Getting a AFV Plate in GA

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanrags

Recently got a Leaf and want to use it to drive from my home to Atlanta mid-town (approx 30 miles). I have tried it on weekends, and return from a full charge with aboiut 20 miles to spare. My concern is that during weekdays, with the traffic, I might run into issues. But, the ability to drive in the HOV can help me conserve some miles. I understand I need to have a certified AFV plate on the car to drive in HOV (1 passanger). When I go to the website, they tell me "applicable ad-volerm tax"......I have already paid the taxes when I got the vehicle. I am now hoping , I will not have to pay anything over and above the cost of the plate.

Has anyone gone thru this ? Any advice ?

Thanks
VR
Atlanta

I don't find that I save miles in the HOV lane. If you go as fast as everyone else there, the speed will kill your range. Traffic actually helps your range unless you are using the heater.

All that said, you just need to fill out the application form and take it to the DMV. If you have already gotten a tag and paid the taxes, you just pay $5 transfer fee and the $30 EV fee.

nogajim said:
I don't find that I save miles in the HOV lane. If you go as fast as everyone else there, the speed will kill your range. Traffic actually helps your range unless you are using the heater.

All that said, you just need to fill out the application form and take it to the DMV. If you have already gotten a tag and paid the taxes, you just pay $5 transfer fee and the $30 EV fee.
Agreed, fast moving traffic is your friend. They cut down on air resistance and allow you to travel faster on less power. Even slow moving traffic gives you an advantage because you are not driving a ICE vehicle that is very inefficient under the target RPM for speed. The slower speed gives you even more range on the Leaf since, it is even less power to travel the same distance. Sure, you spend an extra 5 minutes in the car while traveling, but end up with more miles and saved pennies of electricity at the end.

Agreed, fast moving traffic is your friend. They cut down on air resistance and allow you to travel faster on less power.

That wasn't what was meant. "Traffic" in this case means "slower-moving cars that allow you to go at a more efficient speed." Even stop and go driving is better than traveling at 65MPH or faster.

LeftieBiker said:
Agreed, fast moving traffic is your friend. They cut down on air resistance and allow you to travel faster on less power.

That wasn't what was meant. "Traffic" in this case means "slower-moving cars that allow you to go at a more efficient speed." Even stop and go driving is better than traveling at 65MPH or faster.
65MPH in dense traffic is still better than plowing the wind solo at 65MPH. So says my power meter anyway :D

LeftieBiker said:

Exactly. Slowing down will do more to cut wind resistance than (safely) following traffic. And the people behind you in the HOV lane will make going less than 5 mph over the speed limit nerve wracking.

Back