Generator "lubricant" change at 12k??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessEV

Hi guys,

I know this seems like yet another oft asked question about maintenance - hopefully I'm providing an entertaining twist though.

I'm planning on going in for my free 12 month battery level check. 2 questions:

- does this free battery check also include the multipoint inspection that I've seen posted here?
(http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7569&hilit=maintenance#p165526" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

- I'm also being upsold to do an annual/12k service that primarily includes a generator "lubricant" change for $250. Note that this is not the brake fluid change that's been discussed here. I had an instinctual <cough> bs response to this but thought I'd check here first... thoughts anyone? does our little Leaf AC motor have lubricant that needs replenishing? Isn't it a brushless motor? Or do the ball bearings need a squirt of $250 grease?

Thanks
Jess

In the LEAF Service and Maintenance Guide:

Pg 12:
7500 miles or 6 months
* Less Severe: Rotate Tires
* More Severe: Rotate Tires and inspect stuff

Pg. 15
15000 miles or 12 months
* Less Severe: Replace cabin microfilter, rotate tires, inspect stuff (including gear reduction oil)
* More Severe: Replace brake fluid, replace cabin microfilter, rotate tires and inspect a little more stuff (including gear reduction oil)

Nothing about changing any lubricant related to the generator...

As you no doubt know, the Maintenance Guide is available as a pdf document, and therefore easily search-able.

Search for 'gear' and you find many cases of inspecting steering gear and reduction gear oil, but never replace.

I think I would look for a different service dealer. But first, see if by 'generator lubricant' they mean the gear reduction oil. Be interesting to find out. ;)

Bill

There IS no generator on a Leaf, not any lubricants to replace or anything to lubricate for a loooong time. If they are trying to charge you $250 for something like that, find another dealer immediately! All you have to have done at 12 months is a free battery inspection. Other than tire rotation, there is nothing to do for at least the first two years - unless you feel the need to change the cabin air filter - under the normal service schedule...

JessEV said:
Hi guys,

I know this seems like yet another oft asked question about maintenance - hopefully I'm providing an entertaining twist though.

I'm planning on going in for my free 12 month battery level check. 2 questions:

- does this free battery check also include the multipoint inspection that I've seen posted here?
(http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7569&hilit=maintenance#p165526" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

- I'm also being upsold to do an annual/12k service that primarily includes a generator "lubricant" change for $250. Note that this is not the brake fluid change that's been discussed here. I had an instinctual <cough> bs response to this but thought I'd check here first... thoughts anyone? does our little Leaf AC motor have lubricant that needs replenishing? Isn't it a brushless motor? Or do the ball bearings need a squirt of $250 grease?

Thanks
Jess

If you had the SL generator upgrade with the generator on the rear wheels you may need that service. This was only available with the flat-rate $400 lifetime cabin filter replacement option and Mark Perry signature 6.6 kw charger upgrade package with heavy duty cables ready for the faster charger.

I opted for the pack lube option that keeps the pack thermal mass at the optimal temp and provides the "pack warranty interpretation clause" which allows one to interpret the capacity warranty to meet one's specific needs. I suggest that option to all buyers.

Too bad my fetzer valve blew and I did not get that coverage.

:roll: :lol: :lol:

You might want to contact Nissan national management with the dealer's name. I'm sure they would be interested to hear about this.

BTW my 12mo service was completely free.

DeaneG said:
You might want to contact Nissan national management with the dealer's name. I'm sure they would be interested to hear about this.

BTW my 12mo service was completely free.

Or, consider posting your experience, with dealer info, on the Nissan LEAF Facebook page. I've made one somewhat critical statement about a dealer experience on the Nissan LEAF Facebook page and immediately had a message from Nissan asking for more info to get it corrected.

EVDRIVER said:
If you had the SL generator upgrade with the generator on the rear wheels you may need that service. This was only available with the flat-rate $400 lifetime cabin filter replacement option and Mark Perry signature 6.6 kw charger upgrade package with heavy duty cables ready for the faster charger.

I opted for the pack lube option that keeps the pack thermal mass at the optimal temp and provides the "pack warranty interpretation clause" which allows one to interpret the capacity warranty to meet one's specific needs. I suggest that option to all buyers.

Too bad my fetzer valve blew and I did not get that coverage.

EVdriver: this is your best one ever....I almost wet my pants from laughing.

On the serious side; it never fails to amaze me how some devious dealers try to separate the unsuspecting customer from his hard-earned money. "Generator lubricant change @ 12,000 miles". getoutahere! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:roll: :lol: :lol:

As a wide-eyed consumer I wonder when these kinds of attempts cross the line from simply taking advantage of underinformed people into something less legal.

Thanks for all your responses guys. The sl generator upgrade comment nearly had me blow a gasket :)

I'll let you know how it goes in 2 weeks. It's Boardwalk Nissan, home of the Brendan, so was somewhat surprised they tried to pull something like this.

Tell them as long as they are changing the generator fluid, you want the knifiling pin changed as well, if they give you a straight "sure thing", head for the hills, and never return to that dealer :) oh yeah, if they ask for clarification, it's common knowledge that the knifiling pin secures the framus rod ...

Just had the 12K mile tire air flush performed. No more clicking on the front end and the car rides better.

Is there really a brake fluid change @ 15k miles..I can never remember having brake fluid changed in any car I have owned..I will say no if they ask...I do more coasting then braking..

It's just a way to separate you from your money... Every two years is more than adequate. And most places can do it for far less than what Nissan Dealers charge...

mark13 said:
Is there really a brake fluid change @ 15k miles..I can never remember having brake fluid changed in any car I have owned..I will say no if they ask...I do more coasting then braking..

Absolutely, I would make this dealer "famous". There is itching going on here short of common theft of your money.

Yes, post it on Facebook (get the name of the actual person trying to "sell" you this imaginary stuff).

DeaneG said:
As a wide-eyed consumer I wonder when these kinds of attempts cross the line from simply taking advantage of underinformed people into something less legal.

Dealers cross the line of legality all the time as do independent garages. Caveat Emptor is the absolute watchword when doing ANYthing about your automobile. Dealers have been taking extra money from car buyers for 100 years and are not about to stop any time soon. Remember, part of their profit center best practices is to extract as much money from the customer as possible.

Now as to crossing the legal line. Back in the day when compact spare tires were first around, dealers would take out the full size spare and wheel and substitute for a compact tire. Immediate profit to the dealer as most new car purchasers would not look under the mats in the trunk to see if the spare was really there. If the customer did look and complain, the salesman would do a tap dance and blame it on the manufacturer. This scam was discovered back in the 1980 in Virginia. Moot now, since you have to pay extra for a full size (if you get a spare at all, ala the LEaf).

Un-needed services, swapping parts between vehicles after a quick wipe with a WD40 rag, is so common that most dealers have a special class for their mechanics on how to do it.

Here in Tennessee, the State Attorney General's Office has received several complaints about the practice of the Leaf dealer saying to the customer that the State $2,500 rebate was "applied directly to the MSRP" and then attempting to sell the Leaf at full MSRP thus pocketing the $2,500. I expect to see some out of court settlements on this in a year or two and maybe some of that money will filter back to the buyer.

Another scam is the "high-grading" of various fluids and parts. Remember, almost everyone hasn't a clue as to where the oil comes from that a quick oil change place puts in your car. After all it comes in a 55-gallon barrel with a large colorful sticker on it. What most folks don't know is that the Quick change folks simply have a travelling "recycled oil" guy come around with a 5,000 gallon oil tanker and pump oil into the barrel. Then they charge your for "High Mileage Special Oil with Special Stuff in it". Special Stuff all right --- when beer was shipped in wooden barrels back in the 19th century, the Teamsters would stop to water the horses, pop the bung out and fill up on beer, then pee into the barrel to fill it back up.

Bottom line on all of this is to never, ever, trust anyone who is in the business of working on cars. Motor vehicles are such an emotional and integral part of our society that it is guaranteed that the whole industry is full of thieves. Also, read Consumer Reports Magazine. I've subscribed for years and years; usually glance once at the alarmist leftie commentary and the warning about "don't let your lab rat eat more than 100 times his body weight in BBQ sauce" crapola but definitely read and re-read the automotive articles plus tests of appliances, and other hardware.You know, I am sure, that you cannot rely upon Underwriter's Laboratories (UL) for anything close to honest evaluations any longer -- it is the fox guarding the hen house over there. Likewise, never trust people who write independent review or blogs or columns unless you can do vetting of their motivation and resources. Everyplace you can make a comment about a product, Amazon, etc., is filled with trolls for the manufacturer or sales force as well as folks who just post erroneous information to get a thrill or some kind of invidious stimulation from sabotaging -- sort of like anarchists.

Finally, review every single scrap of paper from the dealer or independent mechanic. You will find stuff like "$3,42 for work-room frammis adjustment" or $2.00 for waste supplies. It is all used to add up to real money at the end of the day and you may be sure that the guy behind the cash register has all the answers as to why you "have to pay this". Welcome to the Capitalist System, BTW. Ira est potens et pertinax.

CWO4Mann said:
Back in the day when compact spare tires were first around, dealers would take out the full size spare and wheel and substitute for a compact tire. Immediate profit to the dealer as most new car purchasers would not look under the mats in the trunk to see if the spare was really there. If the customer did look and complain, the salesman would do a tap dance and blame it on the manufacturer.
And then no doubt look like heroes when they replaced the donut with a full size spare AT THEIR EXPENSE!

Yeah, it's nerve wracking going in to a mechanic. The last 5 or 6 visits in my gas cars, some even for just simple oil changes, have all been $600-$800 affairs. Seems like if they do anything at all, it's running several hundreds of dollars. And how am I to know whether the alternator they said needed replacing really needed it? Even if they hand it back to me?

Even if I get ripped off on stuff in the LEAF in the future, I'll at least be glad that I won't have to go there as often and risk it!

CWO4Mann said:
<SNIP>
Welcome to the Capitalist System, BTW. Ira est potens et pertinax.

Wow, way to put a damper on my day. :) I would be fuming mad if I discovered they were putting normal oil into my car instead of the synthetic I paid for (I go 6K - 10K miles between changes). Good thing I can actually see them opening new bottles of Mobile 1 and pouring it in. I tend to avoid dealerships unless absolutely necessary and I like to watch the work being done.

CWO4Mann said:
Bottom line on all of this is to never, ever, trust anyone who is in the business of working on cars.
Wow!

In addition to a lot of questionable claims, that line is a bit of poor advice. I have lived in many parts of this country and have always been able to find an indepedent shop that did good work and was trustworthy. They are out there, and unless you are able to do all vehcle service yourself, latch on to one.

A couple of examples of why I make a 50 mile round trip for an ICE vehicle oil change-----

Toyota Sienna, check engne light, oxy sensor replaced. Next day, check engine light.
Possible response: "Well Bill, they often go in pairs, so it looks like you're getting hit twice."

Actual response: "Well Bill, when the tech got under the van, he got his left and rght mixed up and replaced the wrong sensor. You now have two new oxy sensors. Sorry about that. (There was no charge)

Buick Rendezvous, couple of oil spots on garage floor - please chcek it out.
Possible response: "Yep, you have a leaking oil pan gasket. Better take care of it before it bcomes a real problem. And, consider the environment - all that oil being washed down the storm drains, blah, blah."

Actual response: "The pan gasket is seeping a bit. Keep an eye on it, and if it starts getting worse, come on back and we'll take care of it."

When I relayed those instances to my son who owns and operates a very successful and trustworthy import repair shop, his comment was to keep that place.

Bill

Back