Gen 1 GM Volt Plug-In Hybrid (2011-2015)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are seriously thinking about adding a Volt as our second car. That would put us in the LEAF/Volt combo class. Not brave enough to purchase like our LEAF but to do the 299/mo 3 year lease before all the green carpool stickers are gone. I'm guessing most of the bad Volt press is just FUD.

Ready2plugin said:
Not brave enough to purchase like our LEAF but to do the 299/mo 3 year lease before all the green carpool stickers are gone. I'm guessing most of the bad Volt press is just FUD.
99% of the bad Volt press is FUD. At $299/mo it's a very good deal, do it!

Just one question - do those deals apply to the CARB qualified low-emission Volts? I thought they only applied to the non-CARB compliant ones as they were trying to clear those out... IMO - it's a good deal regardless of whether or not it qualifies for the carpool stickers.

If you get one for $299/mo - make sure you report back. I'd be very tempted, too, but I don't think those deals are available around here.

drees said:
Ready2plugin said:
Not brave enough to purchase like our LEAF but to do the 299/mo 3 year lease before all the green carpool stickers are gone. I'm guessing most of the bad Volt press is just FUD.
99% of the bad Volt press is FUD. At $299/mo it's a very good deal, do it!

Just one question - do those deals apply to the CARB qualified low-emission Volts? I thought they only applied to the non-CARB compliant ones as they were trying to clear those out... IMO - it's a good deal regardless of whether or not it qualifies for the carpool stickers.

If you get one for $299/mo - make sure you report back. I'd be very tempted, too, but I don't think those deals are available around here.

Just looked, they had one black Volt that had a VIN that qualified, but now it's gone. Three other 2012 Volts listed at that price but they are all non-HOV.

drees said:
I think the trick on the $299 lease is that they really sock it to you if you decide you want to keep the car after the lease is up. It's gimmicky, but if you can work the gimmick, go for it.

Ray

planet4ever said:
drees said:
I think the trick on the $299 lease is that they really sock it to you if you decide you want to keep the car after the lease is up. It's gimmicky, but if you can work the gimmick, go for it.

Ray

We only need it for 3 years....going to go for a more mini-van type hybrid when they are available with a decent range. We are currently paying about $300 in gas a month for the wife to drive our current Town & Country, so the total out of pocket will not be that bad.

Via "kickincanada" at gm-volt.com
After Record Sales, Chevy Volt Production Will Resume One Week Early
http://idealab.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/04/gm-will-restart-chevy-volt-production-one-week-early-uaw-reveals.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RegGuheert said:
Sorry if this was previously covered, but it appears that GE plans to purchase 12,000 Chevy Volts by 2015. As the article says, that equates to 500 Volts/month if the purchase is made over a two-year period.
Not sure I'm following, the article says that this WASN'T the case. Only 160 of the units were fleet sales. The headline says "Chevy Volt sales story updated for limited impact of GE fleet purchases" :?:

The author had to make the correction when volt owners on gm-volt jumped all over him that there were in fact on 160 fleet purchases for the month. He, as like many other a$$clowns, think the only way the Volt is selling is through fleet.

In the radio ad I heard, the disclaimer said that the offer did not apply to Volts with the CARB low emissions package.

drees said:
Just one question - do those deals apply to the CARB qualified low-emission Volts? I thought they only applied to the non-CARB compliant ones as they were trying to clear those out...

Some new features were recently added to voltstat.net and I though some people here might find them interesting. It allows one to look at the frequency of daily distances (as driven, if you return home with charge its not considering that). Green = EV miles per day, blue is CS_mode miles per day.

Here for example is is the overall daily driving distances
drinnovation-albums-pics-picture8783-overall-voltstats-daily-driving-histogram.png

One thing to note here, from a Leaf comparison perspective, is just how many VOLT days have EV usage > than the average for a leaf (which I believe is 37 miles).

Here is my personal histogram
drinnovation-albums-pics-picture8784-my-volstats-daily-driving-histogram.png

Where I might note the short "CS" mile trips are really the tail end of longer day trips (65miles might be 43 + 22 CS, while 125 miles might break down as 42 EV + 83 CS). It also included the annoying ERDTLT and maintenance days. My 10 trips over 90 mile days can be seen, but the chart truncates trips over 200miles so my really big trip days are missing).

You can get this for any voltstat driver by clicking on their ID and then selecting Daily Driving. Interesting to look at the splits across drivers with different efficiencies.

EDIT: It seems the Leaf average per day is 27, at least in this study
http://avt.inel.gov/pdf/EVProj/2012SAEHybridSympEVProj.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So TomT.. you're doubly good :)

Boy do I have that beat. My daily usage during the week day is 57...

DrInnovation said:
One thing to note here, from a Leaf comparison perspective, is just how many VOLT days have EV usage > than the average for a leaf (which I believe is 37 miles).

DrInnovation said:
Some new features were recently added to voltstat.net and I though some people here might find them interesting.
I'm not understanding the graph. I see three colors: light green, blue, and something else. I don't understand what the the something else color stands for and I don't understand why in the first figure it starts high and continually drops as the mileage goes up.

I've got both of you beat ;) 70 miles a day electric average.

I will admit these graphs confuse me a bit, as well.

I got to work today, and freaked out that my 2,000+ miles without gas was about to go kaputz as the outlet I use wasnt working. Had to reset the GFCI.

SanDust said:
DrInnovation said:
Some new features were recently added to voltstat.net and I though some people here might find them interesting.
I'm not understanding the graph. I see three colors: light green, blue, and something else. I don't understand what the the something else color stands for and I don't understand why in the first figure it starts high and continually drops as the mileage goes up.

It is blue for CS miles and Green for CD miles its two histograms on top of each other the "third color" is green on top of blue. So at say 0-2 miles (first bar) the blue CS mode is 1.6% of all driving and CD is .7% of all trips. At 40-42 miles there is .18% CS trips and 1.6% CD miles.

The Blue miles starts high as there are more trips with very short CS miles (e.g. going just beyond EV range or engine maintenance).

Thanks for the explanation. I was trying to sum them.

Do you find it odd that even at close to 100 miles it's more likely that a Volt driver is more likely to have driven these miles in CD Mode rather than CS Mode? Or is that what you'd expect since first they would have had to have driven 40 miles in CD Mode so to get 100 miles in CS Mode they would need to go 140 miles?

Herm said:
How in the heck can you get 80 miles out of a Volt in the BEV mode?.. must be going downhill at the time.
Re: "Daily Driving" tab
It is a per DAY stat and not per CHARGE stat.

It can be interesting to go to http://www.voltstats.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; then sort on "EV %" by clicking on the column header. Check out the extremes of top and bottom by clicking on the YEAR-VIN for a particular person and then click the "Daily Driving" tab.

Back