How do people own and drive a Leaf in Central California?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seeing as how you're talking about two years from now, when you'll probably have a lot more options in both # of QCs in the Valley and affordable BEVs with longer range, I wouldn't waste much sweat worrying about it. Right now, a Kia Soul EV (or judging by Tony Williams' range test, maybe a VW e-Golf, although that lacks any cooling) would be the best option for your needs at a LEAF-like price, but we expect that affordable BEV ranges will increase considerably by 2017. For that matter, a 2016 or 2017 Volt would get you one way to work in most conditions on the battery, and if you've got workplace charging it would get you home too. Personally, getting the last nth % wouldn't be worth it to me if I had to buy a car now, and I'd happily go for the 80% solution. As it is, I can almost certainly keep my current car until some BEV/FCV/PHFCEV comes along that meets my needs and budget.

GRA said:
Seeing as how you're talking about two years from now, when you'll probably...

Well, actually I forgot to change the original post (I've now changed it). I'm moving there in April/May of 2015. I decided to get my Leaf transported out there instead of waiting for my lease to be up.

And now my dad lives in Hanford. Sorry for the misinformation.

But, of course thank you for the info.

TimLee said:
Your last sentence is correct.
Just a model year change thing.
All 2015 forward have the heat resistant battery.
You just leased about four to six weeks too soon to get a 2015.

I know :| I thought I missed it, since months after I got my Leaf people/websites started talking about the "Lizard" pack. I wasn't sure if it would have been rolled out for hot regions or what. That Q&A Discussion I watched with Andy Palmer (in Arizona) was quite confusing on that, not a lot of details as to when it would be rolled out or where.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuPQe23vP0Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I decided to lease in May of 2014 because that was a great time to lock in a Leaf, so I just had to. Nissan was offering $700 in Rebates and then I had the $7,500 Federal Tax Credit for a total of $8,200. That brought the MSRP down substantially. Unlike California, Washington, and or Oregon; Ohio/Michigan doesn't have any Tax Credits or Rebates. So the $8,200 in rebates seemed pretty good to me.

I had heard that the 2013/2014 chemistry does somewhat better in the heat.

Oh, well. I can't very well do much now.

electriccarfan said:
I had heard that the 2013/2014 chemistry does somewhat better in the heat...
It is possible that the 2014 LEAFs had the lizard battery but that Nissan didn't want to start talking about it until the 2015 MY when they had some data on how they were holding up out in the wild.

Yes, that is speculation, but it seems increasingly apparent that later 2013 and 2014 LEAFs are holding up in heat better than the 2011/2012 LEAFs did. And that may be because they were using the lizard chemistry.

On the subject of using QC locations to stretch your range, be aware of the possibility that the chargers might be broken or in use. What is your "plan B" if the station you are counting on is unavailable? Until there is considerable redundancy in QC stations, they can be a risk to rely on.

That's a good point. I will have to be sure to have a backup in case something like that happens. I guess I'd have to find an L2 nearby (I think most of the QC have L2s nearby, such as dealerships). If nothing else I'll have to wait my turn and or find an alternative charger if out of service.

I will be sure to remember that though, as I've seen others on Plugshare complain about chargers being damaged or long lineups. I think once the QC density increases it should ease up a little. I hope eVgo gets those Freedom Chargers in sometime soon (in the Central Valley).

electriccarfan said:
Although, I do worry about what you guys call "The Grapevine". I here that sucks down a lot of range.
Looks like this guy did it, and in a 2011 no less (which is odd because his info says he's got an iMiEV).

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=4901" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But, if he can do it I may also be able to.

It's only 35 miles from the Lebec Flying J to Nissan of Valencia. It's doable, but the steep grade will use up the charge at an alarming rate. You will need to keep your speed down.

You may seriously want to consider hanging out with the truckers in the far right lane rather than doing the typical 80 MPH (yes people drive UP The Grapevine at 80 while truckers a lane or two over are struggling to maintain half that speed).

There are a couple of frontage roads you can take to help preserve range by being able to safely go slower than freeway traffic. The first exit after you begin to climb the hill is exit 210 (Ft. Tejon State Park), if you exit here, go north again along the frontage road, and cross over the freeway, you will end up on Lebec Rd which eventually will take you to the Flying J. From there, take the frontage road (now called Peace Valley Rd) into Gorman, cross under the freeway, and turn right onto Gorman Post Road, which parallels I-5 to as far as Highway 138. (Staying on Peace Valley Rd between Gorman and exit 198/Quail Lake Rd is more direct but there is an unpaved stretch).

Unfortunately at Highway 138 you'll need to find your way west to I5. There is no continuous parallel paved frontage road between there and exit 176 (Lake Hughes Road); a major section of it today lies under Lake Pyramid.

Back