Gen 1 GM Volt Plug-In Hybrid (2011-2015)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garygid said:
... Dark Side, I like it!

Having to pay for a "free-use" card, the activation via the 800 number "not working", probably just a co-inky-dink, right?

The $10 fee is to cover the cost of the credit card wallet sized RFID, or the keyfob RFID, cmon, it's just $10, once.
The 800 number worked, its just that the communication to the actual EVSE wasn't working... they use cellular modems, and they don't always work, depending on the location, and conditions, etc. I think $10 for the RFID is reasonable, should they supply free RFIDs? perhaps get another government grant to pay for them? :)
I've had it for at least 6 months already, and have no car or charger to use it with yet.

They also have the ability to put a credit card on your account, if you want to use one of the non-free chargers, which the venue can decide... Pay for play is comming, like it or not.

@Gargid,

Yes, the Volt seats in the front, both driver and passenger have a decent range of up and down adjustment with a "pump handle." I am about 5'9" and have a short torso, so I have the seat up about as far as it will go, and I am a happy camper in terms of fit. The steering wheel also adjusts for both tilt and distance, so that is another nice way to customize the driving position.

Today, we did two trips with the car and completed the day with a total of 28.4 miles with the battery power display showing that we had another 13 miles of full EV power remaining.

Since delivery here at the house, the car has now about 220 miles that we have driven and used a total of .6 gallon of actual petrol.

Now, where is my LEAF?

8 - (

mitch672 said:
garygid said:

Having to pay for a "free-use" card, the activation via the 800 number "not working", probably just a co-inky-dink, right?

The $10 fee is to cover the cost of the credit card wallet sized RFID, or the keyfob RFID, cmon, it's just $10, once.
The 800 number worked, its just that the communication to the actual EVSE wasn't working... they use cellular modems, and they don't always work, depending on the location, and conditions, etc. I think $10 for the RFID is reasonable, should they supply free RFIDs? perhaps get another government grant to pay for them? :)
...Pay for play is comming, like it or not.

Agree monetized charging is coming- and don't have a fundamental issue with that, though personally I don't think it will be viable (esp for Level 2) for a few more years. Meanwhile, there's no good reason I know of to toss the extra barrier up in front of new EV drivers- most of whom won't know they have to get the card- for the free chargers. Just leave them unlocked until such time they become fee-based.

And unfortunately, it doesn't matter why that charger wasn't able to be energized- had that been a new Leaf driver at the limits of his range (entirely possible in those first few days of ownership), he wouldn't have made it home easily. A few of those stories in the early days tarnishes the whole approach. It was only funny to anyone because it happened to be GM employees in Volts.

mogur said:
I'm still planning to try for the worst numbers in Carwings! And to drive it like I stole it!

Yanquetino said:
This blog post by Chelsea Sexton about the Volt will likely invoke a chuckle from Leaf aficionados:

Come to the Dark Side

I may be right there with you, at least for some months of the year. I'll be having an internal battle between my conservative and my aggressive sides. Maybe I'll alternate months. :lol:

evchels said:
mitch672 said:
garygid said:

...Pay for play is comming, like it or not.

Agree monetized charging is coming- and don't have a fundamental issue with that, though personally I don't think it will be viable (esp for Level 2) for a few more years. Meanwhile, there's no good reason I know of to toss the extra barrier up in front of new EV drivers- most of whom won't know they have to get the card- for the free chargers. Just leave them unlocked until such time they become fee-based.

And unfortunately, it doesn't matter why that charger wasn't able to be energized- had that been a new Leaf driver at the limits of his range (entirely possible in those first few days of ownership), he wouldn't have made it home easily. A few of those stories in the early days tarnishes the whole approach. It was only funny to anyone because it happened to be GM employees in Volts.

I agree, the ChargePoint Network seems overly complex, but they are selling their (Coulomb BTW) EVSEs to venues with the promise of future income, at some point in time, so it's kind of a selling point to get business's to justify the expense. Given that, I don't think its that bad, and I think most Leaf drivers would be aware of the network, and have checked out what's required to use them. I've had the card for at least 6 months, and I'm on the east coast, EV no mans land :)

http://www.mychargepoint.net/charge-pass.php

http://www.mychargepoint.net/

So, they do not need to post the fees at the charging station, and you pre-agree to pay ANY amount that the "host" dscides to charge. You agree that it is YOUR responsibility to know what the charges will be.

No receipts issued, right?

So, there might be a old sign saying 5¢ per kWh, but you might be charged $5 per kWh ... and be forced to "pay" the bill.

Reminds me too much of my Public Utility Company.

Like gas-fuel vending, the state will probably get in on this in a few years, in some way.

http://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/chevy-volt-to-get-california-tax-credit-in-2012/

General Motors will come out with a version of the plug-in hybrid that will qualify for the state's generous tax rebates in 2012, Tony Posawatz, vehicle line director for the Volt, told us during a meeting at DistribuTECH taking place this week in San Diego. Most of the work is done on the California version of the car, but some software coding and other technical assignments remain.

Still, General Motors won't exactly be placed on an equal footing with electric car vendors like Nissan and Mitsubishi because of a wrinkle in state law. To qualify for the state rebate, GM has to meet the standards of the Advanced Technology Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle (ATPZEV to his friends) specifications. Those specifications state that cars in this category have to warrant that the battery will last for ten years and/or 150,000 miles. The idea behind the law is to prevent companies from trying to game the regulations by putting out a car with a small battery or a battery that may not last.

Code:
specifications state that cars in this category have to warrant that the battery will last for ten years and/or 150,000 miles. The idea behind the law is to prevent companies from trying to game the regulations by putting out a car with a small battery or a battery that may not last.
The intent of the law is correct - but the details are not. 10 years/ 150k miles is too onerous. They should reduce it.

They should also relook at the naming - "Advanced Technology Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle". Now some of that is not all that advanced anymore. Only plug-ins should meet the PZEV.

evnow said:
The intent of the law is correct - but the details are not. 10 years/ 150k miles is too onerous. They should reduce it.
I disagree somewhat. 120mo/150k mi is a notch above current EV/PHEV battery warranties. You need to set bars higher if you want progress...

The catch here is the specifics of the warranty. What is and is not covered and to what extent. Especially capacity! If materials and labor is the only thing covered for the specified duration then it's not even that huge an increase... but if they want capacity warrantied for ten years that might be a bit tougher.
=Smidge=

I think the warranty for HEVs will automatically incorporate capacity even if it's not specifically stated because the "measured performance" is emissions - and the battery is a critical part of the emissions control system.

A battery that decays too quickly leads to increased ICE use and higher emissions - and knocks the car out of the emissions category.

Smidge204 said:
I disagree somewhat. 120mo/150k mi is a notch above current EV/PHEV battery warranties. You need to set bars higher if you want progress...
True - but the correct way to achieve that would be a progressive tightening of the rules over the years. They can be decided upon and published now so that manufacturers know what to expect and work towards that. Currently the way the rules are, they are prohybrid but anti-plugin.

ps : Let us put it this way. The rules hinder fast development & production of plgins. I think this is one of the reasons for the sloooow release of Prius Plugin.

evnow said:
10 years/ 150k miles is too onerous. They should reduce it.
I disagree it should be reduced but I think that conversation would be better served in a different topic.

I did want to point out however that unless something has changed that I am not aware of there is more than just the 10 years/150k miles battery warranty requirement to get the Enhanced AT PZEV PHEV designation in California. From http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/zevprog/factsheets/clean_vehicle_incentives.pdf
Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEVs)
PHEVs are vehicles that offer electric driving with an electric motor powered by a large battery pack charged by plugging into a source of electricity (wall outlet, solar panels). Only Enhanced AT PZEV PHEVs are eligible for up to a $3,000 incentive. to qualify, the PHEV must be certified as an AT PZEV which means it:
• Meets California’s most stringent tailpipe emission standard
• Has zero evaporative emissions
• Has a 15 yr/150K mile warranty on the emissions system and;
• Has a 10 yr/150K warranty on the zero emission energy storage system.

Regarding size:

I had parked my Volt at a charging station in Portland next to the Worl Trade Center. This 6'3"" guy was admiring my car and asked if he could sit in it to try it out. He seemed to fit comfortably and told me he still had about 2" room above his head. I'm not sure if he pumped the seat all the way down.

Bob T
http://MyPerfectAutomobile.com

I actually saw a Volt on the road today. My wife and I were on I-280 headed north into SF. We were beside a Volt for about 10 miles--I waved and gave the thumbs up but the woman payed no attention. Oh well. The LED headlights were kinda cool.

Spies said:
I did want to point out however that unless something has changed that I am not aware of there is more than just the 10 years/150k miles battery warranty requirement to get the Enhanced AT PZEV PHEV designation in California. ...

• Has zero evaporative emissions
• Has a 10 yr/150K warranty on the zero emission energy storage system.

The 10y/150k mile warranty is doable, it does not mention capacity degradation.. but zero evaporative emission?, even the paint has emissions over the life of the car.

They have Partial Zero-Emission Vehicles (PZEV).

Will conventional ICE cars attempt to designate themselves as PHEV (Partial Hybrid Electric Vehicles)?
(Partial because they lack the EV part?) :lol:

It only refers to the fuel system, under a specified set of operational and testing standards.

Herm said:
The 10y/150k mile warranty is doable, it does not mention capacity degradation.. but zero evaporative emission?, even the paint has emissions over the life of the car.

Check this out.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?6834-Dealer-deceptions-orders-and-allocations

Why "ordering" a Volt and when you get it depends so much on the dealer.

Back