Gen 1 GM Volt Plug-In Hybrid (2011-2015)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scottf200 said:
Volusiano said:
2. When I went check out the GM Volt forum, I learned that people are not very happy with the Nav because they say it's not as advanced as other mfg's built-in Nav and also has many flaws. One guy went so far as saying he prefers his $100 Garmin nav with lifetime map update over the Volt Nav. So I'm glad I didn't pick it.

3. Same with the $500 Bose option (that I would have been forced to buy to get the $900 Nav). People are saying it's not worth the $500 because the sound quality is only incrementally better than the standard sound system and they were disappointed that they didn't get their money's worth out of it.
That might have been some selective reading. There are just as many people on the other side of both those opinions. I'm extremely happy with the Nav system in my Volt and use many of the features (multiple waypoints, individual POI (ie. chase), etc). So convenient that I use multiple times a week.

Similar to the Bose system. There have been dozens of threads about it. Recent ones people are tired of talking (repeating) about it so it can be misleading. There are those with music and electronic backgrounds who are impressed with it. Seem my sig! A *major* part of it is that it is light and electrically efficient. They picked it for the LEAF in 2013 as well. (many thread on the bose sound: https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Agm-volt.com+bose" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

In any event, glad you found one at a good deal and very interested to hear your opinion after you have had it a month in AZ (of course it is cold in AZ now). I went to college in Phoenix so I get the heat.
I would agree with you Scott, that I might have heard only one side of the story here. I only reported some of the recent discussion in newer threads that I saw over in the gm-volt forum and I admit that I didn't go far back to look for older threads that might have contained different opinions about them. It wasn't really selective reading, but I do admit that I stopped reading after I heard what I wanted to hear. :lol: If I had bought into those options, I'm sure I would have wanted to search further back for older threads to find the other side of the opinion, too. We all like to reaffirm ourselves that we make good choices after all.

Back when I got my Volt, I was only interested in the backup camera, leather and heated seats. The Bose and Nav are a big waste of money for me - my smartphone does it for free.

Yes, the short airdam may give up a 1 mile or so of AER, but I was just offering the option. Personally, I have the standard airdam and it frequently scraps noisily. However after 14 months, I haven't seen any damage.

Normally I go for leather seats but Volt's cloth actually felt nice and looked like it should last a while (unlike Leaf's) so I didn't bother to upgrade, plus it's a lease, so I don't care.

With the super low Volt lease rates and the potential to use my GM Card Benefits, I test drove a Volt yesterday. I figured if I could get a good enough deal it might be worth trading in the Leaf before all of the three year lease returns hit the used car market. However, I didn't like the Volt. With the engine running it had too much engine noise (I may just be used to the quiet of the Leaf)-- plus the engine RPM don't match the car's speed, so you notice it more, although that might be something you get used to quickly. The dominant sound when driving EV was tire noise-- and when I got back in my Leaf it seemed quieter and more fun to drive. So, the Volt is off the list.

SteveInSeattle said:
With the super low Volt lease rates and the potential to use my GM Card Benefits, I test drove a Volt yesterday. I figured if I could get a good enough deal it might be worth trading in the Leaf before all of the three year lease returns hit the used car market. However, I didn't like the Volt. With the engine running it had too much engine noise (I may just be used to the quiet of the Leaf)-- plus the engine RPM don't match the car's speed, so you notice it more, although that might be something you get used to quickly. The dominant sound when driving EV was tire noise-- and when I got back in my Leaf it seemed quieter and more fun to drive. So, the Volt is off the list.
So you are ruling the entire car out engine noise? Under how many conditions did you test it? It can vary a LOT based on the conditions you have the ICE running in. It settles down to like 1600 RPM. It is not noticeable at highway speeds when a lot of people use it (ie. longer trips). I've had many passengers never know when it switches over (!!!) and that was with no music/radio playing as I normally do.

SteveInSeattle said:
However, I didn't like the Volt. With the engine running it had too much engine noise (I may just be used to the quiet of the Leaf)-- plus the engine RPM don't match the car's speed, so you notice it more, although that might be something you get used to quickly. The dominant sound when driving EV was tire noise-- and when I got back in my Leaf it seemed quieter and more fun to drive. So, the Volt is off the list.
Your Leaf will be EXTREMELY quiet when you take it on a trip of 250 miles. It also won't be moving! :lol: (I'm assuming you were trying to be funny).

I only notice high revving when I put mountain mode on. Most times no one in my car even notices the ICE. But since I drive 89% in EV mode, the ICE isn't on a whole lot anyway. Like Scott mentioned, most times I'm on the highway and the ICE doesn't seem to be much louder than the wind and tire noise.

SanDust said:
SteveInSeattle said:
However, I didn't like the Volt. With the engine running it had too much engine noise (I may just be used to the quiet of the Leaf)-- plus the engine RPM don't match the car's speed, so you notice it more, although that might be something you get used to quickly. The dominant sound when driving EV was tire noise-- and when I got back in my Leaf it seemed quieter and more fun to drive. So, the Volt is off the list.
Your Leaf will be EXTREMELY quiet when you take it on a trip of 250 miles. It also won't be moving! :lol: (I'm assuming you were trying to be funny).
LOL, the roadside waiting on a tow truck is lonely, but quiet.

I'm not a huge fan of the generator noise but I'm glad it's there so we can keep going when we run out of juice. Tire noise? I dunno, I didn't find the Leaf any quieter and I definitely didn't like driving the Leaf better than the Volt. But, to each their own.

I have 3 dealers right now bidding one another on same car, color, options. All 3 have it in stock and initial offers are between $35,912 and $37,500. None have GPS, nav or leather. The $7500 has to filed next year if purchasing and my taxable amount this year was $4,300 which means I would "lose" $2,200.

Trying to find out if the $7,500 can be used on a lease as a down payment like Nissan does. If I can't, then I won't be buying it. Lets see what they say.

May be switching jobs and unfortunately the Leaf range won't make it.

Ian B

MrIanB said:
I have 3 dealers right now bidding one another on same car, color, options. All 3 have it in stock and initial offers are between $35,912 and $37,500. None have GPS, nav or leather. The $7500 has to filed next year if purchasing and my taxable amount this year was $4,300 which means I would "lose" $2,200.

Trying to find out if the $7,500 can be used on a lease as a down payment like Nissan does. If I can't, then I won't be buying it. Lets see what they say.

Ian B

Yes, Ally uses the $7500 to reduce the monthly payment. That's how mine worked. If you want to purchase instead, you can easily change your federal tax with-holding on your W4 to compensate for the $7500 during the year. So when you file next year, you will already have it accumulated throughout the year. However, please check to see that you will qualify for the tax credit before you do this (high enough income).

scottf200 said:
SteveInSeattle said:
So you are ruling the entire car out engine noise? Under how many conditions did you test it? It can vary a LOT based on the conditions you have the ICE running in. It settles down to like 1600 RPM. It is not noticeable at highway speeds when a lot of people use it (ie. longer trips). I've had many passengers never know when it switches over (!!!) and that was with no music/radio playing as I normally do.

oh cmon!! you serious think that if he liked the car he would have discounted it due to noise? obviously there were other issues here.

MTNRanger said:
MrIanB said:

Ian B

Yes, Ally uses the $7500 to reduce the monthly payment. That's how mine worked. If you want to purchase instead, you can easily change your federal tax with-holding on your W4 to compensate for the $7500 during the year. So when you file next year, you will already have it accumulated throughout the year. However, please check to see that you will qualify for the tax credit before you do this (high enough income).

Can you please explain what/who Ally is/does? Never heard of them and I want to lease only. Trying to get payments for $0 down and pay only first month's payment at time of signing.

Tia,

Ian B

MTNRanger said:
MrIanB said:
Can you please explain what/who Ally is/does? Never heard of them and I want to lease only. Trying to get payments for $0 down and pay only first month's payment at time of signing.

Tia,

Ian B

Ally Bank is one of the largest vehicle finance companies. They used to be called GMAC. Chevy dealers usually use Ally and/or US Bank.

http://www.ally.com/auto/
http://www.ally.com/about/company-structure/history/

Thanks, first quote back. $515 down and $515 x 39 months lease. Second offer $481 down and $481 x 36 months. now waiting on 3rd offer.

MrIanB said:
Thanks, first quote back. $515 down and $515 x 39 months lease. Waiting on offers 2 and 3.

If the other quotes are similar, you should definitely look out of state. The two most popular high volume (and good deal) dealers from gm-volt.com are Stingray in Florida and Keyes in California. They can ship out of state fairly cheaply. Here is a thread with details: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?23665-Volt-are-arriving-any-day-example-deals):

http://www.stingraychevrolet.com/
http://www.keyeschevy.com/

I heard an anecdote that a professor that teaches electrician-type classes at the local community college is bailing on his Volt due to the greatly-reduced electrical range during the wintertime.

Not a big deal, but it seems like LEAF owners are not the only ones whose expectations are not being met. There are a lot more people who will need to "learn" the hard way whether or not electric propulsion will suit their needs and, if so, which type is best for them. Neither the Nissan nor the Chevy dealers are helping in this regard. If someone can fog a mirror and qualify for financing, they are, by definition, a good fit. (BTW, we pushed Nissan pretty hard on this during our recent visit to Yokohama. They don't seem to be aware of the fact that the vast majority of customers do not have enough knowledge or experience to self-qualify for these products.)

RegGuheert said:
I heard an anecdote that a professor that teaches electrician-type classes at the local community college is bailing on his Volt due to the greatly-reduced electrical range during the wintertime.

Not a big deal, but it seems like LEAF owners are not the only ones whose expectations are not being met. There are a lot more people who will need to "learn" the hard way whether or not electric propulsion will suit their needs and, if so, which type is best for them. Neither the Nissan nor the Chevy dealers are helping in this regard. If someone can fog a mirror and qualify for financing, they are, by definition, a good fit. (BTW, we pushed Nissan pretty hard on this during our recent visit to Yokohama. They don't seem to be aware of the fact that the vast majority of customers do not have enough knowledge or experience to self-qualify for these products.)
:lol: The bolded section matches my opinion of most scuba certification agencies' qualifications for taking an Open Water class. As long as your check clears or your credit card isn't refused, you're in (breathing preferred but negotiable)!

MTNRanger said:
MrIanB said:
Thanks, first quote back. $515 down and $515 x 39 months lease. Waiting on offers 2 and 3.

If the other quotes are similar, you should definitely look out of state. The two most popular high volume (and good deal) dealers from gm-volt.com are Stingray in Florida and Keyes in California. They can ship out of state fairly cheaply. Here is a thread with details: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?23665-Volt-are-arriving-any-day-example-deals):

http://www.stingraychevrolet.com/
http://www.keyeschevy.com/

Those are some great lease rates. Will contact and find out shipping to Texas and how to do paperwork.

Thanks,

Ian B

DaveinOlyWA said:
scottf200 said:
SteveInSeattle said:

oh cmon!! you serious think that if he liked the car he would have discounted it due to noise? obviously there were other issues here.
I just picked my 2013 Volt up from Keyes in CA and drove it home last night. So I got to drive it 6 hrs on the freeway. I must tell you that if you're at freeway speed, the predominant noise is the road noise, and I could hardly tell the engine was running except for steep grade climbing where you're pushing 70 mph and the engine has to go all out to keep up with your demand.

As for slower driving, I hardly notice any engine noise either. The engine RPM is variable depending on the load demand. On slow roads, the load demand isn't high so the engine RPM is lower, resulting in more quiet ride.

The times when the engine's RPM is higher on slow roads is probably due to cold weather, where the engine needs to rev higher to warm up enough and also to help with the cabin heating. Maybe that was the scenario you're experiencing.

Back