How disappointed should I be that Nissan did not include liquid battery cooling on the Leaf E-Plus?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought this was helpful, but it was early days and there didn't seem to be anything (AFAIK) for the Model S and for later Leafs, in terms of study papers or data that shows climate impact in a clear way. I've emailed to them, not requesting necessarily they issue more study papers, but that they see if maybe they can add a feature to their charts pages that will show data as pertains to climate.

https://survey.pluginamerica.org/leaf/Leaf-Battery-Survey.pdf
Plug In America’s LEAF Battery Survey
by Tom Saxton
Updated: December 27, 2012

Conclusions
Of 240 LEAFs reported in the survey, with a median of 11,600 miles driven, 90.8% are still showing all 12
capacity bars, meaning they are within 15% of nominal full capacity. Subjectively, 76.3% of owners
believe they have lost no more than a few miles of range.
Of the data collected and analyzed thus far in the Plug In America LEAF Battery Survey, by far the
strongest indicator of premature battery capacity loss is the owner’s local climate conditions, specifically
cars that have lost enough capacity to be visible on the car’s dashboard capacity display are nearly all in
hot-weather climates.
Not every car in a hot climate is seeing battery capacity degradation, and this study does not yet have
enough information to determine what fraction of cars are affected. Data collected on the MNL forums
suggest that at least 11.8% of the LEAFs in Arizona are affected5
. Perhaps most hot-climate cars are losing
capacity at a higher rate than cars in more moderate climates, or perhaps only a small portion of the cars are
susceptible to hot weather-related capacity loss. If it’s the later case, it could be differences in driver habits
or conditions, or it could be a manufacturing issue. The root cause cannot be determined without more data,
either from more owners participating in the survey and using aftermarket state-of-charge meters, or from
Nissan providing more data to the user community.
The high mileage vehicles in the survey thus far show that the Nissan LEAF is capable of considerable
driving before losing enough capacity to drop the first capacity bar. This would seem to bode well for
LEAFs that are not having the problems seen in some hot-climate vehicles.
The Battery Information Sheet that LEAF owners are supposed to receive when they have their annual
service done has potentially significant educational potential. If presented and explained by a
knowledgeable technician, this report can serve as a method to educate owners on best practices for
maintaining the health and capacity of their battery pack. Although the effect of doing well on the report is
apparently too small to be measured by this survey, Plug In America recommends that LEAF owners be
aware of the issues and follow them as much as is convenient in their use of the vehicle by avoiding habits
that have little benefit to the owner and potentially contribute to battery pack degradation.

https://survey.pluginamerica.org/tesla-roadster/PIA-Roadster-Battery-Study.pdf
Plug In America’s
Tesla Roadster Battery Study
by Tom Saxton, Chief Science Officer
Released: July 13, 2013

Conclusions
The projections from the various data sets studied suggest that Roadster batteries will be
at 80% to 85% capacity after 100,000 miles, on average. Stated another way, the study
shows an average loss of about 3.7 ideal miles of range (1.6%) per 10,000 miles driven.
As there is considerable variation among vehicles with similar mileage, an individual
owner’s experience may vary significantly from the average.
The survey found no significant correlation between climate and battery pack longevity.
Individual experience may vary. The survey data for high-mileage vehicles is sparse with
little variation in climate among those vehicles, so it’s possible an effect from climate
will emerge as more data is collected.
The survey found no significant correlation between vehicle age and battery pack
longevity, although the study has no data on the first year of use, nor use beyond 4.5
years.
The calculated amp-hour capacity is the most reliable measure of battery pack capacity. It
would be a benefit if this value were readily visible to Roadster owners.
It’s curious that Tesla does not offer any sort of warranty on battery pack capacity, not
previously as part of a new Roadster purchase, not as part of the extended warranty they
are now offering Roadster owners as their warranties expire, and not even to Model S
owners despite the purported improvement in battery chemistry and corresponding
increase in both time and miles on the Model S battery warranty.

golfcart said:
[...]

It just is what it is, they have managed to consistently be the cheapest initial cost EV option offered nationally. It is certainly possible they've killed their reputation with parts of the EV enthusiast community due to degradation issues, but it probably won't matter once EVs become more mainstream in the next 5 years (my personal prediction).

Sure, I guess we'll see. To a decent extent, I may agree on this particular prediction.

WetEV said:
I'd prefer a passively cooled BEV. I know, down market and not elitist. Go ahead and make fun. There are good reasons why other people would want other things. I get that. But there are good reasons why I would prefer a passively cooled BEV.

A passively cooled BEV is simpler and more reliable. Yes, there is a trade-off, probably more expensive to operate in hot places. And slower while driving long range with multiple DCQCs.

A passively cooled BEV is safer. Keep water away from the batteries. Yes, an actively cooled BEV is safer than a gasoline car.

A passive cooling system isn't an "Achilles Heel", it is a design decision. A trade-off between competing goals.

I have different goals that you do. And different circumstances. I'd like to make my own choices.
OK and some might like an ICE with no oil changes. Maybe add a couple quarts to the pan capacity and a large filter and seal it up. It will probably run great for 80,000 miles before a new ICE is needed. Probably less than $8,500 and all is new again. Really?

smkettner said:
OK and some might like an ICE with no oil changes. Maybe add a couple quarts to the pan capacity and a large filter and seal it up. It will probably run great for 80,000 miles before a new ICE is needed. Probably less than $8,500 and all is new again. Really?
:lol:

WetEV said:
Not everyone is the same as you.

Not everyone wants the things you want.

I'd prefer a passively cooled BEV. I know, down market and not elitist. Go ahead and make fun. There are good reasons why other people would want other things. I get that. But there are good reasons why I would prefer a passively cooled BEV.

A passively cooled BEV is simpler and more reliable. Yes, there is a trade-off, probably more expensive to operate in hot places. And slower while driving long range with multiple DCQCs.

A passively cooled BEV is safer. Keep water away from the batteries. Yes, an actively cooled BEV is safer than a gasoline car.

A passive cooling system isn't an "Achilles Heel", it is a design decision. A trade-off between competing goals.

I have different goals that you do. And different circumstances. I'd like to make my own choices.

Thanks,

I agree with the points as to some of the concerns with liquid coolant vehicles. Whether the coolant is water or something else, the potential concerns include safety and complexity/cost. As an aside that I have made at least once before, I'm curious as to what is being done by various manufacturers to investigate some sort of solid-state cooling (and energy harvesting) though it's known to be inefficient so maybe it just inherently is not that useful for pack cooling.

I do have a question for anyone who may have knowledge of this as to empirical evidence of the extent to which frequency of exposure to hotter conditions tends to increase degradation (and in which chemistries and architectures). That is, if a vehicle spends a portion of its life in an area with average temperatures at what might be called "moderate" levels, but with higher frequency of spikes upward than other areas with similar average levels, then what does the evidence say (depending on the various factors) as to increased degradation?

I've seen you write:

"...As for keeping an EV longer than the battery warranty, I'm past the battery warranty, have about 90% capacity and all bars. People in moderate climates, most of the USA, should be able to exceed the warranty easily. Hot climates like Phoenix are the risky place: if you just miss the warranty too bad, if you just hit the warranty you should be good to go for another warranty period...."
To what degree does your opinion take into account the differences in extremes in various places deemed "moderate"? And what is the best way to define "moderate"?

I'm not sure we agree as a matter of degree the extent to which an air-cooled vehicle, once placed in the marketplace, will be vulnerable to venturing outside its comfort zone.

I affirm the principle that different customers and potential customers have different wants and needs. I'm not fully clear as to why you seem to be projecting onto me a different point of view on this, but when businesses serve a group of customers, they have to make choices about which of those wants and needs to try to serve with the most effort, or they can make a choice to try to serve all perceived wants and needs in some way that is equal. Different companies within a business make different choices and define the groups differently. All of that seems fine.

However, I think we have some of our disagreement in mulling over whether Nissan made (in the past) the right engineering compromise decisions (whether right is defined as "for Nissan", "for some customers" or both) and whether it is doing so now, and, once those decisions are made, whether it is making the right decisions in how it then presents the product to customers. Perhaps, for example, if it knows or strongly suspects that the latest iteration of its cooling will not hold up well in some of the hotter areas, maybe, as a matter of customer satisfaction, it should decline to sell the vehicle into those markets. Or, maybe the right decision is to go ahead and sell it, but with a much different marketing campaign, and different warranty terms. I don't know that different warranty terms would be legal. Are federal warranty terms necessarily homogeneous and does this make it more difficult in product development to make engineering cost/benefit compromise decisions that are focused only on some climates?

Separately, I think that there may be matters in business where, adding everything up, it is simply not a good idea (regardless of considerations as to which customer group is being served) to make a particular engineering compromise. [[edited]: In this case, I thought Nissan's decision in the past to go with air cooling was on that line of being generally debatable regardless of target customer. As to now, about six years later, I'm wary, and question if it is still generally debatable.[/edited]]

Still, to be sure, upon re-consideration, perhaps I have incorrectly downplayed some aspects in this matter and it does indeed seem worth explicitly acknowledging and saying that from the point of view of customers who don't want the expense and (in their view) not very useful feature of having liquid cooling built in, then it is good from their point of view to see EV companies offering the less expensive, less complex tech.

It is inherently a somewhat complex topic in some ways (IMO) and so there are some qualifiers to this -
1) vehicles are re-sold throughout the country and so it raises the question of knowing what you are buying. Do you want a Leaf that spent years in hotter portions of Texas but then ended up in North Dakota? Or do you at least want to be advised accurately of its earlier days?
2) what is the mileage and previous climate experience of a battery pack. I just spoke to an industry participant on this point. In the old days, it may have been easier to roll back odometers on gasoline cars. What measures can be taken to prevent the equivalent of illegal odometer rollback in battery packs.... i.e.: so that used buyers have full transparency.
3) once a vehicle is released into the wild, the use-case, even within a single-owner household, may change and (for example) it may be driven more frequently on long trips leading to more frequent quick-charging and thus to some need to be concerned about engineering to address the heat questions.

smkettner said:
WetEV said:

Regardless of whether this analogy is completely good, IMO this helps illustrate that a big part of the question here or debate here is whether failure to include liquid cooling amounts to crossing a line of poor judgment on the part of the automaker. I don't know if it does.

Regarding my desire to see higher prices if that's what the manufacturers think they need to apply in order to make money, I was glad to see this. It seemed to be more of a pricing scale for a limited edition sort of thing, but good to see in isolation. (More broadly, it seems unlikely in many cases, but if many of these limited edition vehicles experienced degradation to the point where the owners thought their expectations were not met, in such relatively expensive Leafs, then it could lead to another black eye for Nissan or even the industry, depending on the situation.)

https://insideevs.com/nissan-announces-leaf-e-price-europe-japan/

"...In the case of Europe, Nissan announced two Limited Edition versions for “old” and new version:
LEAF 3.ZERO (40 kWh) – from €39,900 (orders now, deliveries from May)
LEAF 3.ZERO e+ (62 kWh) – from €45,500 (orders now, deliveries from Summer)..."

smkettner said:
OK and some might... Really?

I can't see a reason why someone would want an ICE with no oil changes.

I can see reasons why a BEV with passive cooling is likely to be more reliable, safer and cheaper than one with active cooling. Don't you?

What I'm asking for is a reasonable choice. Unlike your example.

jlsoaz said:
I do have a question for anyone who may have knowledge of this as to empirical evidence of the extent to which frequency of exposure to hotter conditions tends to increase degradation (and in which chemistries and architectures). That is, if a vehicle spends a portion of its life in an area with average temperatures at what might be called "moderate" levels, but with higher frequency of spikes upward than other areas with similar average levels, then what does the evidence say (depending on the various factors) as to increased degradation?
Here is the answer AGAIN, just for you:
The speed of reactions doubles with every 10C increase in temperature in the range of interest
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrhenius_equation

Arrhenius figured it out in the 19th century, around the same time that he realized that CO2 is a greenhouse gas.

SageBrush said:
jlsoaz said:
Here is the answer AGAIN, just for you:
The speed of reactions doubles with every 10C increase in temperature in the range of interest

Arrhenius figured it out in the 19th century, around the same time that he realized that CO2 is a greenhouse gas.

Thanks. I had already looked up this link prior to posting and while it is of background interest, I don't see how it really provides "the answer" on the exact question I posed.

I did also end up here at WetEV's page, and at a link they provided. I thought the look at number of days above a certain temperature more starts to get at the matter.

http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=27677#p547072
http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/wiki/battery-capacity-loss/#Factors_Affecting_Battery_Capacity_Loss

WetEV said:
smkettner said:
OK and some might... Really?

I can't see a reason why someone would want an ICE with no oil changes.

I can see reasons why a BEV with passive cooling is likely to be more reliable, safer and cheaper than one with active cooling. Don't you?

What I'm asking for is a reasonable choice. Unlike your example.
I see it as providing a way to maintain the main component of the vehicle for longer usable life.
Otherwise the battery chemistry needs to be able to operate at a higher temperature without degradation issues.

Thank you for the long and thoughtful reply. It was a pleasure to read. I don't have the time to address all of your points.

jlsoaz said:
I agree with the points as to some of the concerns with liquid coolant vehicles. Whether the coolant is water or something else, the potential concerns include safety and complexity/cost. As an aside that I have made at least once before, I'm curious as to what is being done by various manufacturers to investigate some sort of solid-state cooling (and energy harvesting) though it's known to be inefficient so maybe it just inherently is not that useful for pack cooling.

Solid state cooling is very inefficient so is just inherently not that useful for pack cooling. Might change in the future, this is an active area of research.

jlsoaz said:
I've seen you write:
"...As for keeping an EV longer than the battery warranty, I'm past the battery warranty, have about 90% capacity and all bars. People in moderate climates, most of the USA, should be able to exceed the warranty easily. Hot climates like Phoenix are the risky place: if you just miss the warranty too bad, if you just hit the warranty you should be good to go for another warranty period...."
To what degree does your opinion take into account the differences in extremes in various places deemed "moderate"? And what is the best way to define "moderate"?

I'm not sure if this is the best definition of "moderate climate for an EV", but I'll propose some definitions and feel free to suggest alternatives.

A cool climate is a climate for which a commuting EV will never have a reasonable TMS turn on to cool the battery. Ever. Plus areas with less than 1% added battery life for a TMS. Seattle WA, Norway, much of Canada. Portland OR. Buffalo NY.

A moderate climate is one for which a reasonable TMS will provide between 1% and 20% more battery life for a commuting EV. Portland, OR or Maine. Florida. Salt Lake City, UT.

A hot climate is one for which a reasonable TMS will provide more than 20% more battery life for a commuting EV. Phoenix AZ, Los Vegas NV, Palm Springs CA and similar: generally an area of the Southwestern USA where summer temperatures are over 90 for well over a hundred days a year, and over 100 for a month or more.

A commuting EV mostly drives between work and home. Notice that the early BEVs, with EPA ranges of ~80 miles and No Worries Ranges of about 35 miles could only handle a fraction of all commutes.

A reasonable TMS has a cooling threshold above the likely condensation point of water. Depend on details, this might range from 30C to 40C.

Battery life is likely modeled by Arrhenius's equation with an activation energy such that the rate doubles for every increase in temperature of between 7C and 10C.

A weak point of the above definition is places that are fairly warm all the time, but do not often get over 100 F. While battery life isn't much improved by a TMS, it is likely to be shorter there. Florida and Hawaii, for example.

Another weak point is accounting for the range of driver behavior. Fast starts heat the battery. Hills and high speeds heat the battery. Parking in the sun, on hot pavement vs cool garages. Miles driven and recharging times and rates.

And yes, the percentage thresholds are just picked. Perhaps there are better ones.

jlsoaz said:
However, I think we have some of our disagreement in mulling over whether Nissan made (in the past) the right engineering compromise decisions (whether right is defined as "for Nissan", "for some customers" or both) and whether it is doing so now, and, once those decisions are made, whether it is making the right decisions in how it then presents the product to customers. Perhaps, for example, if it knows or strongly suspects that the latest iteration of its cooling will not hold up well in some of the hotter areas, maybe, as a matter of customer satisfaction, it should decline to sell the vehicle into those markets. Or, maybe the right decision is to go ahead and sell it, but with a much different marketing campaign, and different warranty terms. I don't know that different warranty terms would be legal. Are federal warranty terms necessarily homogeneous and does this make it more difficult in product development to make engineering cost/benefit compromise decisions that are focused only on some climates?

"For Nissan", the LEAF was designed for the wrong group of users. The car wasn't designed for many of the people that ended up buying it.

Something with higher range, higher performance, and of course a TMS would have been closer. Maybe even a two seater.

I was closer to the target market, I wanted commuting only.

I suspect that the newer batteries are likely to hold up enough to prevent an expensive warranty problem for Nissan. Time will tell, and there hasn't been enough time yet.

jlsoaz said:
Separately, I think that there may be matters in business where, adding everything up, it is simply not a good idea (regardless of considerations as to which customer group is being served) to make a particular engineering compromise. [[edited]: In this case, I thought Nissan's decision in the past to go with air cooling was on that line of being generally debatable regardless of target customer. As to now, about six years later, I'm wary, and question if it is still generally debatable.[/edited]]

Still, to be sure, upon re-consideration, perhaps I have incorrectly downplayed some aspects in this matter and it does indeed seem worth explicitly acknowledging and saying that from the point of view of customers who don't want the expense and (in their view) not very useful feature of having liquid cooling built in, then it is good from their point of view to see EV companies offering the less expensive, less complex tech.

One size fits all doesn't.

A range of EVs for different people is far more likely to meet needs.

jlsoaz said:
It is inherently a somewhat complex topic in some ways (IMO) and so there are some qualifiers to this -
1) vehicles are re-sold throughout the country and so it raises the question of knowing what you are buying. Do you want a Leaf that spent years in hotter portions of Texas but then ended up in North Dakota? Or do you at least want to be advised accurately of its earlier days?
2) what is the mileage and previous climate experience of a battery pack. I just spoke to an industry participant on this point. In the old days, it may have been easier to roll back odometers on gasoline cars. What measures can be taken to prevent the equivalent of illegal odometer rollback in battery packs.... i.e.: so that used buyers have full transparency.
3) once a vehicle is released into the wild, the use-case, even within a single-owner household, may change and (for example) it may be driven more frequently on long trips leading to more frequent quick-charging and thus to some need to be concerned about engineering to address the heat questions.

1) Knowing what you are buying is likely just knowing the current capacity of the battery pack. See point (2). If battery life is Arrhenius's equation driven, the way the pack got to that state isn't meaningful.
2) It is a complex problem to solve: How know what the real capacity of the battery pack is? I would propose a history readout of capacity estimates that isn't changeable, in "write once" memory.
3) Tires are speed rated. Driving faster than the speed rating may cause the tire to fall apart, perhaps leading to death. In the case of a well designed passive battery, the battery just loses capacity faster. And maybe that's ok, if you know it isn't going to be a habit.

smkettner said:
Otherwise the battery chemistry needs to be able to operate at a higher temperature without degradation issues.

What if my car never gets to those higher temperatures? I can know that is likely or not before I buy the car, based on climate.

WetEV said:
smkettner said:

What if my car never gets to those higher temperatures? I can know that is likely or not before I buy the car, based on climate.

MY 40kwh Leaf was down almost 6% last Fall, after spending most of the hottest Summer weather in an air-conditioned garage. I never once saw 7 bars on the temp gauge.

WetEV said:
smkettner said:

That is great if Nissan gives warning to operate in coastal OR & WA only. What does that cover.... 5% of the area these vehicles are sold? A bit upside down even if it works for you.

WetEV said:
"For Nissan", the LEAF was designed for the wrong group of users. The car wasn't designed for many of the people that ended up buying it.

Something with higher range, higher performance, and of course a TMS would have been closer. Maybe even a two seater.

I was closer to the target market, I wanted commuting only.

I suspect that the newer batteries are likely to hold up enough to prevent an expensive warranty problem for Nissan. Time will tell, and there hasn't been enough time yet.
FWIW, about 2/3rd of Leafs sold were in markets outside the US.

https://insideevs.com/u-s-federal-tax-credit-update-for-january-2019/ claims Nissan's at 130K for the US.

https://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/nissan-leaf-e-joins-world-s-best-selling-electric-vehicle-family from Jan 8, 2019 says
More than 380,000 Nissan LEAF vehicles have been sold globally since the 100 percent electric model first went on sale in 2010, with over 128,000 sold in the US.
I'd guess that a fair amount of the 252K Leafs sold outside the US were in milder climates than say So Cal and the Atlanta area.

Two seater would've been a terrible idea. Have you seen how poorly import brand two-seaters sell in the US? Take a look at vehicles like the 370Z, Miata, Fiat 124 Spider, Smart ForTwo, Mercedes SLC, for example. (I owned a 350Z for almost 8 years.) See http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2019/01/december-2018-the-best-selling-vehicles-in-america-every-vehicle-ranked/.

smkettner said:
WetEV said:
smkettner said:

That is great if Nissan gives warning to operate in coastal OR & WA only. What does that cover.... 5% of the area these vehicles are sold? A bit upside down even if it works for you.

Perfection is the rule, eh? If you had active cooling and might lose 20% over 8 years, and with passive cooling you might lose 21% over 8 years. And that would make passive be completely unacceptable to you. That would be the case for a commuting and around town use case from Atlanta GA to Canada.

There are plenty of reasons why you might not like Nissan. But passive cooling isn't a realistic one, unless you live in a hot place like Phoenix or take many long trips with multiple DCQC stops. Even in such hot places there are reasons why some might prefer a passively cooled battery.

LeftieBiker said:
WetEV said:
smkettner said:

MY 40kwh Leaf was down almost 6% last Fall, after spending most of the hottest Summer weather in an air-conditioned garage. I never once saw 7 bars on the temp gauge.

It would be more correct to mention that this is based on LeafSpy's readout, which is based on reverse engineering of earlier cars. I don't have a clue what "7 bars on the temp gauge" means, what was the peak temperature readout on LeafSpy?

I'd be more worried if this was based on a recharge energy test, done carefully at the same battery temperature.

I note that you are in a climate where liquid cooling wouldn't make any measurable difference in battery life.

Back