How do you run high tire psi without tripping TPS sensor?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
knightmb said:
Just curious to what others experience here when running high psi to help with hyper-miling. :mrgreen:
With the Bridgestone Ecopias the higher pressure isn't for hypermiling, it is to avoid early failure.
The Nissan pressure recommendation is too low, and the alignment setting given is poor.

I keep mine in the 40 to 43 psi range.
Have not experienced high pressure alarm.

Ditto here. If you have LeafSpy, what does it report for pressure? Have you checked the pressure with a different gauge?

philip said:

Ditto here. If you have LeafSpy, what does it report for pressure? Have you checked the pressure with a different gauge?
Currently, I keep them at 38 psi cold and while driving, they get up to 42 psi. Before I lowered it, I keep the cold pressure at 40 psi and when I drove them on a hot day, the psi would reach 44 psi and the tps sensor would trip. At first I thought it was from an air leak, but I keep a separate tire pressure meter and all tires report the same 44 psi (none were low).

I just ignored the warning (which sucks because it would be useful if the tires did have a leak) until I figured out that the high psi was triping the sensor warning. So I lowered all tires by just 2 psi and the no more warnings on hot days. I had no idea LeafSpy could see tire psi, will have to check that the next time the warning happens. Will probably have to inflate the tires to 40 psi cold again to get this to happen before I can check the readings.

odd, my TPMS isn't complaining about the 50+ PSI my tires are at. (sidewall max on these tires is 51)

Maybe pump them to 44 and get the dealer to reset the TPMS?

If you have an ODBII tool and leafspy Pro I think you can reset it from your phone but I'm not sure as I only use the regular leafspy.

Last time leafspy talked to my TPMS it said my pressures were

although I have no idea which tire is which in the TPMS order. I know that I set the front tires higher pressure than the rears but I'm not sure if that is my left rear or right rear that is the lowest tire.

I guess I could jack the car up and take a tire off, carry it out of range, then go back to the car to see which one disappears.

dhanson865 said:
... I guess I could jack the car up and take a tire off, carry it out of range, then go back to the car to see which one disappears.
Will only work if the tire is spun to make the sensor activate.

TimLee said:
dhanson865 said:
... I guess I could jack the car up and take a tire off, carry it out of range, then go back to the car to see which one disappears.
Will only work if the tire is spun to make the sensor activate.

So you drive the car to have all of them active, Park the car and take one tire out of range. Leaving 3 active and within range.

The question is can I get a tire off and out of range before the other 3 go to sleep?

Well I think I can take a tire off in less than the 10 minutes it will take them to go to sleep.

The other option if it goes to sleep too fast would be to over inflate or under inflate one of the rear tires and use that to identify it. But where is the fun in that? And besides if I have a 50% chance of hitting the wrong tire I then have to adjust the tire pressure in two tires not one, since my goal is to equalize the rear tires at a desired set point.

Michelin P215/50R17 Energy saver A/S on a 13 SL max sidewall rating of 44 psi , 40 cold and 44 hot measured with leaf spy and air gauge , TPMS works normally on both.

knightmb said:
As the subject says, I noticed that when my tire pressure approaches 44 psi (max the tire is rated for), the TPS sensor goes off. I know the TPS is useful to warn against low tire pressure, but how are people running +45 psi in their tires without the constant nag of the TPS sensor warning? Just removing the TPS sensor all-together? I usually run my tires around 38 psi to avoid this (as when it gets hot during the day, the tires seem to gain another 4 or 5 psi from the heat).

Just curious to what others experience here when running high psi to help with hyper-miling. :mrgreen:

I'm going to assume with all of us not seeing your issue that one of these apply

1. Your TPMS is triggering because a tire really is out of range
2. Your TPMS is simply confused because a battery on one of the sensors is low
3. Your TPMS is confused because the cars 12v battery is low and that causes the dash to do odd things.
4. Your TPMS is just confused and nothing is physically wrong

If you have a voltage meter and are handy with it knock out number 3 first. If it is low toss it on a CTEK 3300 or similar.

If the 12v isn't low test the tires with 3 different gauges and if you don't see the outlier it's time to reset the TPMS sensors and hope that fixes it long term. If it still doesn't work time to check the batteries in the TPMS sensors and possibly replace one or more TPMS sensor(s).

Cause 2 and 4 both involve mucking around with resetting the TPMS system as a whole and training the car to look for the sensors again. Not a simple fun process on it's own, worse if you start having to demount tires to replace parts.

I've been driving 4 yrs with 44-45 PSI in all 4 tires on my 2011 with original Ecopia tires; and I've never had a tps alarm except one time when I had a screw in a tire, with resultant low pressure.

Is it possible that Nissan changed the firmware in 2015 to also alarm when the pressure is too high? My 2006 Prius will trigger the TPMS lamp if I inflate the tires too much, which I did not know until my wife and I drove to PA last year. I topped off the tires before we left, 44psi by the compressor gauge, only to have the lamp come on after ~100 miles. I stopped at a Tire Kingdom, since they are the ones that had mounted them, waited 2 hours or more for someone to look at it, only to be told that I had ~50 psi in each tire. It turns out that the gauge on my compressor was bad, reading 5-6psi low.
I take it from the OP's join date that he might have a 2015. Does anyone else here with a 2015 run high pressure without an issue?

dhanson865 said:
odd, my TPMS isn't complaining about the 50+ PSI my tires are at. (sidewall max on these tires is 51)

Maybe pump them to 44 and get the dealer to reset the TPMS?

If you have an ODBII tool and leafspy Pro I think you can reset it from your phone but I'm not sure as I only use the regular leafspy.

Last time leafspy talked to my TPMS it said my pressures were

although I have no idea which tire is which in the TPMS order. I know that I set the front tires higher pressure than the rears but I'm not sure if that is my left rear or right rear that is the lowest tire.

I guess I could jack the car up and take a tire off, carry it out of range, then go back to the car to see which one disappears.

A much better/simpler solution would be to let a bunch of air (maybe 5 PSI or so) out of one of your tires. See which of numbers on Leafspy goes down. Then fill 'er back up.

I have been running 45 psi since the car was new.
They are filled with nitrogen not air because the whole seasonal /temperature/pressure thing drives me nuts.
(not because I'm cool or anything, but because I have free access to a nitrogen tank :D 0

Never had a trip from the TPS for overpressure.

I moved the TPS sensors into the Juke wheels when I changed the wheels / tires.
I put the OEM wheels and tires back on for a service appointment once , and the TPS system didn't like the missing sensors, so I know the system is working.

dhanson865 said:
knightmb said:
As the subject says, I noticed that when my tire pressure approaches 44 psi (max the tire is rated for), the TPS sensor goes off. I know the TPS is useful to warn against low tire pressure, but how are people running +45 psi in their tires without the constant nag of the TPS sensor warning? Just removing the TPS sensor all-together? I usually run my tires around 38 psi to avoid this (as when it gets hot during the day, the tires seem to gain another 4 or 5 psi from the heat).

I'm going to assume with all of us not seeing your issue that one of these apply

1. Your TPMS is triggering because a tire really is out of range
2. Your TPMS is simply confused because a battery on one of the sensors is low
3. Your TPMS is confused because the cars 12v battery is low and that causes the dash to do odd things.
4. Your TPMS is just confused and nothing is physically wrong
Was able to eliminate #1, and #3

Have not had the ability to check #2 and #4 could also be a possibility.

I am increasing the tire pressure 1 psi a day just to see if I hit a trip point. So far I am back up to 40 psi now, no issues. Granted, it has been raining and cloudy now for a few days so the outside temperature is not as high, but I'll keep inching it up until something does or does not happen. :mrgreen:

I have been running 44 psi cold on my 2015 since I pumped them up as soon as I got home from the dealer and have had no TPMS alarms. Tires have been reaching over 50 psi hot the past few days (115 degrees F at the airport yesterday) without causing TPMS alarms.

Gerry

KillaWhat said:
They are filled with nitrogen not air because the whole seasonal /temperature/pressure thing drives me nuts. ...
But nitrogen does not eliminate the seasonal /temperature/pressure thing.
Does reduce the pressure variation from moisture and reduces the rate that tires naturally lose pressure to 1/3 to 1/4 of that with air.
But you still have to deal with the need for seasonal adjustment.

Interesting Surprise.

With my 2011 Leaf I never had any kind of tire warning until recently.

When I started the car, A tire symbol with the words "Tire Maintenance" would pop up (intermittently, not every time). It would go away after I started driving. I took a glance at the tires and did not see any tire that looked low. I kept thinking I would check the manual or stop by my tire place ( Discount Tire) and find out what it meant.

After a week or so I took a closer look at all my tires and found a solid bolt/screw directly in the middle of the tread on one of my tires! I had been driving around with it, but with no air leak.

After I discovered the bolt/screw I took it to Discount Tires and they removed it and plugged the hole. As I said it was a solid piece of metal about an inch long and about almost a quarter inch in diameter.

Started driving around and the message never appeared again! Some how the car system knew?!

P.s. I run my tires close to 44psi and have never had any high pressure warning.

Back