Free charging is NOT a good thing.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pkulak said:
Wait, what??? So the cost of electricity has to be donated, even though I pay for it directly?
You're paying to park, not to charge. The details haven't all been worked out yet, but the OEVA hopes to have a QR code on the machine so that users can make donations to help pay for the electricity.

Free DCQC approach did not work well for Murphy Express, at least not in the long run.
Got the equipment free from Mitshubishi. Cost of electricity wasn't an issue. 50 kW impact on demand charge and increase on kWh usage charges wasn't a problem.
But when Eaton warranty ran out and $3,000 control board failed not willing or able to repair using a FREE business model.
They don't give the gasoline and diesel away free, they charge a significant % of its cost.
Have to do the same with DCQC!

Personally, I think just about every sit-down restaurant/mall/theater in the country ought to put in AT LEAST 2-4 L2 chargers.

You use a credit card to 'start' charging, at about $2.50/hr ALL THE TIME you are plugged in.....

HERE'S the NEW PART.....

Have an RFID or 'smartcard' reader on it, which takes a supercheap SINGLE-USE disposable RFID or smartcard, which the restaurant (or mall or whatever) gives you when you buy stuff (food, gifts, mall stuff, tickets, etc). If you scan it before you unplug, you don't pay for the first 2 (or 3 or 4 for theaters) hours....then you just throw it away.....they have rfid chips under $.10...how to package it is the harder part....but stores/restaurants can logo them as printed cards....

Now you have a system that rewards the casual shopper/eater, gets business into the store/restaurant, and penalizes the ones that want to squat.

If it's a McD's, maybe set the 'free' timer to 1 hr....for a chain sit-down, 2 hours...for a theater or mall, 3 hours...

And the ones that squat and don't 'buy', pay for those who don't.

pthack said:
Personally, I think just about every sit-down restaurant/mall/theater in the country ought to put in AT LEAST 2-4 L2 chargers.

You use a credit card to 'start' charging, at about $2.50/hr ALL THE TIME you are plugged in.....

HERE'S the NEW PART.....

Have an RFID or 'smartcard' reader on it, which takes a supercheap SINGLE-USE disposable RFID or smartcard, which the restaurant (or mall or whatever) gives you when you buy stuff (food, gifts, mall stuff, tickets, etc). If you scan it before you unplug, you don't pay for the first 2 (or 3 or 4 for theaters) hours....then you just throw it away.....they have rfid chips under $.10...how to package it is the harder part....but stores/restaurants can logo them as printed cards....

Now you have a system that rewards the casual shopper/eater, gets business into the store/restaurant, and penalizes the ones that want to squat.

If it's a McD's, maybe set the 'free' timer to 1 hr....for a chain sit-down, 2 hours...for a theater or mall, 3 hours...

And the ones that squat and don't 'buy', pay for those who don't.

Wouldn't even have to go the RFID route, many parking garages use a ticket validation system that works on this exact principle. Or just print a code at the bottom of each receipt they can punch into a number pad on the unit to cut down on waste, car washes have had this method for years.

pkulak said:
I just went to check out the "electric avenue" at PSU today. Basically, it's two quick chargers and a couple level 2s, all free. There were cars parked at each quick charger, both completed, probably forever ago. One of the cars was plastered with signs basically saying "If you unplug me, I'll hunt you down and murder your family." I got a super-competitive, very unfriendly vibe from the place and will not be returning if I can help it. Quick charging can be too expensive (Aerovironment and your $7.50, I'm looking at you), but free is too cheap. When I need a charge, I need it, and don't want to compete with people who have no home charging and are sitting there to (and probably past) 100%.

I have used it early am and haven't had a any problems. Weekends are crazy trying to find a charge spot in downtown.

BiosDude said:
PSU Electric avenue was great a year ago when I got my Leaf (Happy anniversary my trusty electron steed!) You could almost always find an open DCQC and/or L2. I swung by about 3 months ago to grab some food on the way home and some juice. Both DCQC were in use, so I plugged into the single open L2. After grabbing the food, I headed back to witness a guy getting out of his Leaf at a DCQC, grabbing his backpack, and muttering about his 2 hour class and the drinks afterwards. I have no doubt he left his leaf plugged into the DCQC for the 2+ hours. There were 2 L2's available. I do NOT count on getting any juice from that charging location, ever. I loath per session charging models and would prefer to see time based charging with a sliding scale based on kWH consumption. The less kWH you are consuming, the more expensive it is to park there. [start vent] It's a charging station, not a parking space. [end vent]

After 8am you have to pay park, electricity is free, but you have to pay.

Back