Gen 1 GM Volt Plug-In Hybrid (2011-2015)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Normal Volt battery SOC range is ~22-87. Lesser known fact when the Volt's battery "maxes out" SOC upper safety/longevity limit.

Per Trevor a Volt advisors past comments:
...feature of the vehicle which protects the battery from overcharging. Under certain circumstances, the electric motors will resist one another to provide braking in addition to the friction brakes on the vehicle. In order to meet emission requirements, the Volt does not spin the engine, but uses clutch 2 in the drive unit to link both motors. When the vehicle is at low speeds, clutch 2 requires that the resultant planetary gearset speeds increase to compensate. You will hear the electric motors at higher speeds, which is certainly a change from their normally silent operation.

The Volt was validated using the steepest, longest descent in the nation, Pike's Peak. With a full battery, the volt can descend Pike's Peak without issue with a combination of friction brakes and the electric motors. This is part of the Voltec propulsion system which has many more delighting features waiting for you to discover.

Went to test drive a Volt today and grandpa good old boy salesman told me the car only gives you 15 miles of ev battery range and did not know if car had leather seats due to suede center and $1.395 extra listed on price for leather package. I can't handle uneducated salesman and left. This is not good for ev sales in general. Ugh.

Ian B

MrIanB said:
Went to test drive a Volt today and grandpa good old boy salesman told me the car only gives you 15 miles of ev battery range and did not know if car had leather seats due to suede center and $1.395 extra listed on price for leather package. I can't handle uneducated salesman and left. This is not good for ev sales in general. Ugh.

Ian B

Should of pointed at the window sticker and been like "hmmm 35miles range...and look LEATHER, glad I could read" haha

150 million electric mile milestone (for USA Volts and those that opted in to OnStar)
http://www.chevrolet.com/volt-electric-car.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zdz0.jpeg

scottf200 said:
150 million electric mile milestone (for USA Volts and those that opted in to OnStar)
http://www.chevrolet.com/volt-electric-car.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zdz0.jpeg

so what is percentage of onstar opting?

Time to visit another section of the forum. I purchased a Volt last night and will take delivery this weekend. I've had the LEAF as my only vehicle for 22 months. Surprisingly, the thing that made me finally purchase a second car is the recent proliferation of plug=ins. As I am dependent on a charge at work to make it back home, it has become increasingly difficult and quickly heading towards impossible to shuffle all the cars around to make sure we all get our turn at the plug. We are seeing about 1 new plug in a week and it doesn't look like we will be able to add new EVSEs in the near term.

I've kept my LEAF, and hope to make it a full two years before having to buy drop of gas again.

Cinnabar said:
Time to visit another section of the forum. I purchased a Volt last night and will take delivery this weekend. I've had the LEAF as my only vehicle for 22 months. Surprisingly, the think that made me finally purchase a second car is the recent proliferation of plug=ins. As I am dependent on a charge at work to make it back home, it has become increasingly difficult and quickly heading towards impossible to shuffle all the cars around to make sure we all get our turn at the plug. We are seeing about 1 new plug in a week and it doesn't look like we will be able to add new EVSEs in the near term.

I've kept my LEAF, and hope to make it a full two years before having to buy drop of gas again.

i think a LEAF/EREV is a perfect combo if you have the need for two cars. I thought about that when the Prius was wrecked but Energi's were non existent at the time (local dealer got their first one about 2-3 weeks ago) and they simply were not willing to deal. (one local dealer was charging $2,000 "market adjustment on top of MSRP)

My SO has a 9 mile RT commute so even the Energi's range would work for us.

FYI; miles on LEAF month to date; 1387
miles on Yaris, 240.7

DaveinOlyWA said:
scottf200 said:

so what is percentage of onstar opting?
I think the Volt fleet EV miles are very close to the LEAF.

voltmnl
RegGuheert said:
surfingslovak said:
I think the Volt fleet EV miles are very close to the LEAF.
USA or worldwide?
That's a fair question, I believe the LEAF data came from a Nissan press release when they reached the 50K vehicles sold milestone. Some of the Volt data came from voltstats.net, which is US only, I believe. I vaguely remember reading something official from GM as well. The bottom line is that the average EV miles per vehicle were nearly identical. I think Scott caught that too, and came up with roughly the same numbers: 3,220 EV miles for the LEAF, and 3,354 for the Volt. Mine were closer, only about 50 miles apart, but I don't recall where I sourced the data.

2013 Volt offer on table now, need your opinion ASAP

DEADLINE 2pm cst Mon 4/8/13. Need your opinion on pricing of this 2013 base w leather package.
Saw this new 2013 blue Volt Saturday. Waiting to see if price already includes the rebates/discounts or not. Here is the link. Please let me know what you think on price. I think there is an extra $1k rebate for non Chevy lessee.

http://www.autonationchevyaustin.com/VehicleDetails/new-2013-Chevrolet-Volt-5dr_HB-Austin-TX/1950934963" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tia,

Ian B

Update:

Went to dealer this Saturday. It is a demo w 2,301 miles. It is a base w leather package only, no safety packages 1 or 2. Sale price is actually 34,000 as I don't get 1k for 48 month financing(doing 72 months at 0%) and there is a $750 for USSA and $500 for Farm bureau rebates which I am not member. That is the difference from $31,790 website price and the $34,000 offered. The manager is gonna give me the $500 farm discount to bring down to $33,500. I just walked out and told him that if I don't get $32,700 there is no deal.

Please let me know what you think if $32,700 is a great price and $34,000 a good price. I am ready to pull trigger but need this panel's great final advice.

Thanks again,

Ian B

MrIanB said:
Please let me know what you think if $32,700 is a great price and $34,000 a good price. I am ready to pull trigger but need this panel's great final advice.
Ian, would it be possible to share the lease details? It sounds like it's about $10K below MSRP? I noticed that you posted the same question on gm-volt.com, which is a great idea. Best of luck with your decision.

surfingslovak said:
MrIanB said:
Ian, would it be possible to share the lease details? It sounds like it's about $10K below MSRP? I noticed that you posted the same question on gm-volt.com, which is a great idea. Best of luck with your decision.

Suringslovak;

Thanks for your response but it is not a lease, but rather a purchase since I will be taking advantage of the 0% 72 month which already approved for.

Price 41k
Dealer discount 4k
GM discount 3k
= 34k sale price

Additional discounts not used:

$1k-- if I finance for 48 months, doing 72 months at 0%.
$750--USAA members which I am not.
$500--Farmers Bureau member which I am not.

Left dealer with counter offer of $32,700. Car is a demo w 2,300 miles and is being inspected top to bottom and certified before I can buy it. It will be ready on Monday for me to look at it once completed and make a decision. If they refuse $32,500 but come back w $33,000-$33,500 would that be a good/great deal for this car enough to pull the trigger?

Ian B

MrIanB said:
Left dealer with counter offer of $32,700. Car is a demo w 2,300 miles and is being inspected top to bottom and certified before I can buy it. It will be ready on Monday for me to look at it once completed and make a decision. If they refuse $32,500 but come back w $33,000-$33,500 would that be a good/great deal for this car enough to pull the trigger?
That's a pretty nice discount, considering comparable recent offers. I recall a $5000 off MSRP ad from a dealer in LA from last month, but it expired, and I'm not able to link it anymore. GM had great incentives on the Volt last fall, and I don't think that we have see anything like that lately. I realize that you need to decide now, and this is probably not very helpful, but I had good experience with the GM card. This can translate to additional $1 or $2K savings when GMAC tops off the earnings. If I were in your situation, I would try to push for a better price, just like what you appear to be doing. Perhaps they can come close to the discounts offered last fall on this demo vehicle.

surfingslovak said:
MrIanB said:
That's a pretty nice discount, considering comparable recent offers. I recall a $5000 off MSRP ad from a dealer in LA from last month, but it expired, and I'm not able to link it anymore. GM had great incentives on the Volt last fall, and I don't think that we have see anything like that lately. I realize that you need to decide now, and this is probably not very helpful, but I had good experience with the GM card. This can translate to additional $1 or $2K savings when GMAC tops off the earnings. If I were in your situation, I would try to push for a better price, just like what you appear to be doing. Perhaps they can come close to the discounts offered last fall on this demo vehicle.

Ok, thanks for info. If I can get it between 32,500 and 33,500 will pull the trigger tomorrow. Will let you know end result.

Ian B

MrIanB said:
2013 Volt offer on table now, need your opinion ASAP

DEADLINE 2pm cst Mon 4/8/13. Need your opinion on pricing of this 2013 base w leather package.
Saw this new 2013 blue Volt Saturday. Waiting to see if price already includes the rebates/discounts or not. Here is the link. Please let me know what you think on price. I think there is an extra $1k rebate for non Chevy lessee.

http://www.autonationchevyaustin.com/VehicleDetails/new-2013-Chevrolet-Volt-5dr_HB-Austin-TX/1950934963" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tia,

Ian B

Update:

Went to dealer this Saturday. It is a demo w 2,301 miles. It is a base w leather package only, no safety packages 1 or 2. Sale price is actually 34,000 as I don't get 1k for 48 month financing(doing 72 months at 0%) and there is a $750 for USSA and $500 for Farm bureau rebates which I am not member. That is the difference from $31,790 website price and the $34,000 offered. The manager is gonna give me the $500 farm discount to bring down to $33,500. I just walked out and told him that if I don't get $32,700 there is no deal.

Thanks again,

Ian B

Ended up picking this Volt today for $32,250.00. Thanks everyone who helped me pull the trigger. Now lots of reading.

Ian B

MrIanB said:
Ended up picking this Volt today for $32,250.00. Thanks everyone who helped me pull the trigger. Now lots of reading.
Congrats, Ian, great to hear that! Hope the Volt out will work well for you.

surfingslovak said:
MrIanB said:
Congrats, Ian, great to hear that! Hope the Volt out will work well for you.

Thanks and it will. I still have another Leaf here at the house so will continue to assist here as I can and learn in the GM-Volt forum on the new car. I almost did not get the car as I walked out. I got to the store and met the salesman. I told him I wanted to inspect the car and he told me that he would try to get me 33,500 since I came to the store. As we are walking to inspect the car, the manager on duty who I met before said hi and briefly was told by salesman about the 33,500 price to buy and he said ok. We come back from inspecting the car after 30 mins and he wrote on the offer sheet 33,500, I signed it and took it to the manager on duty. 10 mins later the manager comes over and tells me that their price was the cheapest in Texas, that I had used multiple email addresses in the past to price shop, had a test drive in the past and now wanted an additional $500 to close the deal. I said to him yes, if you want my business. He said he would not do it and threw the offer sheet on the table and walked out. A minute later the salesman came back, I got up and told him that I am not doing the deal after that unprofessional by manager and to sell the car to the other guy who put a deposit on it. I shook his hand, said good bye and told him he cost you a sale. I drove off and not even a minute later I got 3 calls but, did not take them. I get a vm and pulled over to listen to it. It is my salesman apologizing and mad at the manager. He still wants my business and he had gone to store manager and he said if I came back, they would sell me the car for $750.00 less than the$34,000 final offer from them. I said to him to call me when the paper work was ready if true. Got a call about an hour later, new offer sheet for $33,250.00 and signed the papers. Car is still being certified and will be ready today or tomorrow. In the meantime, they gave me a loaner Volt with no charge. Got home and tested by 220 EVSEupgraded Lead cable to charge and voila, full battery now in the Volt.

Just drove it now for lunch in ev mode and the car is just as quiet as the Leaf and feels solid. Drove in "L" and the regen is pretty strong.

Ian B

Volusiano said:
Here's an interesting read just recently posted on the GM-Volt web site using some real data collected in Phoenix using the DashDAQ on a Volt.
http://gm-volt.com/2013/05/03/volt-battery-thermal-management-system-in-the-hot-arizona-sun/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Volt Battery Thermal Management System in the Hot Arizona Sun
By George S. Bower
* What is the Volt Battery TMS Temperature Band?
* What Happens if the Volt is Parked all Day in Full Sun?
* What Happens if we Leave the Ignition (power) on?

Back