Guide to LEAF charge timers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popak

Born from a discussion in another thread. Hoping a dedicated topic will make it easier to find and maintain.

Time plugged in: 12:08 AM

Scenario 1: Timer Start = 12:00 AM; End = 8:00 AM
Will start charging immediately because you are still within the defined charge timer window. Does not matter if you missed the start time. Because the end time is set, the window is clearly defined and the car knows to start charging.

Recommended: Users with TOU rates.

Good to know: When parking the car at a charging station for a few days (like at an airport), change your timer to scenario #4 or #5 (rather than using the Immediate Charge button in the car). First, this ensures that your car will begin charging immediately. Second, if someone unplugs you during a charge, charging will resume when they plug you back in again.

Scenario 2: Timer Start = 12:00 AM; End = <None>
Will NOT start charging immediately as the Start time has already been missed. Charging will start the next day at 12:00 AM. With this timer, charging will start ONLY IF the car is plugged in at the start time.

Recommended: Never. Relevant for TOU users but frankly seems like too dangerous a timer to use. See scenario #1 or #3 instead.

Scenario 3: Timer Start = <None>; End = 8:00 AM
May or may not start charging immediately but will charge the car today until 8 AM. The car automatically calculates the start time (based on the charge state of the battery) such that charging will end on or just before 8 AM.

If 12:08 AM happens to be on or before this calculated start time, the car will begin charging immediately and will stop at 8 AM. Note that if 12:08 AM is after the calculated start time, the battery may not charge completely to your requested percentage (80% or 100%) because there is not enough time before your end time of 8 AM.

Recommended: Users with TOU rates who can set the end time to the end of super off-peak rate. Has the added benefit of automatically staggering start times in a neighborhood with many LEAFs so not everyone is loading the transformer at 12 AM. Unless there is a specific reason to use this particular timer though, scenario #1 is probably preferred.

Good to know: When parking the car at a charging station for a few days (like at an airport), change your timer to scenario #4 or #5 (rather than using the Immediate Charge button in the car). First, this ensures that your car will begin charging immediately. Second, if someone unplugs you during a charge, charging will resume when they plug you back in again.

Scenario 4: No timer
Car will start charging immediately to 100%.

Recommended: Users with non-TOU (tiered) rates and who want to charge the battery to 100% every time. Those who want 80%, see scenario #5.

Scenario 5: Timer start = 12:00 AM; End = 12:00 AM
Will start charging immediately. Same as scenario #1 except the window is the entire 24 hour day. So, no matter when you plug in, you're always within the window.

To avoid getting the "Charging stopped" notification at midnight (which would happen if the car were already charged up to the requested %), some people prefer to set the 24-hour window to start/end at some other time during the day (like 2 PM - 2 PM), when they know that the car would not be plugged in or when the notification would be less annoying.

Recommended: Users with non-TOU (tiered) rates and who want to charge the battery to 80%. Those who want to go 100% always can simply go with scenario #4.

If anyone has any corrections, please let me know and I'll edit this post.

In scenario 1, I recommend 12AM to 12PM, that way a switch to scenario 5 (for public 80% charging) just requires changing the end time from PM to AM, then saving.

I use scenario 1, but start at 8pm-10am, as that is the low rate at LADWP.

I really like scenario 3 -- just the end time, but for one thing; it is better to know when I get up that the car is ready to go, than to have it still charging. That way if there was a glitch overnight -- havent had one in 3 months -- i have the time to rectify things and still get a 80% charge.

davewill said:
In scenario 1, I recommend 12AM to 12PM, that way a switch to scenario 5 (for public 80% charging) just requires changing the end time from PM to AM, then saving.
Good tip, davewill. Thanks.

Personally, my peak rate ($0.55/kWh in the summer!) starts at 10AM, so I want to avoid ever charging between 10AM and 12PM (we do sometimes run errands in the morning and plug it in during that time). I use a 12AM - 10AM charger during the weekdays. That gives precedence to the super off-peak rate but still uses the off-peak rate, if need be.

Figure, for us, it's better to avoid peak time rather than the slight inconvenience of changing the timer from 10AM to 12AM once in a while. When taking trips to local malls or the beach with charge stations, we either just park in a regular spot (to leave the charge station spot open for those who need it) or use the Immediate charge button anyway.

thankyouOB said:
I really like scenario 3 -- just the end time, but for one thing; it is better to know when I get up that the car is ready to go, than to have it still charging.
Yeah, scenario #3 is interesting, but I wanted to maximize the time in the super off-peak rate and a 12AM - 10AM timer ensures that (I guess a timer with just an end time of 6AM would have done that too). Plus, if there is ever an emergency and I need to use the car at 2AM, I would rather have a partially-charged car than a car waiting until 5AM to start charging. So, I prefer scenario #1 for its certainty.

I live in AZ and am on the EZ3 program (great rates anytime except 3-6 Mon-Fri). For this, I use Scenario 5 on Sat&Sun and for Mon-Fri:
Scenario 6: Timer Start = 6:00pm; End = 3:00 PM
Starts charging immediately whenever I plug in as long as it isn't in the keepout window. Also stops at 3:00 if not done. I guess I should mention I have an AV charger. Another owner told me this didn't work for a Blink charger.

I actually recently changed it to start at 9pm since 8 hours is more than enough to fully charge and I'm guessing it's good to let the battery cool down a bit after driving home before starting to charge.

I have my end timer set to 7:00am and the start timer is blank. Haven't pressed the cancel timer button.

When I plug in L1 charger, charging starts immediately, regardless of the estimated time to charge. Charging is always completed way before the end time. (Was hoping to charge nearer the end time so that the batteries would start out warmer.)

Is this a "feature", or is there something wrong with my software?

zowland said:
I have my end timer set to 7:00am and the start timer is blank. Haven't pressed the cancel timer button.

When I plug in L1 charger, charging starts immediately, regardless of the estimated time to charge. Charging is always completed way before the end time. (Was hoping to charge nearer the end time so that the batteries would start out warmer.)

Is this a "feature", or is there something wrong with my software?
You may not have the timer activated. Go to the charge timer window on the Nav unit and be sure it says "on" next to the timer you want. It is easy to miss touching "save timer" after setting it.

91040 said:
You may not have the timer activated. Go to the charge timer window on the Nav unit and be sure it says "on" next to the timer you want. It is easy to miss touching "save timer" after setting it.

Timer 1 is On. Set to end @ 80% at 7:00 AM, Timer 2 has no settings, and is off. Charging is set as priority over climate.
Just drove next door to my neighbor's for dinner (1/2 mi each way), so only a few minutes is needed to go back to full 80% charge. When I turned off the car, the annunciator panel indicates climate timer is off and charging timer is on. Time is about 9:50 PM.

Plugged into L1--charging started immediately (10 hours prior to the 7am end time).

Addendum: Just received e-mail notification that charging has stopped (10:09PM).

My timer is set for 80%, and I get "Charging Stopped" emails a full two hours or more before the indicated stop time (with no start time set), even though I am charging at 240v 12A rather than the standard 16A. I have started wondering if maybe the start time calculation is ignoring the 80%, and estimating based on a 100% charge.

If that should turn out to be true, and if you are charging at 120v, then it would make sense that the system might back up the charge start time by five hours or more before what you would expect. Could that be what you are seeing?

Ray

planet4ever said:
My timer is set for 80%, and I get "Charging Stopped" emails a full two hours or more before the indicated stop time (with no start time set), even though I am charging at 240v 12A rather than the standard 16A. I have started wondering if maybe the start time calculation is ignoring the 80%, and estimating based on a 100% charge.

If that should turn out to be true, and if you are charging at 120v, then it would make sense that the system might back up the charge start time by five hours or more before what you would expect. Could that be what you are seeing?

Ray

Perhaps, but in this instance I only needed a 20 minute charge, and it was completed 9 hours prior to the requested End time. I'm looking for a way to keep my battery temps up a bit during the winter, and this isn't doing the trick.

I wonder if plugging in prior to midnight affects things in some strange manner?

B>

When the estimated duration "needed-to-charge" is still ZERO (probably less than 15 minutes), the software might have a bug and start charging immediately.

But, with ONLY an End time set, the "charging" SHOULD click ON immediately, but for only a few seconds (to sample the Input Voltage and Max-Amps).
Then, the car should wait until sometime (often much) later to ACTUALLY start charging.

The car does finish early when using an end time but not that much. I am stumped as to why your charge would start immediately.
zowland said:
Timer 1 is On. Set to end @ 80% at 7:00 AM, Timer 2 has no settings, and is off. Charging is set as priority over climate.
Just drove next door to my neighbor's for dinner (1/2 mi each way), so only a few minutes is needed to go back to full 80% charge. When I turned off the car, the annunciator panel indicates climate timer is off and charging timer is on. Time is about 9:50 PM.

Plugged into L1--charging started immediately (10 hours prior to the 7am end time).

Addendum: Just received e-mail notification that charging has stopped (10:09PM).

popak said:
Scenario 3: Timer Start = <None>; End = 8:00 AM
May or may not start charging immediately but will charge the car today until 8 AM. The car automatically calculates the start time (based on the charge state of the battery) such that charging will end on or just before 8 AM.

If 12:08 AM happens to be on or before this calculated start time, the car will begin charging immediately and will stop at 8 AM. Note that if 12:08 AM is after the calculated start time, the battery may not charge completely to your requested percentage (80% or 100%) because there is not enough time before your end time of 8 AM.

If anyone has any corrections, please let me know and I'll edit this post.

Why does charging start immediately if 12:08 is before the calculated start time? Seems like the charger should wait until the calculated start time to begin charging, if the car has been plugged in before the calculated start time. Should the "before" be "after" in this scenario?

B>

garygid said:
When the estimated duration "needed-to-charge" is still ZERO (probably less than 15 minutes), the software might have a bug and start charging immediately.

But, with ONLY an End time set, the "charging" SHOULD click ON immediately, but for only a few seconds (to sample the Input Voltage and Max-Amps).
Then, the car should wait until sometime (often much) later to ACTUALLY start charging.

My needed trickle charge times have ranged from 10 minutes to over 13 hours, and all have completed more than 2 hours prior to the programmed End time, at least as reported by the e-mail notifications of charging stopped (usually 6 or more hours prior to End time).

The manual indicates that at very low temps the calculated charging times may be too short if the battery heater has to kick in, so they may have built in a bit of wiggle room, but a 9-hour lead seems a bit excessive. (My battery temps have been runing 4 bars most nights when pulling into the garage, and the same when leaving in the morning.)

I forgot to mention a second related problem--Although I have set e-mail notifications for both "Charge On" and "Charge Complete", I only receive e-mail notifications "Nissan LEAF update: Charging Stopped". Never have received one for "Charge On", but checking the vehicle status does show active charging, and the blue dasboard LED's are blinking to indicate active charging.

B>

zowland said:
I forgot to mention a second related problem--Although I have set e-mail notifications for both "Charge On" and "Charge Complete", I only receive e-mail notifications "Nissan LEAF update: Charging Stopped". Never have received one for "Charge On", but checking the vehicle status does show active charging, and the blue dasboard LED's are blinking to indicate active charging.
Join the crowd. So far as I know, no one has ever gotten an email or text notification of when charging starts. We assume this is a bug in their software/firmware somewhere.

Ray

Rats! I wonder if the Cancel Timer switch is malfunctioning (always on)? But then it should charge to 100%. You could try setting a start time on the timer to see if that works properly.

planet4ever said:
My timer is set for 80%, and I get "Charging Stopped" emails a full two hours or more before the indicated stop time (with no start time set)

91040 said:
The car does finish early when using an end time but not that much. I am stumped as to why your charge would start immediately.

I'm not sure why I understand why there are two different camps here. I've seen posts from people like 91040 who indicate that end timer charging stops within 15-30 minutes of the end time, and then people like myself and Ray that find that it's stopping 2+ hours before end timer. At first I thought it might be time zone related (even though I too confirmed my time zone is set properly) but I notice Ray is on the west coast and I'm in the east, so that's probably not it.

Anyway, has anyone verified that maybe L1 charging actually supports END timers? Maybe Nissan (intentionally or unintentionally) doesn't honor an END timer when L1 charging.

planet4ever said:
Join the crowd. So far as I know, no one has ever gotten an email or text notification of when charging starts. We assume this is a bug in their software/firmware somewhere.

You do get the charge starting text/e-mail when you initiate charging via the CARWINGS app/web-site. I presume the logic is that when you initiate charging like that you are probably remote and desire a confirmation that charging actually did start. I once hit the wrong "button" (start charging) on my phone when the car was not plugged in and received a text that charging did NOT start. So I can see the usefulness of that confirmation message, which is possibly what they were thinking of when creating the "start charging" notification, versus when you just plug in and charging starts immediately and you can visually confirm it. They seem to have left out the confirmation for timer-based starts which is a bit of a mystery. Maybe they figured people wouldn't like getting awoken at 2:00am to learn that their car started charging. That's the only explanation I can come up with.

Back