive lease practices by dealerships who are padding the lease terms to get more money. that is also the only reason i have seen from anyone who ordered and did not complete the deal.

as for me; 6000 miles and not an oil change in sight!!

1,500 miles over 7 weeks, and I like it so much I am reconsidering the necessity of the "ICE back up car" for longer trips. By next spring, my car for longer drives will probably be the (occasional) rental.

I've driven an ICEV only once since I entered my own BEV era, and I felt like an idiot buying gas on that day, 5 weeks ago. Later this week I plant to start the cars and truck ONLY long enough to warm them up and check them out, to keep them in drivable condition.

Why am I paying registration and insurance on these relics?

After almost 3,000 miles, my enthusiasm has only deepened. This car does what it was designed to do, it fills the vast majority of our driving needs! It's fun to drive and mind bogglingly economical...comparable to getting 200 mpg's in a similar gas car, no joke!

Nissan has proven that there is a way to drastically reduce our dependence on foreign oil and at quite a savings, and this is just the beginning!!!!
G

I have my leaf for two weeks now and still loving it. When I drove the "gas" car, I was surprised and annoyed at how noisy it was. I was also annoyed that I spent at least $30 of gas to drive it.

3rd week, 750+ miles.

I _love_ driving it. My wife loves driving it.
If fact, I like it so much, that i try and do some of my work trips (I am an organic beekeeper) with the leaf.
Problem is that 1 run is ok, but if you want to combine 2 or more, I really need to go more miles on one battery charge.
Given the fact you need to have work done etc, 160 miles on a full charge but be enough (for me).
That's the only downside I have so far. And of course the fact that I miss some of my regular tools like A frame ladders etc which fit only on my ICE truck ;-)

I leased my leaf. I hope in 3 years we have so much to choose from that range is not an issue any more.
It's great to be part of the new way of driving!

Danny

My enthusiasm is still high, and I have put over 3000 miles on the car. At first I was hesitant to push the range, using it only to commute - loving the fast acceleration and ability to speed past all the other ICE cars being fuel conscious. Now I feel my hesitation was unfounded and if I have the time to travel a long distance, I have the time to take it easy on the accelerator and make the trip for one fifth or less the cost of an ICE. For instance, a 70 mile trip at 70+ miles per hour can be done in my ICE, or my Leaf. In the ICE it would cost about 3 gallons of gas, or a little less than 12 dollars. To return it would cost about the same. With the Leaf, I can get there for less than 3 dollars, and return for free, charging at the destination which has no issues with me getting a charge on them.

So, 24 dollars or 3 dollars (6 if I do pay for the charge at the other end)? It does take a little more time (I allow an extra half hour although I will likely only need about 15 minutes of it), but I get the joy of untravelled back roads. Historic route 66 is in my backyard, and I would love to see it revived as an electric avenue! I would rather spend that 21 dollars I save on a good ma and pa type meal, than on an oil company.

edatoakrun said:
1,500 miles over 7 weeks, and I like it so much I am reconsidering the necessity of the "ICE back up car" for longer trips. By next spring, my car for longer drives will probably be the (occasional) rental.

I've driven an ICEV only once since I entered my own BEV era, and I felt like an idiot buying gas on that day, 5 weeks ago. Later this week I plant to start the cars and truck ONLY long enough to warm them up and check them out, to keep them in drivable condition.

Why am I paying registration and insurance on these relics?
My plan is to trade in my current ICE car a the LEAF will be my only car! Right now my situation is exactly the opposite. Since I'm in the "forgotten 36", I have to drive the ICE every day and be "satisfied" with occasionally renting the Hertz LEAF... Mainly renting a LEAF just makes my anticipation of owning one greater.

And to think, Carlos Ghosn has stated we will see double the battery capacity in "four or five" years. Imagine an EPA rated LEAF at 146 miles and more charging stations than there are today. :D

I am more enthusiastic now than when I got my Leaf 3 weeks ago. After a quick break-in period (of me, not the Leaf), everything is automatic. Relaxed driving on pure (green) electricity. Takes 30 seconds in the morning to unplug, 30 seconds in the evening to plug in. Charges middle of the night for a few hours. I did take the ICE car out for a backpacking trip in the Sierra last week. It sounded so loud and rough that I am going to take it in to have it checked; may just be the contrast between the 2 cars.

+1 to what Stoaty said.

The car does have a lot of bells and whistles I won't be using very much; but it is really an amazing machine for going 80-90mi from point A to point B. I've replaced the wimpy horn, removed the large "zero emission" decals, installed floor mats, rear bumper protector, personalized license plates. I still need to do splash guards (waiting for the price to come down), and side mouldings. I only charge during "super off peak" to 80%, with the Leaf timer.

I find myself more and more excited the more I drive my new leaf.

I think the excitement increases after you actually purchase the leaf.

It is so much fun, handles superb, and it really is quiet.

I can't say enough about how much we like this car !!!

Can you say No More Gas...

Back